A Heads Up: Be Careful What you Buy from Amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've run into a few things like that over the years from Amazon.  Mostly the experiences have been good though.  Nothing RV related comes to mind.

Many things have been repackaged...and that has irritated me.  Like the time I ordered a box of EAR foam ear plugs.  I wanted a box for my garage, like the ones they have at places I've worked....  I got the ear plugs, obviously new...but they were loose in one of those extra large bubble wrap envelopes

Gizmo said:
I do not buy from any of the Amazon vendors.

You may not be aware that when you buy from an Amazon vendor you are covered by what Amazon calls its "A to Z warranty".  If anything goes wrong with the transaction that you can't work out with the vendor Amazon steps in and makes you whole on the transaction.  It can take a few days, but the one time I needed to use it Amazon didn't hesitate to make good on the commitment.

One thing I like about the process of dealing with Amazon vendors is that all emails between you and the vendor go through Amazon so your email privacy is preserved and a permanent record of the "conversation" is kept in Amazon's files.  Therefore, if you do have a problem you can't resolve directly Amazon already has all the documentation of what has been discussed and what the issues are.

I've bought a lot of parts and items on Amazon and have never had one problem. Every thing has fit perfectly and I have been pleased with all purchases.

I have had a lot of problems with incorrect specs from AMAZON,
- I order 6 feet and they ship me 4 feet
- I order blue and they ship me red
- etc.

raybbj said:
I have had a lot of problems with incorrect specs from AMAZON,
- I order 6 feet and they ship me 4 feet
- I order blue and they ship me red
- etc.

I order thousands of dollars of merchandise from Amazon each year.  I've only had problems with a couple of Amazon orders out of many dozens.  In the few cases where they have made a mistake or an order hasn't arrived by the guaranteed date, Amazon has always stepped up to resolve the problem.  It's easy to use a couple of isolated examples to besmirch the reputation of a good company.  No company is perfect, but, in my experience, Amazon customer service tries hard to resolve problems when they occur.

darsben said:
From Amazon or a seller on Amazon

Amazon - after talking to customer service, what happens is they have the wrong SKU in the wrong bin at the warehouse. The reason I found this out is because when they said they would send me the correct part, they again shipped me the incorrect part a second time.

raybbj said:
Amazon - after talking to customer service, what happens is they have the wrong SKU in the wrong bin at the warehouse. The reason I found this out is because when they said they would send me the correct part, they again shipped me the incorrect part a second time.

I agree with you. My experience is the exception, not the norm.

I have been a huge Amazon shopper for several years, and probably still will be. But interestingly I have made my last two electronic purchases from WalMart instead of Amazon. Their price was the same or better than Amazon, and with ship to store pick up, their shipping was faster. 

Amazon kinda ticked me off recently on a light bar I bought for my Jeep. I ordered it Prime on a Thursday early with Prime, and used to be 2 day shipping would have got it there on a Saturday.  When I was finishing the order and got to the shipping part, my Prime shipping wasn't going to arrive until Tuesday.  ?????  Since I needed it delivered before Tuesday as I was leaving that campground  Tuesday morning, I had to pay an additional $10 to get it there on the Saturday that it should have been delivered in the first place. 

It was an in stock item shipped from Amazon, so no  3rd parties involved either. That is what sent me searching when I needed a new Tablet for Diane. And Walmart did it faster, and cheaper. 

SargeW said:
I have been a huge Amazon shopper for several years, and probably still will be. But interestingly I have made my last two electronic purchases from WalMart instead of Amazon. Their price was the same or better than Amazon, and with ship to store pick up, their shipping was faster. 

Amazon kinda ticked me off recently on a light bar I bought for my Jeep. I ordered it Prime on a Thursday early with Prime, and used to be 2 day shipping would have got it there on a Saturday.  When I was finishing the order and got to the shipping part, my Prime shipping wasn't going to arrive until Tuesday.  ?????  Since I needed it delivered before Tuesday as I was leaving that campground  Tuesday morning, I had to pay an additional $10 to get it there on the Saturday that it should have been delivered in the first place. 

It was an in stock item shipped from Amazon, so no  3rd parties involved either. That is what sent me searching when I needed a new Tablet for Diane. And Walmart did it faster, and cheaper.

I've experienced this a few times, in the last year.  Gives me the inclination to shop elsewhere.  Walmart has been one of those, along with EBAY.

What does Amazon have to do with anything? I thought you should always be careful no matter what you buy and no matter whom you buy it from. Why should you only be careful when buying from Amazon? I have been buying from Amazon for years and when there is a problem Amazon always solves the problem. Can't find a better seller anywhere.

I ordered a new anode rod for the water heater in our toy hauler back in the spring from Amazon and it hadn't been installed till while ago. after reading the post I hurried out and pulled out the old one and it was the same pipe thread as the new one. it went in without a hitch.
the part # on the one from Amazon is X001L16415

I?ve experienced the same thing. I think it means that WHEN Amazon ships the product it will be two day shipping, but I don?t think they guarantee it will ship two days from the order date. At least that?s what I?ve come to expect.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I?ve experienced the same thing. I think it means that WHEN Amazon ships the product it will be two day shipping, but I don?t think they guarantee it will ship two days from the order date. At least that?s what I?ve come to expect.

My experience has been that Prime shipping was better when most packages went by UPS.  Usually I would order on one day and the package would ship the next day via Overnight Saver.  That worked, but was, no doubt expensive. 

These days, since Amazon has more and more warehouses closer to people's homes, lot of packages, even Prime ones, are shipping via USPS Priority Mail.  That means that the package will take two full days, at least, from the time USPS receives it.  And the package tracking is not as up to date or accurate.  I've had a number of USPS packages that didn't show Out For Delivery on the days they were delivered.

SargeW said:

This also happened on an order my wife placed on a product indicated as Prime 2-day shipping, and like you the item was through Amazon and no third parties involved.  The item took 4-days to reach us.  Luckily for us while it would have been nice to have received it in their advertised 2-day's, it was not urgent as in your case. 

Yeah, since we are back full time, getting accurate delivery times is critical. And usually they are pretty good. But there has been a few times that by the time I got to the 3rd section of the order page (shipping and delivery) the delivery time was way outside of the previous stated time. Then I have to cancel, or find some other source like Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom