It's official. I HATE WINDOWS 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give them to the kids for drink coasters and wait for them to ask you what those are.

catblaster said:
I'm with you guys....I quit Autocad when they went to the GUI program. Tired of trying to learn all the symbols when trying to make a simple drawing and could do it faster with the keyboard and shortcuts. BTW what was so bad about wordperfect or wordstar?? Its like the symbols they have placed on the buttons and knobs of our vehicles, jut put a label on them instead of some arbitrary symbol...might as well be Chinese.....rant button off now :mad:

There are many programs where you can turn off the menu bars with the Icons many worship (I typed it that way on purpose) and use.... The very same keyboard shortcuts you are used to from WORDSTAR.

I only use a few basic shortcuts myself but CTRL C, X and V are my favorites.. I mean if my hands are on the KB.. I will select a portion to highlight using the SHIFT and cursor or other navigation keys.    And that just names a FEW shortcuts.. No need for the rodent.  Just as an example.. Next time you post.. Read what is printed on your screen below the compose box and the bold faced "Attachments and other options"  Yup, A keyboard shoutcut.

I have an old USB attached floppy reader that came with one of the IBM think pads that I purchased years ago.  I'm keeping it just in case the producers of the TV shows, Cold Case or CSI should ever call and want me to recover some ancient incriminating data for them.

John From Detroit said:
I only use a few basic shortcuts myself but CTRL C, X and V are my favorites.. I mean if my hands are on the KB.. I will select a portion to highlight using the SHIFT and cursor or other navigation keys.
When dBASE II was introduced many years ago, all of the WordStar shortcuts were included - and in their latest complete rewrite of that old package - they are still there. As with you the only ones I still use are copy and paste - Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. Remember the SEX D cursor movements?

WordStar was king of the hill for many years - but just another example of the importance of software vendors developing new features and version upgrades - or die. The only thing left of WordStar are the shortcuts that other vendors added because at the time most used WordStar as a word processor.

WordPerfect was to WordStar as Apple has been to MS. They moved ahead with more features than WordStar and quickly stole their customer base. Apple moved ahead with Tile/App based technology and almost left MS behind. I've mentioned before here that if one goes to Fry's, Best Buys, or any major computer store - they will see a sea of blue screens on Smart Phones, Tablets, and computer displaying the Win8.1 Start screen. That's the MS strategy and they will for sure stick with it in order to compete with Apple, Google, and/or whoever.

And I can assure you they could care less about someone wanting to stick with XP - or at least care enough to spend any more development dollars to make sure outdated software works OK on their latest OS versions.

I occasionally get calls from those using very early versions of my SW - wanting to know why I don't support it anymore. My response is simply, I can't afford to - while trying to keep my feature base at least to the level of the many competitors writing similar SW.

Talk about misery loves company, I just bought a new MAC, and WIN 8.1 and downloaded it on the MAC. I figured it will be a hugh learning curve, but I believe WIN 8 is the future. so Might as well learn it now and not look too out of it with my grandchildren.

XP was and I still believe is a great operating system.  Sorry to see it go.

Well have to go upstairs and see if all is well.  2 glasses of wine will help the process......

I have just finished reading this thread from start to finish because I may soon need a replacement laptop and most come with Win8.

As was mentioned somewhere in the thread, the geeks love it, the average user is at sea with it.

Further, I am astonished that to make Win8 usable for the average user, the experts direct the average user to jump through the hoops of adding myriad fixes and work-arounds.  That necessity alone highlights the very reason the Win8 is hated, and apparently the hate is richly deserved.

I think I'll find some way to keep the old laptop running (on Vista Home Premium) until something more user friendly comes along..... 

SeilerBird said:
Something more friendly has come along. Chromebook.
    Tom, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet - with an external Bluetooth keyboard. Is that essentially a Chromebook? Was a bit worried about only Wi-Fi but with FoxFi on my Samsung smartphone I can get on line most all the time. OTOH, though Wi-Fi is out there most everywhere - good Wi-Fi isn't.

Chromebooks hit the low end market by storm and up until recently were Amazon's number one best seller. However, MS has attack that market with the T-100. That gives the user in the low end market a 10" tablet and laptop with Win8.1 in a single package plus 64gb solid state hard drive (if I read the ad correctly) - plus a quad core processor MS Office installed. The latest from Amazon is that it has replaced the Chromebook as their number one best seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Laptop-Computers/zgbs/electronics/565108/

gmsboss1 said:
I think I'll find some way to keep the old laptop running (on Vista Home Premium) until something more user friendly comes along.....
    One of finest points about Windows 8.1 is the fact that a single keystroke takes you to your desktop where you will find, essentially - Windows 7. The praise level for 7 (especially after the fiasco of Vista) has been very high. Mainly because it looks an feels like XP, but with much more capability. For example, I especially love the ease of networking several 7's together - or a 7 with an 8.1. Lots of RVers are doing this so as to share two machines.

I get personal feedback from the users of my own software. Many of my users are switching from XP to 8.1. And that is because, as you write, that is how most new machines are delivered these days. And those that for whatever reason do not especially like having to dig into the Start Screen of 8.1 - are very pleased that single keystroke takes them to what they are already familiar with in 7. It then does not take me long while wearing my Help Desk hat to point out some very nice Windows 7 desktop features for them.

So keep that in mind when considering when to update your laptop. Suggest going to any major computer store and pound around on their display models - and especially find that single keystroke (just click the Desktop Tile). From there you can dig into Win 8.1 as your time and desire allows.

Bob Buchanan said:
    Tom, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet - with an external Bluetooth keyboard. Is that essentially a Chromebook? Was a bit worried about only Wi-Fi but with FoxFi on my Samsung smartphone I can get on line most all the time. OTOH, though Wi-Fi is out there most everywhere - good Wi-Fi isn't.
No it is not the same thing. How long does it take to boot? Chromebooks take 8 seconds. It runs Windows products so it is vulnerable to viruses and malware, Chromebooks are not. So if you want to run Windows programs then this is not the laptop for you. However if you want to kiss MS goodbye it is a great way to do it.

Good Wifi is not available everywhere, but what is available is good enough for me. I don't download anything unless I am at home. I realize that might not work for you.

I paid $206 for my 14" HP Chromebook, and the Galaxy Note is more money and a much smaller screen.

I am not saying you should have a Chromebook, they are not for everyone. But if they do work for you then they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Love this topic because I understand so little of it.  We have an XP laptop, Vista laptop and Win7 PC.  The Vista (bought used) was set up for a business and the wife has finally learned to live with all the extra "junk" (as she calls it).  I never touch that one.  There is no 8 in my future.  Seven works just fine.  The XP was only bought so I can run a genealogy program (complete 1880 census) I use frequently.  I still believe that support for XP was discontinued to force more 8 sales.  Lots of XPs still out there - the local hospital has over a thousand machines with it I am told. 
But in closing, if you ever think you had a gripe, think back to that worst of all Windows programs - Windows ME (aka Blue Screen All The Time).  It was so bad and I was so lacking in computer knowledge at the time (not much better now) that after 89 days (90 day return allowed), I took it back to Sears and told them the whole computer was defective.  Later learned how ungreat ME was.

gmsboss1 said:
Further, I am astonished that to make Win8 usable for the average user, the experts direct the average user to jump through the hoops of adding myriad fixes and work-arounds.  That necessity alone highlights the very reason the Win8 is hated, and apparently the hate is richly deserved.

No special fixes and work-arounds are needed, just setting the options that Windows 8.1 offers are sufficient.  But people's confirmation bias won't let them even explore what Windows 8.1 can do.  As I've said, my Windows 8.1 looks almost exactly like my previous Windows 7 desktop, I rarely see the start screen and then only when I want to, and I used no special fixes or any 3rd party addons, just the built in Windows 8.1 settings.  I actually find Windows 8.1 easier to use in many respects than Windows 7.  I have easier access to the tools like Control Panel, the disk and device managers, logoff and shutdown, etc. than I did in Windows 7.  If people would stop fighting their computer and change a few simple options, they would be much happier.

Vista is a good reason to replace it or upgrade it.  It should run Windows 7 if you just want to upgrade the OS and the hardware is still good.  Otherwise, there are still laptops with Windows 7 available.

Ned said:
IF people would stop fighting their computer and change a few simple options, they would be much happier.

Sounds like you should give a seminar at the next rally Ned!  I would be the first in line to sign up!

I'm such a novice and unsophisticated computer user that I probably shouldn't even comment on this topic, but I find that if I set all settings available to me, down to the most granular level possible, that I understand more about what is going on, and what to expect when I click on an item, then when I simply see 6 or 8 large Group ICONs on a screen.  Clicking on these large ICONs usually just opens another screen with more choices that I have to sort through anyway.

The screen shots are just one small example.  I usually have the folder options set down to the details level (i.e. file name, type, size, mod date, etc...

As I get more familiar with each operating system I find I can set things to a higher level of GUI and still navigate through things.  I guess I'm just a details oriented guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-05-18 11.22.00 (Small).png
    Screenshot 2014-05-18 11.22.00 (Small).png
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2014-05-18 11.27.43 (Small).png
    Screenshot 2014-05-18 11.27.43 (Small).png
    133.7 KB · Views: 13
Lou, I have my Explorer set to details view as well, and the control panel as in you second image.  I, too, don't like having to dig for something.  That's one big advantage of the Windows 8.1 start button, the right click menu has of the Windows tools I use the most.

Attachments

• StartButtonMenu.png
    StartButtonMenu.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 11
SargeW said:
Sounds like you should give a seminar at the next rally Ned!  I would be the first in line to sign up!

All of those options have been described in the various tech blogs many times.  WindowsSecrets and ZDNet have had articles on customizing Windows for a long time.  A little searching on Google is all it takes to find what and where.

Ned said:
But people's confirmation bias won't let them even explore what Windows 8.1 can do.
So true, it seems. Every user I work with that expresses the kind of hate stuff I read here when asked what tutorial, on line help, or any kind of "how to" literature prior to working with 8.1 responds, none - or very little. I don't knock that as I also will begin any new package by just pounding around. But will then dig in by "reading the manual".

Had a client call one day actually angry with me, asking - why can't your SW allow me to move a reservation from one site to another. So w/remote desktop I pulled down the Help menu, went to FAQ's - specifically to the one that read, "How to move a reservation from one site to another".

As I've said, my Windows 8.1 looks almost exactly like my previous Windows 7 desktop, I rarely see the start screen and then only when I want to, and I used no special fixes or any 3rd party addons, just the built in Windows 8.1 settings.
I wondered about that with you, Ned. I suspect that most users just click to the desktop vs. spending their session via the tiles or menus from the Start Screen. But that is probably because most do not have a touch screen - which was the whole idea to move to a tablet type app tile interface and always on line.

OTOH, as I look at the new T-100 from ASUS - a removable touch screen laptop, I can see users getting into the Start screen to a higher degree. Was looking at computer displays last week at Best Buys - and played around with a touch screen 8.1 desktop. But just can't see myself reaching over my keyboard and getting my greasy fingers on my 21" high res monitor that I am about to mess with photo images.

i tried the beta of Windows 8 the first day it was offered. I hated it. Not because of the lack of a start button and not because of the stupid tiles or the lack of a shut down button. I knew those would all be fixed in later versions. What I didn't like is the stupid ribbon menus. The old style menus worked just fine, why did they mess with it? The ribbon menu is not an improvement, in fact every time I use Windows Paint on Win7 I have to put up with a ribbon menu and I can never find what I want. This is what forced me into using Chrome and I have not missed Windows for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom