2024 Ideas/Rallies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

New Years at Catalina SP, Tucson? anyone heading there, Easy distance for us now that we have base in Benson, AZ.
Quartzsite, after last years issue with construction and such, will we give it another try? Original site still be navigable? How was the alternate site this past year?
We have missed a bit, would be nice to get back together...

Last summer the temps were reasonable at home, and we were finishing our redo on the house, so we stayed put. This year we escaped heat to Ruidoso, and now in Silver City. Nice altitude for cooler temps. Maybe an escape the temps for those of us in the hot area rally next year?

The old Quartzsite location is out. The section south of there is a possibility.

Several years ago we thought about re-locating the Quartzsite rally to the Plomosa Rd. 14 day free area north of town. Plomosa Rd is about the same distance to the north as our traditional site is to the south of town. That's where most groups hold their rallies and with our original site gone we should look into this again.

The drawbacks of a 14 day free area are no trash dumpsters or water and dump stations, but the county transfer station is on the way into town and you can drop your trash there for free. Also on the way into town are a couple of private multi-lane water and dump stations. Going there a couple of times during your stay costs about the same as buying a two week LTVA pass.

New Years at Catalina SP, Tucson? anyone heading there, Easy distance for us now that we have base in Benson, AZ.
Quartzsite, after last years issue with construction and such, will we give it another try? Original site still be navigable? How was the alternate site this past year?
We have missed a bit, would be nice to get back together...
How about boondocking at the Coconino National Forest just north of Flagstaff? Room for a few thousand RVs or so there. 1.1 mile up a decent but unpaved road at: 35.322683, -111.521804 (in pure decimal degrees).

I think that is the correct place, just south of Sunset on Forest Road 776. I will have to check my GPS in Auburn tomorrow to be 100% certain. I will be in Auburn tomorrow.

I stayed there for a week around five years ago, but I doubt it changed any since then. But this place could be better in the summer. In the winter, the weather there can be just about anything.

Edit: Disregard if it has to be in Jan, overnight low average is like 18° F. there.

How about that place near Why, AZ just north of Organ Pipe? I never stayed there but I will take a look this winter.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Following Lorries Way video shows Quartzsite construction of new water and dump stations:

Appears the water and dump are separate with different exits off main road. I think if Lorrie had gone left after the dump station she would have passed the Forums historical site.

Jennifer

What is now happening there at Quartzsite?

-Don- Reno, NV
We drove there about a month ago. They have added 4 new dump stations, water fill spots, and sewage lagoons very close to where we used to stay. A new well and storage tank I just the other side of Old Yuma Rd. The old site is really not acdeptable anymore. My personal recommendation is to go close to the Roadrunner area but stay in the LTVA. You can drive down the main “road”, turn left, and pull into a huge area. We were planning on spending a 4-6 weeks in Q this winter, so I am not too interested in Plamosa Rd. Besides it is soooooooo crowded there during the show!

Plomosa Road is PACKED during the RV show - Escapees Boomers, Solos, Elks, and more. It would be difficult to find a spot not already stacked out by another group.

Following. DH and I are still thinking about plans for next January. Wendy ... wondering about your reference to Elks. Do they gather at QZ?

Following. DH and I are still thinking about plans for next January. Wendy ... wondering about your reference to Elks. Do they gather at QZ?
There there are several Elks groups that gather at Q, at least one at Plomasa and one at Scadden. There’s an Elks FMCA group and I think a SKP group, among others. There’s pretty much every kind of group you can think of at Q.

I just looked and only 2 sites left for NY Eve left. and only 1 night.
Bill, the implementation of the reservation system was the beginning of the end of the Catalina rallies. Most folks just are prepared to commit to a and many many months out.

I remember Terry telling me they reserve on their way out from the current event. I was not prepared to know, and figured July ought to still have someting, but only 2 single nights in that time frame. Being close, we were hoping to be able to attend, we had a great time the 2 times we attended.

Will there be anyone from the forum there this year?

Dan and I have reservations. We are probability the only ones.

If you think but are unsure you want to visit Catalina State Park (Tuscon, AZ) during busy season you need to make a reservation the year before. The system would not allow following year reservation until day arriving (or leaving?) in current yr. date passed but that restriction may have changed. To cancel a reservation cost ~$8.00 so cheap enough plus the park will likely get locals to fill open spot.

Jennifer

Disregard my post regarding QZ. DH and I will probably be heading to FL depending on my Brother's health. We would be interested in any rallies or meet ups in FL next January, February, or possibly March.

Last edited:
We will be volunteering at Wekiwa Springs State Park in Apopka, Fl December through March.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom