Took the old Eagle for a drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well. it will practically be brand new! :eek:

He also took the windshield washer tank off, the mechanic had cleaned a bunch of the jell stuff out of it but there was still quite a bit in the bottom of the tank.  It took ammonia, a wire hanger, a microrag, and a long brush but it's nice and clean now. Have new stove grommets too.

The leather furniture is also cleaned and conditioned with leather conditioner.

I think I will also get the windows tinted, that sun is hot in there.  I put up the little snap on cover under the bathroom skylight, all that stuff was in it too.  I have the one for the hallway skylight but the snaps are out of the wood.  I imagine I can find them if I look.  To much heat coming in those.

We have all the keys even the one to the safe, 20 years and all the manuals and everything.  I have been updating the book, I took out all the old equipment papers put the new in with the date of acquisition of the item.

He wants to get on the toad brakes and hook them up too.  He is only here till the 30th and he is going to run out of time I know. He has to much to do for the short time he is here.

We don't have any trouble reselling stuff.  Can't say on this as its so old, hope to use it for awhile. Now I'm not saying we make money on something like this but we would likely recoup quite a bit of it.

I'm slowly going through our 12 year old Holiday Rambler - I like to have things done right as well.  It's amazing how many of these get neglected over time and need to be re-worked.  I almost never recoup all of my cost on these types of projects, but I like to go through it and know what I've got.  Fixing things right is the way to go, in my opinion.  Sounds like you think that way too.  You also write much better than I do - it's a very enjoyable read.

Tom really enjoys doing this stuff, he is just so pressed for time.

He put the windshield washer container back in, drivers side cleaner worked great.  He worked and worked getting the water to come out of the passenger one.  Used the air compressor, the tubes were clear, it was in a little elbow piece and he finally got it to blow out of there, what a chore.  It was just some gunk. 

I've had the icemaker on today and that little thing is just churning out ice, love it.

Now here is one for a good laugh.  I looked and felt and figured and could not figure out how to turn the shower on in the bathroom.  There was no handle to pull up.  No nothing anyplace to turn, nothing on the top of the shower.  I got out the manual and thought how can I be this dumb, nothing on how to turn it on in there.  So I get hubby and told him I can't figure out how to turn this damn thing on, yes I said damn.  He looked and messed with it and said he couldn't either.  So later I'm talking about it again and he says I figured it out.  I'm going are you going to tell me.  Of course, he got a big laugh out of it.  Under the actual faucet on the spout where the water comes out is a little piece.  You pull it down and twist and the shower works.  I have never seen anything like it, he said well I haven't either but something somewhere had to do it.  :-[  Now I feel stupid.

He got the clearance lights on but isn't happy with the way they hook, said he will likely redo them but they are on.

Now he is looking at the PacBrake, we don't think it works.  He oiled the mechanism and we are taking it for a little drive, (right at rush hour) to see if it will work.  He said I will need it.  It's an aftermarket add that Fleetwood did instead of a jake brake, was put on when almost new, I see they paid $1400 for it.  Also see it is a 300 hp engine, didn't know that.

I spent most of my life working in offices, was an accountant but had to write up and explain lots of stuff.  Don't know I'm so good at writing, but I can type pretty fast and like to stay in practice.  You never knew with the world the way it is when you might have to work again sometime though I doubt it.  I keep up with Quickbooks for my rentals.  Have kind of let Exel fall by the wayside anymore but could pick it up again if needed.  I try to stay current as I can.  Also participating on a lot of forums helps too!

I have to get him to get the model number off the Onan so I can order the thermostat housing piece he messed up so it can be replaced.  I need the generator.  He wants to get the air brakes on the toad going and I think that is all before he quits on it this time.

Mechanic to replace the piece on the generator and add an hour meter, seems like that is all we are going to have done right now, oh and recheck the front brakes we don't think they are right, he had just put new ones on them and its pulling to the right some.  He wants to continue going through it over time, but nothing much on it next trip home we are going up to see his mom in Indiana.  Will see how it runs for me whether we will take it or not.  I hope it is fine, our test trip will be after that is fixed to probably Matagorda, I like going down there.  Its a nice camp ground and only a few hours away and I have Good Sams.  It's about 60 miles from a town out there though, would hate to have to have the sucker towed that far.  Hope she is ok.

But last trip my neighbor at the campground had a nice little 2006 Sightseer, couldn't get it running and had to have two different service people come to fix it.

Tom got time to look at the gennie as we were trying to find the model no.  The plate isn't there.  But he made sure it was full of water, just needed a tad and he ran it.  Low and behold he saw the little leak, it was not the place he fixed at all.  He said there were 2 bolts he must have not tightened back good and he tightened them.  We let it run, no more leak, YES!  But really makes me wonder about the mechanic. hummm.

He found out the problem with our air horn needs some kind of switch I'm ordering. 

The hour meter inside on the dash now says no prog, we are not sure if it goes to the gennie or engine yet.
We may fix it or may just put one on the gennie.

Hubby is leaving tomorrow afternoon.  He is messing with the televisions still, not sure what he is doing. And we are hoping for the air release valve to get here tomorrow.  He said there is nothing to putting it on so if it doesn't get here in time he will show me how.  That's it for him.

He will be gone another 10 weeks, that's a long time.  He mowed today, sprayed weedkiller around everything here and at the rentals to cut down on my weedeating, but I still may hire help.  I was cleaning in the garage and stuff and somehow hurt my separated rib again.  Been trying to take it easy and will continue.

But nothing else going on for now.

Ok, TV's are working, hubby said he wants to run a couple of new wires but can't now so I have one dangling and that's ok, he is going to take off the padded cap above and put the wires behind there on one of his next trips home.  Also we are going to look into fastening the TV on a bracket that will fold back up, but for now it will be in a padded pocket and I will set it up when stopped. The back TV is mounted.

I am getting the mirrors replaced at the end of the coach, something with maybe a smoky appearance and in panels instead of the one big one.

Getting the propane fill checked to see why we can't, hoping I don't have to replace the tank but will if necessary.

Maybe a new battery for the generator, its down, but it only charges when running and that switch is on so it may be good as I never knew I needed to do that, now I know.  But it is the wrong size for the cage.

We also decided to let the mechanic flush and refill the radiator and the filters with it.  I think that's it for now and we are good to go.  Nothing is getting hot but with the Texas heat to come I think this will be a wise thing to do.

Hubby got the air release valve and he is putting it on the pacbrake, we know it was bad, so hoping this fixes that.

Air release valve is on and we went for a short drive, the pacbrake is now working, however, he said to much air is escaping around the cylinder.  Could probably use it but might have air escaping where I would have to turn it off and on.  So we ordered it from the manufacturer in BC, was $85, so not bad.  He showed me where it goes on, said it won't even take an hour to change it out.

We priced a new way more efficient PacBrake 50% more efficent for $792, decided not to do that for now, the one we have works.  If we keep it for sometime we may change it out.

So left to do, propane fill valve being checked, hope we don't have to replace tank.

Hour meter going on generator if the other can't be repaired.

Radiator flush and new filters

New mirrors on end wall

Change out cylinder on Pacbrake when received

Have another set of keys made for everything

Check to see if generator battery is charging and/or be sure to take my little charger setup that would also start the motorhome

Take extra oil when we go because we have no idea if it uses any, hubby said diesels are different and will use some.

Rehang curtains in front window, sew in one hook first.  Clean inside and outside thoroughly.  Bays are already packed.  Getting very very antsy. 2 weeks?  depends on mechanic and if propane tank needs replaced.

I'm excited, nothing wrong with my propane tank.  It's a 1992 and I read on another forum how some are filled.  They open the vent all the way and there is a red button underneath that you push and lets it receive the propane.  A younger guy came out and filled it and two older guys said they just learned something.

I think the owner took off out there because I was having to turn around and come in in a sort of enclosed space.  He was nervous at first.  When I had to back out to leave, none of them were anywhere to be seen so I guess I passed that test!

Set up for next Monday to have the mirrors on one wall replaced, wanted beveled but there was one they had to cut and said they couldn't and make it look right so we will see what I have.  I told them if need be in that one spot by the W/D I can put a piece of trim. 

Tuesday back to the mechanic for flush and odds and ends, getting to the home plate soon!

Well, I sure hope to go soon.  I have my lawn care at the house and rentals lined up.  Same person I'm going to pay a small weekly retainer for my renters to call.  Leave him a Home Depot gift card with money if he needs to buy supplies.  And if he has to work on fixing something he can do electrical and other stuff.  Have a plumber and a carpenter too if need be.  This time I won't get called back home in the middle of things.

My tenant next door will care for the dog and chicks.  I'm not sure what to do about my garden.  Hubby said I need to quit having one till I decide "to settle down".  I fear he is right.  That and a few minor repairs are holding me back now.

I HAVE A BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM, HUGE PROBLEM!!

In the little Winnie, Black my cat had it made.  I removed the makeup bench and used that cubbie for her litter box.  I sat her food and water in the shower when we were traveling on a mat so it wouldn't slide around and she could eat and drink.  And while driving we had a couch with room under it and she would go down from the top between the couch and the wall.  I had a blanket under there and she had a cozy hiddy hole.  She was a happy little girl.

But now what?  No dresser area.  The bathroom door has a doggie door with the parts gone so I can put her litter box in there.  But it has a tub with a glass shower door that opens like a house door so no way to put her food dishes in there.  If I put them on the floor going to do a dance getting to the commode in there.  Maybe put them under the kitchen table or in the corner near the fridge, but I can see the water slopping around, but ok we can deal with that.

Also have to relocate the litter box when we stop for the night to the bedroom.

But where can Black hide while traveling?  The diesel is loud in the bedroom, probably better once the mattress and spread is on, I'm sure that will muffle it somemore. The dynamat muffles it quite a bit already. I don't think she can get behind the couch and under it, its tighter and hate to see the leather ifshe did climb up the corner.  Where can she go while we are traveling so she won't be scared.  Any ideas?  She is to old to leave, last 2 times I did some years back she grieved and almost starved herself.  She only weighs 7 pounds anyway so she doesn't have much to lose.  She does not take up with other people, she is a one woman, one girl cat.

When Tom is home he won't let her in the bedroom at night, so each morning she is sitting outside my door waiting.  The first evening he left, here she came purring till her little purr squeaked.  She would sit beside me and make little meow noises while just staring at me.  She is rotten.

I just want her happy and comfy and not scared out of her wits, since she is 16 she won't be with us to many more years.

Take her on several long day trips and see where she lands. I bet she finds her own spot without any humans help; remember, we're just staff to her.  ::)

Forgot to add, when hubby added the new terminal block and hooked the wiring up good and solid from the main power ATS box, we found that both AC's will work at the same time on 50 Amp. Coincidence or maybe  someone fixed them so they do and we didn't realize it.    We kept forgetting to get a 50 to 30Amp to check what it does then.  He said if you get on one of those then just turn on one AC unit and you may have to switch to back or front but only run one on 30Amp.  He wanted to check that out and see why they both did that but didn't have a chance.

Anyway with 2 15k units running and all the parks I've been in have 50Amp we should be 2 cool cucumbers.

I'm gluing some things back today and hope they hold,  its decorative stuff.

I should have gotten my Pacbrake cylinder sent 2 day delivery and didn't, now I'm still waiting for it and can't set up the mechanic appointment till I get it, bummer.  I'm hoping no more stuff that we want him to do, 2 or 3 days at the most will get it.  I know he has to work around the work trucks, the ones that make money for people to get to ours and that's ok.  Their rates are much less so its worth the wait.

I have 3 drawers that come open when driving, thinking of putting velcro on both sides so they will stick.  One is under the oven, on is a bottom side of the bed drawer in the bedroom, the other is one under the stack of drawers by the wardrobe, all the rest stay closed.

Also I'm going to get a roll of some kind of cushioning tape to go around the bathroom door, it is loose and rattles, it doesn't close tight.  I CANNOT stand rattles.  I guess I could look at the plate in the doorjam and see if it needs set over, but doubt there would be enough thickness for that, even if it needed it.

We had a window rattle on the drivers side, when he put the new mechanism in, it went away.  Probably loose stuff inside there. I want to drive a few times and see if I hear anymore rattles and fix them if I do.

I saw there was like a cushion tape around the windows and thought it was to mount storm windows or something on.  I just realized the other day, its on the walls to keep the aluminum blinds from rattling.  The original gray aluminum blinds are in it.  I saw one when I put them down at the kitchen table where I think a dog bit it, small dog!  Otherwise they are nice.  I suppose I will keep them though I like the ones we put in the other motorhome better.  They were the ones where I could push a button and they went up and down.

He said when he gets home on one of his rotations we are going to jack the motorhome up and scrape out the rest of the old insulation that is around the engine and put in the dynamat and also around the generator. I can't help but think an 8 inch thick mattress and bedding will dampen that sound even more back there.  I put new around the box where the bed is.  Have my new CO2 detector back there and need to put up the new smoke detector in the front.

Wonder what I did with my other fire extinguisher, I want another in the bedroom, one under the kitchen sink and one at the front door.

I am going to hook up the water again, wash a loade of clothes, get water in the black and gray water tanks and see if there are anymore leaks.  He said he got them all, but to check again.

He gave me a type of putty stuff he said has been used for years for leaks.  He said you work it around kind of like playdoh and then stick it  to wherever the leak is.  He said in the past he had used it for gas tank leaks, water leaks, and it will adhere to about anything.  He told me if I have any leak in a tank anywhere to use that, so I have it stashed. I don't know the name of it, he pitched the tube it was in.

If you go to a pet store they have water bowls that are spill proof.  They have a cover on them that allows the cat or dog to drink but they don't spill.

We have a couple of drawers that come open with travel and solved the problem by buying some 1/4 in dowels and slipping them through the handles.  Maybe that will work for you as well.

Daisy

Sounds like a good idea.  Not sure why the one under the stove comes open, ordinarily I can't even get the blankety blank thing to open!!

I guess I'm also going to buy a new step.  I hate to, it works fine.  BUT, a rivet came out and the guys put a bolt in, it sheared.  But the real issue is if I step on it it goes way down.  I bought a little metal piece to put under it and hold it ridgid but only can do that when we are camped.  It just gives way down when you step on it.  I think its just old and worn out.  With all the trouble I have with my feet and back and Sue Anne too all we need to do is step down on the thing and it breaks.  It could hurt us or guests badly so spending some more $$$$ to get that thing replaced.

We know it will always be something.  But I told hubby today I looked in PPL at some newer ones and I don't like much of what I see.  And even a 2001 Eagle is $60k and that's 11 years old and saw a newer other brand for $90, a 2008 and didn't like it at all and those will need work too.  But I can sure tell the difference in the way these are built compared to the others.  We can fix this one, some of the newer ones are really fragile. 

He just laughs, we figure we will have 1 more before we stop.  I hope this one is ok and will go for us long as we want to go in all honesty.  I'm not letting him loose to go look at one again, I remember the last time.  I couldn't believe he bought it!

Ok, question.  I filled my diesel tank last week, its down a bit now.  But I have noticed what appears to be some dribbles from the diesel fuel cap on the panel below the door outside, only reason I saw it is it had attracted dirt.  These are those velvac caps.  I went up to the auto store to see about getting a new gasket, he said just turn it over and use it.  I did notice a bit of a grove on the one side so will do that.

I looked on the net and it gives the part number for the new gasket alone but you couldn't order them online, I'm sure my truck place will have them.  but my question is, does the tank pressurize or something for this to happen?  Or does the diesel just slosh up the fill tubes?  I'm sure the gasket will fix it but why would it do that?

The tank isn't pressurized, in fact it's vented.  A full tank can slosh fuel up to the cap.  Try flipping the gasket but you'll probably need a new one.  Caps and/or gaskets should be available at any decent auto/truck parts store.

Back
Top Bottom