2021 Quartzite and KOFA Rallies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rained a bit during night. Clear today with some iffy clouds in sky.
Visited big tent. 3 main aisles. Posted one way but  50% of population can't figure out arrows. Arrows were not very prevalent or visible. Fewer vendors than in past. They  had large clear shower curtain like  walls between them so a barrier of sorts. Those shoe gel folks and makeup folks are VERY  PUSHY and wanted to sell you something. Most attendees were masked up.

I bought a Euro whipp which is a kitchen gadget I already own . I like it a bunch and bought this one for a gift after my niece watched me use it this summer to scramble eggs. Mostly I bought it to support a vendor.

No thrifty ice cream but there was a soft serve food truck outside doing a fairly good  business. Terry had  corn on a cobb with the works. Hope he liked it enough to be dinner tonight.
Terry is going to lead an easy scenic Jeep run in the morning leaving at 9:30 am. Bring your lunch.

Pulled in to La Paz Valley RV park yesterday.  One of the people who works for me in the summer has a winter gig here.
So nice that I'm out of the cold weather.
Of course I have to go to Parker today(if I want to continue to eat, that is), so I'll miss your Jeep ride, but be sure and post any others.  I need some time in the desert.

Old_Crow said:
Of course I have to go to Parker today(if I want to continue to eat, that is), so I'll miss your Jeep ride, but be sure and post any others.  I need some time in the desert.

Hey Wally - There are food stores in Q - Coyote Market is my fav, but lots of folks use Roadrunner Market too. Pretty good selection of stuffs.  And there is a super nice Albertson's in Blythe CA which is just an easy 20 mi west on I10.  I know Parker (34 mi) has a Walmart/Safeway, but for difference in gas cost, I find it pretty much pays to shop closer to "home".

Linda

Another  day in Quartzsite's beautiful desert.

Three vehicles ventured out this morning at 9:30 am sharp for an easy run called Plomosa Backside. We were off the trail and back at the big tent for errands at 2:30.  Had a nice lunch area with  beautiful scenery. Parts of the desert today enveloped us in postcard like settings. We bounced around a bit on some rocky areas and scooted through some sand dunes as well. I'm  tired!

We ventured  back into the Big tent today as we forgot something yesterday. Terry got his soft serve ice cream.  Never seen it so quiet "in town". Parking right in front of entrances. No LaMesa this year. Sort of surreal to not see that corner filled with RV's.

I'm watching several gather (actually just 5 people) at the  4 o'clock fire. But the wind is blowing (Hey it is Quartzsite) and it looks very cold out there. So I'll just pretend I'm visiting with them as I give you this update. Bill Dane is in shorts. And he is the closest one to the fire!

He went geo caching today. Teaching Linda about the sport! If I hear of any more exciting reports of the day I'll let you know.

Dreamsend said:
Hey Wally - There are food stores in Q - Coyote Market is my fav, but lots of folks use Roadrunner Market too. Pretty good selection of stuffs.  And there is a super nice Albertson's in Blythe CA which is just an easy 20 mi west on I10.  I know Parker (34 mi) has a Walmart/Safeway, but for difference in gas cost, I find it pretty much pays to shop closer to "home".

Linda

I know, we spent 3 months here year before last.  I just had some things I wanted that had to come from Wally World.  Trip up and back was as expected.  Walmart was as expected, also.  At least I'm done with that for a couple or 3 weeks.
I may try the Albertson's next time.  There's another store over there I want to visit.

Looks to me the the majority of the 4 o'clock fire people  gave  up at 4:47.  Pretty good for as windy and cold as it is. Still 3 hearty souls out there. Not me. I'm fixing Chicken Marsala inside!

Don't you wish you were here?

Missing so many and for so many reasons.  Where are my 10 am walking buddies? Where are my go out to Mexican food buddies? Where are  my let's visit the vendors shoppers.  Where are my I'm gonna take your trash to the dumpster friends?
To give a historical reference for future generations who visit the RVForum spot during Quartzsite, I spent a good bit of time today on the internet searching for an appointment to get a Covid-19 vaccine. This is indeed  a different time.

I don't see a group photo in our plans for this year as we would not recognize friends without their name tags and being all masked up!
All that said Quartzsite is still FUN!

Those of us who showed up ROCK!

Thanks again Betty. I suppose the low turnout was to be anticipated.

On a personal note, given our RV lot in WY, our townhome near family in OH, and our repeated medical visits after time in the desert, I don't anticipate a return to QZ any time soon. But we sure miss the people who make this rally and all RV Forum rallies special.

I was out there until I got texted by Jo that dinner was ready.  I was the first to head inside but as I looked back I saw other chairs folding. I had my hood up! 

WE took a ride to check out the Kofa site, had not been there before, met Kevin Cindy-Jo, as well as Debra-17. 

Got most of my show stuff done, but we wanted to head over to the far side of Main St and check it out, for the hard to find Chenille indian print table runner.  We have 1.  So they have existed. 

Kofa is definitely on our short list for next time over this way. 

Love your cheerful updates Mrs B. Sorry, not sorry, we?re not there. Getting blown around all day in Death Valley today. We may be able to say Hi to you brave Q-vians tomorrow or Sunday. And we?ll be at MM99 for a week if you?re interested in Geocaching. And if the Death Valley campgrounds open up, we?ll be here into March. Actually, we?ll be here whether the campgrounds open up or not.

Stay safe
Wendy and Ralph and Mike

We're really missing all the superb friendship and company that we have enjoyed during our last two visits to the Quartzsite rally. But having seen you tube videos with people paying no attention to either the direct arrows or the need for masks in the big tent for whatever reason they hold, we are glad to give this year a miss. Hopefully, next year will see some return to normality, and we will once again enjoy the sun and friendship you all provide. Stay safe all of you.
TonyL

The Tent.  I found probably 95% of folks wearing masks, and as to the arrows and directions, yes some were upstream, some not, but nothing making me uncomfortable at all.  Plenty of hand sanitizing stations.

The wind.  dang wind lasted into the night  finally died off. 

Pretty sunrise this morning, but a sailor warning color. 

Show specials.  I am looking to buy a Viair compressor, show price was higher than Amazon.  Always prefer to buy local, but I don't need it right now and it wasn't an extra dollar.  What got me is, he told me what he was ONly available at the show, not available on AMazon.  That was not the case.  Unless he added a free bookmark or something. 

PancakeBill said:
Show specials.  I am looking to buy a Viair compressor, show price was higher than Amazon.  Always prefer to buy local, but I don't need it right now and it wasn't an extra dollar.  What got me is, he told me what he was ONly available at the show, not available on AMazon.  That was not the case.  Unless he added a free bookmark or something.

Quartzsite has been pricing themselves out of the market for some time now, IMO.  20 years ago yyou could find bargains there but now the town has imposed so many taxes and fees that it's impossible for someone to offer a price competitive with mail order.  10% combined local and state sales tax, vendor permit fees, show costs (a booth in the tent isn't free), etc. all add to the overhead the seller has to pass through before they show any profit.

Utclmjmpr said:
11% total..>>>Dan

I bought a TPMS today.  Price changed when I whipped out the nice crisp $100 bills instead of the card.  About 11%, I guess.  I'm fine with it, he wrote me a receipt if there's A PROBLEM.

Happily Bill and Renee showed up this afternoon in their new ( to them) rig! All masked up I snagged a personal tour. Wowie  what you can get in 27  feet is impressive. They  plan to spend the night or two to get the feel of  the new rig! He has lots of buttons and dials that Bill told me answered in German!

The group diminished by one as Bill and Pam dashed back  to Yuma before forecasted rains tomorrow.
Pam and Kevin delighted those of us around the 3:00 fire tonight with muffins on a stick or some such name. Given the throngs of donated firewood, they built a fire, provided  foil covered poles, hand sanitizer and biscuits from a tube.  I wrapped biscuit dough  around the end of a foil lined stick to become a thin layer,  and slowly cooked the biscuit until a perfect golden brown. ( others burned theirs!) When golden and cooked I removed the biscuit and filled it with butter and strawberry jam. Yum Yum. Thanks for the fun experience!  Lots of hand sanitizer was provided and the wind kept the smoke blowing away from our small group.
Bill D showed  the geocache  app to Terry and announced  a cache was within 300 feet of our group. No one jumped up to go look for it. Linda  was amazed to  learn there are clues given to looking for  caches. They found  18 of them yesterday. NO wonder Bill Dane wants a Jeep to seek treasures out in 4 wheel territory.
We leave tomorrow between rain showers. Hopefully our weather apps are accurate and we make it 67 miles to home before we get wet.

A very good life!
BB 

I was looking for a Viair compressor, found one, but the price was about $30 more than online, plus the local 11% which would have been another $30+ and it ended up much more than the online pricing.  I love to buy local and support vendors, especially at t he show, but telling ne it was a show special price and was not available online, well, there went the good will.  I'll wait, do not need it today.

We will head out this morning, over to Goodyear,AZ for a day or two and then back to Benson.  They have snow forecast, may wait that out, but there is something unique about desert snow we might not want to miss.

Oh and this yer was the year of Bills!  4 altogether, but not at the same time.  As Bill and Pam left, Huey***. Bill replaced him.

Betty,, If your coach melts when wet your in trouble,, it's been raining here as well..>>>Dan in Yuma until tomorrow, then Quartzsite.. 8)

Back
Top Bottom