27N auxiliary propane valve.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roger, as Kevin said, it only takes a couple of wrenches and a couple of minutes to install. However, you will probably need to build and install a couple of brackets to hold the entire assembly in the new position. Don't bid 30 minutes for an install. If you look at a few you'll get the idea.

Actually, I think I will rely on a timed pressure drop test to confirm whether or not there is a leak in a system. (smile)

I hope you are using a purchased leak testing solution, as it is recommended not to use any soap solution that has ammonia in it on the brass fittings.

RodgerS said:
Actually, I think I will rely on a timed pressure drop test to confirm whether or not there is a leak in a system. (smile)

I hope you are using a purchased leak testing solution, as it is recommended not to use any soap solution that has ammonia in it on the brass fittings.

Soap and water will safely identify and give an indication of the size of the leak. Homemade propane leak detector solution can be placed in a spray bottle or other container. Liquid dish washing soap will produce the most bubbles when mixed with water and is what's most commonly used. If a spray bottle is used, adjust the tip of the sprayer so that a sharp stream is produced by squeezing the bottle's trigger. Don't use a broad misting as this won't adequately cover the connection or seal that's being checked for leaks. The sharp stream will provide enough of the soapy mixture to produce bubbles if there is in fact a leak as well as reaching into any recessed connections that are not easily reached. Using a sponge or dish rag to dispense the solution will adequately indicate any propane leaks as well.

As to liquid dish soap,
"avoid using dish soap that contains ammonia products."
Per Bunzer's RV maintenance book.

Please ignore my advice.

It turns out the auxiliary valve is already pressure regulated.  I determined this by connecting my barbeque to the aux. valve, turn the burners on high and with an oven thermometer, timing the heating for 7 minutes.  I let the barbeque cool completely (5 hours) and repeated the process using the small propane bottle.  With the small bottle, the temperature at 7 minutes was almost double that of the auxiliary connection.  Now I have a few choices, 1- modify my barbeque by bypassing the pressure regulator making it useable only at the RV, 2- Add a second auxiliary line to the RV, bypassing the RV regulator or 3- Continue to use the small propane bottles.

I have decided on "3" as I have a one gallon propane bottle with an adapter hose.  I also have propane at my home with a wet line allowing me to refill propane bottles.

Thanks all for imput and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom