1989 Safari Serengeti Water Heater not Suburban/Attwood and parts not available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMeowers

I am hoping someone can help.  I am trying to repair my water heater, but there is no label as to the brand.  It closely resembles a Suburban but when attempting to remove the anode rod....it is not like the replacement parts at the RV shop nor online parts.  In fact, the anode rod area is contained by a small plug, which allowed water to drain out, but appears to have something purposely obstructing it.  I have taken photos and gone to the store and they look dumbfounded and claim that Suburban purchased a water heater company in the 80's and maybe this water heater is from that company.  Meanwhile the burner tube is completely rusted to crumbling.  I ordered the suburban part, but now realizing it is not a Suburban, am thinking it may not fit. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what type of water heater this is and where I can get parts?  I guess I wouldn't mind replacing the water heater.....but the main valve on my propane tank is not functioning and when turned off, it still allows full porpane to come through.

:( I believe that your water heater drain is plugged with calcium or the like. Take a screwdriver and see if it will push through the debris; if it is that bad it may need to be replaced. Is your propane tank empty? If so; get a replacement valve as Motorhome tanks are permanent mounted. Try PPL.com for Parts. Irover

TheMeowers said:
I am hoping someone can help.  I am trying to repair my water heater, but there is no label as to the brand.  It closely resembles a Suburban but when attempting to remove the anode rod....it is not like the replacement parts at the RV shop nor online parts.  In fact, the anode rod area is contained by a small plug, which allowed water to drain out, but appears to have something purposely obstructing it.  I have taken photos and gone to the store and they look dumbfounded and claim that Suburban purchased a water heater company in the 80's and maybe this water heater is from that company.  Meanwhile the burner tube is completely rusted to crumbling.  I ordered the suburban part, but now realizing it is not a Suburban, am thinking it may not fit. 

Might be time for a new water heater judging by your description of the condition.

Pics might help us identify what you have.

Anyone have any ideas as to what type of water heater this is and where I can get parts?  I guess I wouldn't mind replacing the water heater.....but the main valve on my propane tank is not functioning and when turned off, it still allows full porpane to come through.

It's really rare for propane tank valves to fail, but if yours has, you need to get it fixed.  A propane dealer can do it for you without much fuss since they have the parts in stock and the right tools.  They will remove or burn off the propane in the tank and then just remove the valve and replace it.

There were a couple other brands back then - one was named "American" and I can't remember the other one. Doesn't make much difference cause both have been gone for years and years. You might find a similar unit at a RV Salvage Yard - see the RESOURCES section here for a list of them. More likely, though, you are going to have to replace it if the burner is a goner.

Not all heaters have an anode rod - Atwoods don't use them at all. And some heaters have a petcock (valve) installed in the drain - could that be in yours? The petcock may be screwed into a bushing that in turn screws into the drain hole, partially blocking the outlet.

Your propane valve can be replaced - it is a standard fitting for an ASME-certified LP tank. Or simply cap the line off downstream from the regulator. The regulator has very low flow - just 0.5 psi - so should be easy enough to cap even when the main valve is open.

photos included now

Attachments

• rv water heater.jpg
    rv water heater.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 16
  • rv anode rod.jpg
    rv anode rod.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 15
was able to determine that yes it is an American Appliance Mfg Corp water heater.........out of business. 

Since my propane shut off valve is now defective in the OPEN position, is there anyway to plug the propane lead in to the water heater while I replace the entire unit if I am unable to find parts?

I would go back to the black pipe and put a valve on there .Just make sure there are no pilots lit any where and be prepared to do a quick change with the valve. Is your hot water tank in the corner lazy susan.This is a very good site for info and I look at it about every day but you might want to check Safari Coaches or Safari Friends 

Thank you.....it actually is positioned under the sink in this model.  I haven't ever had much luck with the Safari forums so I now don't utilize them.  ....but may give it a try one more time.

You can put a threaded plug in the outlet of the regulator, which takes a threaded fitting. Use gas-rated (yellow, PTFE type) teflon tape on the threads if it is going to be in place very long (several hours or more).  Many RV regulators use 3/8" outlets, but check yours to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom