1997 Ford F53 class A motorhome rear main seal replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrywalbrecht

I have a rear main oil seal leaking...I have been doing some research trying to find out steps on how to do this job. I have found some information on how to replace the seal, but nothing on the steps to drop the oil pan to get to the seal. I am replacing my exhaust manifolds with the Banks headers. I have that whole exhaust system dropped and won't have to worry about that being in the way. Any help would be appreciated.

I think....and I do mean think....that you have to drop the tranny to get to the seal. See if you can find the Service manual for the engine. 

Sorry about your luck, you will have to drop the transmission and oil pan.  There is no other  way to get at the seal.  You probably can find service manuals for Ford f53 on line. Its not to hard to do just some slugging. I have done it on GMs.

Your rear main seal is a 2 piece seal. No need to drop the tranny. I suspect you'll have to remove the engine fan and and jack up the engine to get the pan off. Then remove the rear main cap and change the seal. Look at the rear main bearing closely. If the bearing has wear it could be the cause of the seal leak. Also check in at 460ford.com and ask about rear main seal crush. There was some seals made with too much crush and they leak.

Richard

Another thing I always do on two piece rear main seals is offset the seam in relaction to the bearing cap.  Usually a 1/4"-3/8" is adequate to avoid the parting seam of the seal in direct relationship to the rear main cap.

Also in the Ford 460 cid engines the oil pump is up front and many times the pump has to be dropped into the pan before pan removal.  I have had to lower the pan just enough to get to the fasteners and then drop the oil pump, remove the pan and oil pump manuervering it around the crossmembers and any other itmes in the way.  Upon reassembly I put the oil pump into the pan manuever into place, install the oil pump and then the oil pan.

Granted I have not done one on an F53 chassis but I have done alot of them in the F-Series trucks, both two and four wheel drive.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom