It's official. I HATE WINDOWS 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SeilerBird said:
No viruses or malware possible.

you keep believing that... Viruses are not always maliciously created.. and malware is always available for every OS, regardless of manufacture.

I have an antivirus software on my tablet & cell phone, for the very reason of: I have been around computers since the 1970's 

Pantharen said:
you keep believing that... Viruses are not always maliciously created.. and malware is always available for every OS, regardless of manufacture.

I too have been around computers since the 1970s. I have been going online since the 80s. I have been using Windows since 2.1 in 1987. I have never used anti virus or anti malware software. I have never gotten a virus or any malware. Security does not depend on the OS, it depends on the user. If you follow safe computing practices then getting a virus is virtually impossible. With the Chromebook it is totally impossible to get a virus. The Chrome OS won't run an executable. Without executable files then viruses become totally impossible especially since Chrome runs everything in a sandbox. It is Linux based. Chromebooks have been out for two years, they are the number one selling laptop on Amazon and not one report of a virus. Google keeps a tight lid on malware. It will give you a huge warning if you attempt to go to a site that has malware. I never go to those type of websites anyway so there is no chance I will get malware.

SeilerBird said:
I too have been around computers since the 1970s. I have been going online since the 80s. I have been using Windows since 2.1 in 1987. I have never used anti virus or anti malware software. I have never gotten a virus or any malware. Security does not depend on the OS, it depends on the user. If you follow safe computing practices then getting a virus is virtually impossible. With the Chromebook it is totally impossible to get a virus. The Chrome OS won't run an executable. Without executable files then viruses become totally impossible especially since Chrome runs everything in a sandbox. It is Linux based. Chromebooks have been out for two years, they are the number one selling laptop on Amazon and not one report of a virus. Google keeps a tight lid on malware. It will give you a huge warning if you attempt to go to a site that has malware. I never go to those type of websites anyway so there is no chance I will get malware.
Where's the "biting tongue" emoticon?

SeilerBird said:

Online since the 80's huh... Well, seeing as "Online" didn't happen until the mid 90's. and windows 2.1 wasn't released until spring of 1988.

Being that Malware can be created for the x-windows, and I have seen malware attach itself to ubuntu, Linux, & Unix have had their fair share of viruses, being that a virus isn't always created on purpose.

Some of the most secure computers in the world ie: machines running Sun Micro, are still effected by viruses.. So you keep believing what you like, and I'll believe what I know.

Pantharen said:
Online since the 80's huh... Well, seeing as "Online" didn't happen until the mid 90's. and windows 2.1 wasn't released until spring of 1988.
Yep, 1986 or so with a 2600 baud modem that cost me $600. I spent a lot of time on local BBSs. The Internet did not happen until the mid 90s but that is not the only way to get online. I was wrong about the Windows 2.1 date, I was smoking a lot of pot at that point in m life
Being that Malware can be created for the x-windows, and I have seen malware attach itself to ubuntu, Linux, & Unix have had their fair share of viruses, being that a virus isn't always created on purpose.

Some of the most secure computers in the world ie: machines running Sun Micro, are still effected by viruses.. So you keep believing what you like, and I'll believe what I know.
And all those systems can run executables. Chrome cannot. Clearly you know nothing about Chromebooks so maybe you should do some reading before you go on believing what you know.

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/security-overview

To be fair, many of us were heavy into bulletin board systems in the 80's; a precursor to the www.
I remember my wife getting mad at me for tying up the phone line....

SeilerBird said:
Yep, 1986 or so with a 2600 baud modem that cost me $600. I spent a lot of time on local BBSs. The Internet did not happen until the mid 90s but that is not the only way to get online. I was wrong about the Windows 2.1 date, I was smoking a lot of pot at that point in m lifeAnd all those systems can run executables. Chrome cannot. Clearly you know nothing about Chromebooks so maybe you should do some reading before you go on believing what you know.

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/security-overview

Those of us that were modem heads, we not online, we were Modem heads.. Early 90's is when the Intranet was first available.

give it time, and Chrome apps will eventually fall victim to the virus world.. Not all viruses need to be executed in the same manor, seeing as you are not getting it.. NOT ALL VIRUSES ARE CREATED ON PURPOSE.. My Droid (which is made by Google) can't run an exe, and yet last week I had to factory reboot it, as i got a virus..

JavaScript runs in the browser and can be used to write a virus.

Ned said:
JavaScript runs in the browser and can be used to write a virus.
aw-shucks, Ned, minds are made up... opinions declared.... then you come along and confuse the issue with facts. ;)

I turn Javascript off. No reason to run it. That keeps those stupid news sites from running a video when I go there to read a story.

JS itself isn't a virus building language nor does it have access to the system. It's isolated in the browser. However, JS can be used to redirect you to a malicious site or embed an iframe that displays the malicious site. But JS isn't the language that carries out the attack, it just aids the attack.

Chrome won't allow an unauthorized redirect.

2600 baud.... Gosh that was fast!!!! It was about 110-300 baud when I started poking around with that stuff, both at work and at home, about 1970!!!

I might be interested in a Chromebook if all I did was view web pages - without fully viewing them.  But, alas, I have many applications that have little or nothing to do with the Internet except, perhaps, for updates.  If a Chromebook can't run these, I'm sure it would be out the Windows (pun intended).  I'd rather live a little more dangerous than that.

Molaker said:
I might be interested in a Chromebook if all I did was view web pages - without fully viewing them.  But, alas, I have many applications that have little or othing to do with the Internet except, perhaps, for updates.  If a Chromebook can't run these, I'm sure it would be out the Windows (pun intended).  I'd rather live a little more dangerous than that.
I still have to keep my W7 laptop because I can't run Lightroom any other way. But for everything else I can do it in my Chromebook. Chromebooks are definitely not for everyone.

SeilerBird said:
With the Chromebook it is totally impossible to get a virus.
After reading your reference to security overview, "Guiding principles". I don't think the author agrees with you.

Alfa38User said:
2600 baud.... Gosh that was fast!!!! It was about 110-300 baud when I started poking around with that stuff, both at work and at home, about 1970!!!

I had a 110 baud with a manual dial, and manual handshake in an acoustic cradle. I tell ya, gettin my first 1200baud was like getting broadband for the first time.. it was lightening fast.. no more buttons to push, no more silicon on the phone to make sure the seal was good between the cradle & the hand set.. I was in heaven at 1200 ;)

eliallen said:
After reading your reference to security overview, "Guiding principles". I don't think the author agrees with you.
Do a Google search on viruses and Chromebook and you get absolutely no one claiming they have had a virus. Yes it is still technically possible for Chromebook to get a virus but the odds against it are very long. Well over two years the best selling laptop has never been infected.

SeilerBird said:
Do a Google search on viruses and Chromebook and you get absolutely no one claiming they have had a virus. Yes it is still technically possible for Chromebook to get a virus but the odds against it are very long. Well over two years the best selling laptop has never been infected.

and Chromebook IS NOT a real computer.. You cant do Jack sh.. on them, except browse the web, and read emails.. You cna't play online games, as you cannot install unityplayer, you can't do your work stuff, as they dont run MS Office.. Chrome Book is like having a laptop Cell phone, its ok in a pinch, but int he real world a Laptop works better..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom