5th Wheel hitch when not needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milton R Scherotter

When not using the 5th wheel the truck still has the hitch in it.  The hitch is too heavy to take out/put in by one person.  I've seen some people suggest just leaving it attached to the kingpin. That seems reasonable.  Just wondering what other ideas might be out there.

For me, I think it would be a pain when you want to install it again. If you're off on the alignment of the truck to the hitch by 1/2", you're going to have issues I think especially if you're by yourself. Maybe not. What I do is I hoist it up into the rafters in my garage with a come-a-long. The car easily parks right under it. Plus, I would probably walk into it everytime I walked around the trailer if it was suspended from the king pin.

I leave mine in my truck.  I've wished for the extra room a few times, but managed to work around it.  I also tried leaving it attached to the kingpin once.  It was a major pain to get it aligned again properly.  Almost as much as taking it out of the truck.  Maybe not the best answer, but that's what I do.

When I was considering a traditional 5th wheel hitch I thought I would make a tailgate-height cart with wheels. Slide the hitch over and wheel it into a corner of the garage.

I leave mine in the truck and close the bed cover.

I thought about leaving mine attached to the kingpin, but decided that it might not be good for the 5er's frame. The structure of the frame is designed to withstand a compressive load. Hanging the hitch, would load the frame in tension. I have no idea if if could do some damage, or not.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Great Horned Owl said:
Hanging the hitch, would load the frame in tension. I have no idea if if could do some damage, or not.

Good thinking.  But I would think that the chucking & jumping that an attached hitch does to the king pin when the 5er is being pulled down the road (specially a badly maintained road) would exert force also in the same direction (and, even if momentarily, at much higher Gs)... So a 5ers should have some strength to resist such forces too, no?

Cheers,
--
  Vall

When I needed the extra room I took the hitch apart.  It was a Husky brand and pulling a single (large) pin let it break into two heavy but manageable pieces.

I keep mine in the truck.  An empty 3500 can use some weight in the back.  When needed,I can remove it in two separate pieces.

Great Horned Owl said:
I thought about leaving mine attached to the kingpin, but decided that it might not be good for the 5er's frame. The structure of the frame is designed to withstand a compressive load. Hanging the hitch, would load the frame in tension. I have no idea if if could do some damage, or not.

Joel
I'm with you on this.

VallAndMo said:
But I would think that the chucking & jumping that an attached hitch does to the king pin when the 5er is being pulled down the road (specially a badly maintained road) would exert force also in the same direction (and, even if momentarily, at much higher Gs)... So a 5ers should have some strength to resist such forces too, no?

I totally agree with you Vall. I weight 200# and if I felt that I could not just hang off the end of the pin box using my hands till the cows come home, then there's no way I would hook on to that RV. Just guessing, but I would think I could support at least 1000# if not a lot more off the end of mine with no issues.

The hitch is too heavy to take out/put in by one person.

When we towed a 5W (back in the late 90's), the hitch came out in two parts, i.e. the "head' detached from the base with the simple removal of two pins.  Each piece was under 75#, so not difficult to remove. I thought this was pretty much standard design these days, but maybe I'm mistaken?

We are getting ready to purchase a 5th wheel and why we are going with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. It weighs about 35 pounds, so if we need to make space in the bed, it will be easy to do.  More specific to your question, I would be reluctant to leave it attached to the kingpin, because I would be concerned with the weight hanging un supported and when it is time to re-install, might be a pain to do so,

Gizmo said:
We are getting ready to purchase a 5th wheel and why we are going with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. It weighs about 35 pounds, so if we need to make space in the bed, it will be easy to do.  More specific to your question, I would be reluctant to leave it attached to the kingpin, because I would be concerned with the weight hanging un supported and when it is time to re-install, might be a pain to do so,

That's what we did.  Over 8000 miles last year pulling 13k and no issues at all.  Love how easy it is to hook and unhook too.  Also can remove it or reinstall it in under 2 minutes.

Hello Elkhounds,

Elkhounds said:
That's what we did.  Over 8000 miles last year pulling 13k and no issues at all.  Love how easy it is to hook and unhook too.  Also can remove it or reinstall it in under 2 minutes.

Thanks for the report. That is exactly what we're planning to install on our future truck, having the bed readily available is going to be great, and the lack of chucking on and noise from the hitch is going to be very nice too.

PS: can you tell us whether your F-350 is a DRW or SWR? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
Hello Elkhounds,

Thanks for the report. That is exactly what we're planning to install on our future truck, having the bed readily available is going to be great, and the lack of chucking on and noise from the hitch is going to be very nice too.

PS: can you tell us whether your F-350 is a DRW or SWR? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.
It is a SRW.  Dually won't fit in the garage.  I'll have to change my Sig.

I hang it off the pin. To reinstall it I back the truck under, lower the trailer so the hitch rests on the bed, unhook and slide it into place manually. It's a one man job. IMHO, if the pin won't take the weight it is too fragile for normal towing.

Hello Elkhounds,

Elkhounds said:
It is a SRW.  Dually won't fit in the garage.  I'll have to change my Sig.

Thanks for the clarification. We're planning on an SRW too (no garage, but don't want the hassle of having to go to truck stops to have it washed, and to take care of two more tires), glad to hear you can pull your 13K 5er with it (we're also planning on a 5er around that weight).

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

For those that think hanging the hitch from the pin will overstress the trailer frame; the frame sees a lot more stress, in all directions, during towing than hanging 200 lbs from it will ever exert.

Also, do you have the same reservations when you load up the closet or climb into bed?  The front part of a fifth wheel uses the same frame that you think won't hold a 200 lb hitch.

Back
Top Bottom