1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alzee

Hello all,

I am going to purchase a trailer trailer;Grand design 2950rl, 33feet and around 7500 ibs. I am so happy nature of how to match my tow vehicle.  Should I get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?  Leaning towards a ford 250. Please help.

Alzee said:
Hello all,

I am going to purchase a trailer trailer;Grand design 2950rl, 33feet and around 7500 ibs. I am so happy nature of how to match my tow vehicle.  Should I get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?  Leaning towards a ford 250. Please help.

At LEAST an F-250. At 33' and 7500 lbs (dry?) an F-350 is needed.

Just my .02's worth.

That's a lot of trailer, and probably weighs more than you think, and the 1/2 ton probably safely hauls less than you have been told.    You can see where I'm going with this...... ;D

About the same size as our TT... and I wouldn't want to get pushed around by the wind and turbulence of 18-wheelers in a 1/2 ton.  My Ram 2500 handles this OK. I upgraded the truck first knowing I would be getting a bigger trailer. When we got it in August, I was glad to have the bigger truck and the pulling power of the Cummins. The difference is night and day.

Wow, this site is great. A lot of smart experienced people. I apologize for my typo in my original message. meant to say this can be very confusing trying to select the right tow vehicle. after all the input, I am going with a 3/4 ton Ford f 250 with the Diesel engine. Really looks nice in black. Moreover, my Imagine 2950RL fully loaded can easily get up to 8500IBS.  Thank you all for your help!!!!

Yes smart choice. One reason I went with an F350 is so my choices of trailers was larger. 5th wheels included. Good choice!

Check the cargo carrying capacity on the pillar label on driver's side. We looked at a few 3/4 trucks but some just didn't have the CCC to tow our weight GVW 10,000lbs. Do a search on this topic, lots of info here.

both are too small don't buy something that's under rated before you start. Ford 350-450 and Dodge and Chevy 3500-4500. don't play with toys get a tool to do the job. Never go over 5/8-3/4 the recommended load you plan to use. Just look through the forum and look at post like over heating, bad transmission, bad brakes, the real answer nobody wants to hear is your truck is too small. If you're pulling lawnmowers 1/2 - 3/4 ton is fine if you're pulling 30ft + trailers get a real truck. Personally I like the F450

The 250 is more than enough & is still big enough if you later decide to get a bigger trailer.

3/4 ton, good choice. I'm going through the same exercise. Comparing capabilities you get much more capacity in the 3/4 ton for almost the same money as a less capable 1/2 ton.

Nice thing about the F-250's is there seem to be a lot more of them than 350's, so it's easier to find exactly the truck with options you want. My personal preference is the 350 or 3500 range just because I always seem to like "industrial grade", but that's something I should probably seek counseling about. ?

For any towed RV over 28 feet, a 350/3500 should/would be the "Ticket". SRW or DRW.  You'll never look back. (except to hook up, back up, or change lanes ?  ;))

BIG JOE said:
For any towed RV over 28 feet, a 350/3500 should/would be the "Ticket". SRW or DRW.

Just curious here.  Why would it be okay to tow a 27 foot RV with a 250, but not a 28 footer?  I think I and others would benefit from seeing some data and reasoning behind your thoughts.

And I think it's necessary now days to specify what model year is in mind when we talk about towing.  A 2017 250 is a far different tow animal then any other past or present. Same engines, same axles, same wheelbase (SRW), same shocks, same springs in both 250 and 350. What do you get with a 350 that is better?  What about the 350 is needed based on RV length?  You must have wind effects in mind no?  2017 250 even a gasser 4.3 axle 160" wheelbase has a GVWR of 9900#, conventional tow ability of 15,000# and GCGVW of 22,000#, payload of ~3500# axles at ~ 6200-6400 each front and rear. Frame, suspension, shocks, are really beefy and it's 2" taller now to. --- don't take my word, read the car & truck reviews and see videos of what the gear heads are saying.  A 350 has the same tow weight ratings as the 250 --- gas or diesel.

The 350  only adds between 400 and 1000 # to front and rear axles combined but loses about 200# of payload.  I am comparing same spec-ed vehicles.  If a 250 has all the power and equipment and ability to do the tow job required, why insist on a 350?

If you haven't done so, go look at a new 250.  I think you'd like it ---one heck of a big truck loaded with towing and driving safety technology and snazzy interior.  Linda

Should'a been a little more clear ? Just an opinion # 1, based on my own personal experiences from 60 years of Construction Equipment operation, and OTR time.. in Big trucks and RV'ing.... I'm not THEE expert, and don't pretend to be.

It's just my belief that towing anything over 28/30+ feet, or over 10/12K GVW needs a "Prime Mover".. a bit MORE than capable of doing the towing task. Not only in Weight Distribution, but in Braking, Stability and Power, Gearing and Suspension (SRW/DRW) features also.

I guess I'm just saying: IF purchasing a Towable RV of over 28/30 feet.. as a consideration, if you take the Time, and do the Math.. The capabilities of a 350/3500 to do that Work, Safely and Well.. Far out weighs the relatively smaller differences, in pricing ? And in the Long Run, should you want to up-grade some, in weight.. You have Enough Truck to do it... to a point.

I'm not Bashing a 250/2500, in ANY way. Just [ONE] Opinion folks. :) :) (after 5, F-350, DRW's ?  ;))

Dreamsend said:
Just curious here.  Why would it be okay to tow a 27 foot RV with a 250, but not a 28 footer?  I think I and others would benefit from seeing some data and reasoning behind your thoughts.

And I think it's necessary now days to specify what model year is in mind when we talk about towing.  A 2017 250 is a far different tow animal then any other past or present. Same engines, same axles, same wheelbase (SRW), same shocks, same springs in both 250 and 350. What do you get with a 350 that is better?  What about the 350 is needed based on RV length?  You must have wind effects in mind no?  2017 250 even a gasser 4.3 axle 160" wheelbase has a GVWR of 9900#, conventional tow ability of 15,000# and GCGVW of 22,000#, payload of ~3500# axles at ~ 6200-6400 each front and rear. Frame, suspension, shocks, are really beefy and it's 2" taller now to. --- don't take my word, read the car & truck reviews and see videos of what the gear heads are saying.  A 350 has the same tow weight ratings as the 250 --- gas or diesel.

The 350  only adds between 400 and 1000 # to front and rear axles combined but loses about 200# of payload.  I am comparing same spec-ed vehicles.  If a 250 has all the power and equipment and ability to do the tow job required, why insist on a 350?

If you haven't done so, go look at a new 250.  I think you'd like it ---one heck of a big truck loaded with towing and driving safety technology and snazzy interior.  Linda

Towing capability on a 250 and 350 may be the same but payload (amount of stuff you can legally load the truck with) is about 1500 lbs different depending on model of truck

BIG JOE said:
Just an opinion # 1, based on my own personal experiences from 60 years of Construction Equipment operation . . . (after 5, F-350, DRW's ?  ;))

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.  Just need to point-out, I have "run the numbers" and the F350 -- for a comparable vehicle i.e. engine, cab, bed length, axle ratio, SRW etc, and the data demonstrates that what I said above is true.  That was the whole point of taking the time to post the numbers.  For towing, braking, frame, and features, the F250 and F350 are the exact same in the 2017 model.  You get 1000# more payload -- and that is due to springs, which BTW you can upgrade the F250 springs to those like the F350 via the Camper Pkg.  But truck payload has nothing to do with the original issue which was using length=28 feet only to justify needing a 350 vs. a 250.

I'm not bashing the 350 either, and I won't change your opinion I know.  But to some extent, it's based on vehicles from the long gone past and would maybe apply for older, used vehicles a person might consider, but certainly does not for 2017 models.  Which again, is the point, whereas I know it takes more time and effort, when people are posting about tow capability and 1/2 ton to 1 ton trucks, one just HAS to specify what YEAR they are talking about if they really want to help folks understand why they should consider one truck vs. another.  Or, specify one is talking about a DRW, rather than SWR -- cause the 350 still comes as SRW if wanted.  BTW - I'm talking Fords only, I have no idea how new Chevy or Rams compare in the size vs. capability debate

I still hope that one day soon, you'll get curious Joe and stop into a Ford dealer that has a 2017 F250 XLT or Lariat you can look at and maybe drive.  You might change your own opinion, or maybe budge just a little. :D  Maybe just watch a YouTube video or two to pique your interest.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Linda

aquadave said:
both are too small don't buy something that's under rated before you start. Ford 350-450 and Dodge and Chevy 3500-4500. don't play with toys get a tool to do the job. Never go over 5/8-3/4 the recommended load you plan to use. Just look through the forum and look at post like over heating, bad transmission, bad brakes, the real answer nobody wants to hear is your truck is too small. If you're pulling lawnmowers 1/2 - 3/4 ton is fine if you're pulling 30ft + trailers get a real truck. Personally I like the F450

A 450 for a 9,000 lb trailer? You can't be serious!

Back
Top Bottom