Language meanings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still in Bama , for gooder or worser .. where were you when you were here ..

yep picked cotton too , dad was too cheep to hire it out beyond a couple farm hands , so we got to pitch in ..

[quote author=Wendy] add me to the list of Californians who didn't know about "tall cotton."[/quote]

Me three.

When I was I the Navy, back in the early 60's and often was in Boston I found out that a "frappe" was a malted milk and that a "grinder" was a submarine sandwich.  The navy term for a place that served ice cream or sweets on the ship was called a "ge-dunk..I wonder where that came from? I also thought it was weird when I got a hot dog on a funny looking bun (looked like a thick piece of bread that had a slice in the middle for the hot dog. Speaking of ice boxes......we had one when I was a kid and the ice man came (I think) at least once a week carrying that big chunk of ice on his back. I had to dump the water tray on the bottom of the ice box too.

Marsha, it don't take a whole heap a tryin'  fer me to tallk southern.  It comes right natural, but I think you could take 'bout any ole southern Illinois country boy and sit 'im down in Alabama and he'd fit right in 'ere. 

I've been marveling at how many words and phrases are actually common between southern Illinois, where I was raised, and yer stompin' grounds. 

Jus' fer s___s and grins, here's my southern grammar lesson;

Y'all is singular
All Y'all is plural
All Y'all's is plural possessive

old sailor here too

hhmm "scuttlebutt"

The Navy Exchange Mobile Canteen was the "Roach Coach"

"The Roach Coach is making his approach"

codgerbill said:
Speaking of ice boxes......we had one when I was a kid and the ice man came (I think) at least once a week carrying that big chunk of ice on his back. I had to dump the water tray on the bottom of the ice box too.
We had an icebox, too, when we lived in Houston.  When the iceman cometh, we'd sneak chunks of ice from under the tarp on his truck.

Apologies Lou (aka porky) but, whenever I say "sweating like a pig", I get these deer in the headlights look. I change it to "sweating like a pig on a spit" and folks instantly understand  ???

codgerbill said:
The navy term for a place that served ice cream or sweets on the ship was called a "ge-dunk..I wonder where that came from?

Read that to Tom, he said "That's right!"  ;D  He doesn't know where it came from either.

Marti

didnt fall off the turnip truck

he's a real bucket mouth

fit to kill

mom used to say : theres forty eleven ways to do this , theres forty eleven people there , forty eleven whatever

JackHammr said:
didnt fall off the turnip truck

Ohhhh --- I've used that one myself, back when I was talking to (then) teenagers who were trying to "persuade" me that their take on a situation was correct.  ;D

geedunk first appeared in the Leatherneck Magazine ( leave it to the jarheads ) in 1931

origins unknown , but one idea is the geedunk sound vending machines made when you pulled the lever ..

also the National Defense Medal given to all of us who served during Viet Nam , regardless of branch or going there or not , waas referred to as a geedunk medal , along with many others which didnt require any life threating actions to recieve

codgerbill said:
When I was I the Navy, back in the early 60's and often was in Boston I found out that a "frappe" was a malted milk and that a "grinder" was a submarine sandwich.  The navy term for a place that served ice cream or sweets on the ship was called a "ge-dunk..I wonder where that came from? I also thought it was weird when I got a hot dog on a funny looking bun (looked like a thick piece of bread that had a slice in the middle for the hot dog. Speaking of ice boxes......we had one when I was a kid and the ice man came (I think) at least once a week carrying that big chunk of ice on his back. I had to dump the water tray on the bottom of the ice box too.

codgerbill, we had so many Navy experiences in common it's amazing.

Also, on the Ice Box theme, do you remember how your mother signaled to the Ice Man how many pounds of ice she wanted?

Remember the ice tongs he used to carry the ice and the leather shoulder protector he wore?

course on a navy note

Davy Jones Locker

Bravo Zulu

Z grams

Bucket of steam

relative bearing grease

BT punch

seabats

order to guy in after steering " steer by seamans eye

Once in a while my hubby will say "I've been layin' off to do that".  Where is the world does that come from?

Sheila

I don't know Shiela, but I understand it.  ;D

Jackhammer, I was born in Florence, Ala; but my family (lots of them) are from the Tuscumbia area off of route 247 near Red Rock and Cherokee.  I'm from the Hester clan.
And, I don't know what scuttlebutt means????

How about "6 of one and half dozen of another"  I assuming that means its the same both ways, right?

Marsha~

[quote author=Marsha]

And, I don't know what scuttlebutt means? ??? [/quote]

It means rumor, as in "I heard it through the grapevine"
[quote author=Marsha]
How about "6 of one and half dozen of another"  I assuming that means its the same both ways, right?

Marsha~
[/quote]  Pert' near

Porkey,
I hate to admit it but it was soooooo long ago that my codger memory only remembers the iceman bringing the ice chunk into the house and placing in the icebox. I do remember, it was one of my "chores" to make sure the water tray didn't overflow :eek:

As I remember it the scuttlebutt was the drinking fountain on the ship. Same as the watercooler in an office. People gathered round the Scuttlebutt to exchange "gossip/rumors".

I in central Bama , in the woods outside Prattville , grew up in Hayneville , bout 25 miles SW of Montgomery ..

Some Hester's around here , used to see some of 'em regular , been years tho' ..

Used to rodeo with some folks from Florence , seems they lived off 159

In my neck of the woods, Southern Ohio, we use afternoon and evening as synonyms. Evening would go from noon to dark then it was night. This got me in trouble when I entered the University of Cincinnati. I understand the area includes southern Indiana.

When we answered, how are you, some said tolerable well, My uncle said toble well. Most everywhere some answer fair to middlin or at least are familiar to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom