Took the old Eagle for a drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

I picked up the Eagle today from the mechanic and took her for a drive.  I still need some things done but all the running stuff is good.

I went about 60 to 70 miles after I put in $413 worth of diesel, that is a humbling experience.  But the good thing is the needle didn't even budge.

I couldn't enjoy it much as I'm so down in my back I can hardly get up and down and I'm having twinges that take my breath away, as I type this I have ice in the area and its helping a bit.  think I need to go to the doc tomorrow for a look see, not sure what it is.  It may be muscluar but I'm wondering about shingles mom had them and this seems similar, but Tom and I both got the shingles vaccine.  Just need to check I guess. and soon as I finish this I'm going to sit in my adjustabel bed with ice and use my laptop and kick back.  I want to clean the house before hubby gets home, we shall see.

Anyway, I noted some things.  After driving 60 to 65 mph at 65 its about 1800 rpm's so I think that is good. It's only a 4 speed transmission and at about 35 to 40 really takes off, hubby said it has a turbo charger, kind of slow before that to me.  It is really different from the smaller gas one for sure.

I noticed the engine temp never got above 165, the tranny temp got to about 180 I believe so I think that is good?  I don't know what they should run at.  You sure don't get pushed around meeting other semis and that is REALLY good!

I had no  problems at Flying J, in fact several of the truck drivers just grinned and waved, but there was still 1 or 2 lanes open so I wasn't holding anyone up.  I did have to go in and have my charge card preapproved it wouldn't let me pump gas otherwise, hummm.  And I forgot my Flying J card.

I hit one red light that changed on me immediately and I just couldn't stop, no way.  I don't like that, thankfully it was clear but not good.  I try to approach them slow enough I can but that one wasn't even green but a bit, so didn't like that.

The mechanic said I have to order a new windshield wiper switch since I had to take the coach back to Camperland I didn't get that, had forgot to tell him about it. He chuckled and said if you drive in the rain before then you can do this, open the "hood" and plug these 2 wires together, walla wipers!  How funny, well it would work.

Also Tom had said the generator had a leak, I kept trying to tell him where, but he ran it and ran it and just couldn't find it, of course it would not leak,.  He had had it in the shop on a flat surface, so outside it was slanted toward the front.  I started it up and we were running it and I wanted to make sure the AC's ran and we found the leak! There is a little piece he has to order, it stopped but still I was afraid to keep running it so turned it off. I am taking it back anyway for a few things May 1 so unless Tom can get to it that is one.

I found quickly that the dash AC does not do that much in my opinion of course it was 84 and sitting in the sun when we got it.  But I ran it and the dash fans and Sue Anne and I are pretty cold natured so didn't bother us but it would have Tom. Still I can see where this is much different then my little Winnie with ducted air, this will by far not be as efficient. I'm wondering why I can't run both ceiling AC's with 50 Amp, I'm sure the 8k generator would handle it too.  Hubby said they could both be wired to the same switch.  Thoughts on this??

Also found out that the door magnet is starting to have a mind of its own and steps go out when they want to and/or in and not when I want them too.  It's that little round deal on the door because I could touch it and make them work, so need to replace something there.

But I was pleased with the ride, we got on a road they had chopped and removed asphalt from so was pretty rough but we survived, wouldn't want to do that often.

Apparently all those ATS things we were worried about are functioning, batteries were charged, after a short time the AC ran on the gennie so hey seems good. I did read there is a switch under the dash, seems like The manufacturer jerryrigged a few things on these first coaches.  I need to flip it up to charge the gennie battery while driving and didn't.  I think it may also need replaced, will have it checked.

Also he needs to fix my airhorn, we have a beep beep horn, insulting for a big old lady like this.  I will get those things done.

There is one big problem though, I stopped to get the propane tank filled and he couldn't get it to take propane, he said he never had that problem before with any.  He made sure the tank was off to the items.  I have been using propane for the stove and water heater so it flows.  I need to pull the manual and see if we were missing something.  He turned the knob and it would vent, but not fill.  I'm thinking there is some safety feature somewhere I'm missing, any ideas??

I wanted to empty the one tank, but with my ribs I didn't dare try and open that bay, just left it alone.  These bay doors are heavy and hard for me to open too.  Some are ok, some take brute strength, I ordered a couple sets of latches and then I read the plastic ones don't do well.  So yes we have some more things to do, but the big what we thought might be issues were looked at and ended up not having anything wrong so that is good anyway. 

I just found this while searching about the propane tank, bet this is it.

If you have the same type tank as I do (ASME over 20 years old), underneath the fill valve there is a push button safety valve which must pushed in with a small crowbar (or any small bar) while the tank is being filled. You can't see it except from underneath. Most of the guys at the propane places don't know this unless they have been around a while.
Pat

I figure its something like that as it vents and the tank works.  I guess I will take it to our propane distributor and see.  The guy trying to fill it was just a kid, but that just means he might not have been around long enough to see the real old ones.  I will also see if there is anything in our manuals about it.

Congrats on the successful test drive.

As for the propane tank, that's a new one on me although I have seen some older tanks that the bleed valve had to be opened while filling.

All the temps and other characteristics sound about right.

Sorry about the back problems, been there, 2 back surgeries and neck surgery and it seems I can pull a muscle really easy. Generally takes a few days to get over them. Hope you get better soon.

I would like to have left it at the shop to let him finish those items but Camperland had installed a new Winegard dome and it didn't work.  The manufacturer sent a replacement, I  missed the first appointment and told the mechanic I didn't want to do that again.  I want to make sure we get it done so taking it there this evening and they are replacing it tomorrow, said it won't take long and hopefully picking it up in the evening and that will be done.

After Tom gets a chance to do some things back on May 1 for the little items.  Think I will have Camperland fix that step magnet for me though.  I'm afraid I will step down and it won't be there, that sure wouldn't help the old back.

Please keep my son and husband in your thougths right now.  Our son works for the DOD and is about 12 to 20 miles south of the DMZ in S Korea.  I worry everytime some of this stuff goes on over there, you never know what the north will do.  He has lived and worked there over 20 years and says mom its just the way they are.  But you never know when that bunch could go over the edge.

And my husband should be home tomorrow.  He is in Indonesia, but on the next island over from the earthquake and of course there was no tsunami. But then I worry about his routing home as he will go out of Singapore.  So far no missile launch, lets hope its delayed even more.  Still I do have concern in the back of my mind.

Never heard of needing to push any safety lever in on an ASME propane tank, regardless of age.  Oldest I had was a 96, but that's more than not quite the 20 years you cited.

The filler does have a safety interlock of sorts - it is supposed to prevent filling over the 80% mark. Maybe yours was stuck. It's basically just a float valve that closes off the inlet when the liquid propane in the tank reaches high enough.

You might inquire on the American Coach Yahoo Group about any special tank fill procedures. There are other owners of "senior" American Coach there, so they should be able to give first hand advice.

Edit: Corrected my crappy arithmetic!

I found quickly that the dash AC does not do that much in my opinion of course it was 84 and sitting in the sun when we got it.  But I ran it and the dash fans and Sue Anne and I are pretty cold natured so didn't bother us but it would have Tom. Still I can see where this is much different then my little Winnie with ducted air, this will by far not be as efficient. I'm wondering why I can't run both ceiling AC's with 50 Amp, I'm sure the 8k generator would handle it too.  Hubby said they could both be wired to the same switch.  Thoughts on this??

Glad you finally got in a test run!  The dash airs aren't all that wonderful and they take a long time to bring up the coolness in the cab.  Sitting in the sun at 84 would make it a lot hotter in the cab and it would take forever to cool off.  We often run the roof air with the generator.  We have a 10k but I'm sure your 8k could handle it with no problems.  We could run both 15,000 A/Cs but usually only run the front one when we're driving.  It's enough to keep the entire motorhome from being blazing hot.

Re your son and Tom.  I'm kind of hoping the missile will either blow up on the launch pad or it will fizzle and not even get in the air.  It sounds like there wasn't any major damage anywhere so Tom should be fine getting home.  I know you'll be glad to see him!

ArdraF

I checked with Camperland and they do nothing with propane.  So I called our supplier Automatic LP Gas we have propane in our house too.  She said they can look at it in their shop that valves did change quite a few years back, but I would think the previous owners would have changed that.  However, I'm not sure how much they used the fridge, furnace or anything, they look new.  I have 1/4 tank of propane now so just see how it goes.  Knocking off one item at a time.  Bet he buys newer next time! :p

Two of the most intelligent human beings I know on this planet exchanging barbs:  does life get any better than this?  Thanks for the laugh!

Margi

Carolyn - Glad you got to take the old girl out for a ride!  Hope your back feels much better soon.

Margi

Well the missile blew up, good deal.  I wouldn't doubt the US has some very sophisticated interference stuff.  Over 15 years ago my son who worked in communications and computers for the army said you wouldn't believe some of the sophisticated stuff we have,  I sure hope so, but he said that was all he could ever say about it.

It's not really my back, its the band of muscle going around my ribs.  You ladies could relate when it contracts, almost like those childbirth contractions and its only the left side.  I worry more about the anticipation of one of the spasms hitting then it happening.  I decided to go to my doc in the morning.  As DD said he can give me a shot of muscle relaxant and something to help me.  I've tried icing for the spasms now I'm trying the whirlpool tub with epsom salts and see if that helps.  I've done nothing all day really.

Sue Anne has been a doll, she has dumped trash, changed bed sheets, cleaned her bathroom, I haven't looked, but no matter what it will be great. ;)

She has helped me put stuff on pans to fix for dinner, even brought me a drink in bed, plugged up my computer and gave me a kiss.  Of course she is lobbying for a shopping trip she missed yesterday and was pouting about, but oh well.  Help is help. Right now I will take any I can get.

I wanted the house all cleaned up for hubby, at least everything else is and I did a decent job on it a week ago.  If I can run the vacuum I quit.  It will get better, but I think my remodeling and house building days are over.  I know when to quit that.  Now we will see about the lawn and gardening, I hate to give those up too.

Both my 1984 Bluebird and my 1997 Bluebird have tha same identical 45 gallon LPG tank installed, and they just open the bleeder valve while filling untill the tank starts spitting liquid LPG from the valve.

Lee

Keep on chipping at the issues, eventually, you will have a great running coach!  With your experience in houses will tell you, eventually you get it done, sometimes though a fix in one area will lead to following an issue elsewhere. 

In the meantime, nice job on the N Korean missile test!  Whether their ineptitude, or some kind of amazing coincidence of a rocket going through a strange electronic cloud....  1 more down.

I think maybe Un will start strapping the engineers to the sides of the rocket, to make sure they do not explode. 

Now I know son is safe again for awhile and all our soldiers there and all the S Koreans.

And hubby got home this afternoon so that is wonderful too.  Camperland got the new Winegard in and replaced the other new one at no charge and had it for us this afternoon, he and I went up and got it and he drove it home.  He is not pleased with the brakes, he said they need adjusted more.

Now he is out puttering on his new truck.  I said he would come in with feet hitting the ground.  I would be exhausted after a 22 hour flight.

I went to the doc, found out what is wrong with me.  He said I have a separated rib, he thinks my chiro might have done it working on my shoulder, could be.  He put a rib belt on me and gave me pain pills to take.  I couldn't yet because of driving but will tonight.  But already the belt has helped a ton.  Have to watch and not overdo it for a few days.  I wasn't going to go, sure glad I did.

All is good at our house.

And yep we will get the things fixed over time.  Hubby said next time I take it to the mechanic, just list a few specific things and let him fix them, then do it again later.  He tried to go over to much this time so we could get on the road.  But I like those folks, looks like a good place for me to go. 

Tom said he is pretty sure the tank has the old kind of valve, I'm taking it to the propane distributor next week for a looksee.

I said he would come in with feet hitting the ground.  I would be exhausted after a 22 hour flight.

Having traveled the world for a living over many years, I have to say that (your) Tom is a champ! He never fails to amaze me with the stuff he gets stuck into during his brief visits home. I was like that in my younger days, but couldn't keep it up later.

Who was Margi referring to when she said "Two of the most intelligent human beings I know on this planet"  ???

I sure wouldn't claim to be one of those human beings  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom