A special message of thanks for our President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom said:
Don't assume that others here aren't equally or more passionate; They just show their passion in other ways, and prefer not to get involved in a debate that might spiral downwards.

That was my assumption as well.  However passionate, the community here isn't that interested in getting into the conversation, whatever their feelings on it, so as my grandpa used to tell me; I should let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm passionate about a lot of things, many of which we discuss here, many of which we do not. Sometimes I find myself biting my tongue to keep from mouthing off on some subjects....you don't even want to get me started on the environment.

Wendy

As I left Costco yesterday with my new DSLR in hand, I considered turning left out the driveway and heading to the SSA office just down the street. Thought I might stand in front of the photos of our Pres and VP, and say thanks for my SS check which paid for my new camera. Heck, I could have had the guard take a photo of me doing that, and posted it here. The caption might have read "Possibly illegal immigrant buys camera at Costco using money paid by SSA".

Christian - Despite the fact that I have a hard time understanding what you are saying much of the time (my fault, not yours), and that I disagree with you much of the time, I deeply respect your passion for the topic and your knowledge.  We may have some disagreements, but don't let that stop you from expressing how you feel.  As you've seen, those who disagree aren't afraid to express themselves and you shouldn't be afraid either.

Denny

Tom:

I assume you realize how much heartburn this discussion is causing out here.

Any political system that tries to continually accommodate the short term wants of its voters in search of those votes will eventually have a significant majority of its citizens dependent upon the largess of the system instead of their own capabilities.

I shudder to think how far down that slippery slope we have come.

[quote author=utahclaimjumper]Tom, your so politicaly correct with the "illegal immagrant" thing ...[/quote]

LOL, I learned that from you, I think  ???

Jeff said:
Any political system that tries to continually accommodate the short term wants of its voters in search of those votes will eventually have a significant majority of its citizens dependent upon the largess of the system instead of their own capabilities.

"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good."
--H. L. Mencken

-Don Quoteman, SSF, CA
                             ​

[quote author=Jeff]Any political system that tries to continually accommodate the short term wants of its voters in search of those votes will eventually have a significant majority of its citizens dependent upon the largess of the system instead of their own capabilities.[/quote]

Jeff,

That's one (major) reason I left the UK. You have no idea how frustrated I used to be seeing all these folks scrounge off the welfare system. My understanding is that today it's far worse. We have friends and even family members who prefer to live off the state than go to work and pay taxes. The system encourages it.

One example (of many I could could quote) was the steel plant where I worked in the 60's; To defeat the "2 weeks waiting period" (to claim government funded sick benefits and have them be retroactive), one production shop had a rota system for the guys to take sick leave. Several guys would take 2 weeks sick leave at a time, in rotation. God help the poor guy who was genuinely sick and screwed up someone else's turn at bleeding the system. Lots more (real) stories where that came from.

When I lived there I was out of work exactly two weeks in 17 working years, and that was thanks to a major union going on strike and the company "locking out" the remainder of the 17,500 workers. My work buddy and I, rather than claim unemployment, drove around a number of companies, including the Borg Warner transmission plant in another town, and even Securicor (the equivalent of Brinks Security armored car service), looking for work. Meanwhile, the "professional system milkers" knew how to work the system and didn't bat an eyelid at milking it.

Why would my comments be causing heartburn?

[quote author=Tom]Why would my comments be causing heartburn?[/quote]

If your comments are causing "heartburn," maybe it's because they are striking pretty close to home or pushing a button that is itching to be pushed....?
[edit]Fixed quote.[/edit]

Maybe taoshum, but I wouldn't attempt to read other folks' minds.

One suggestion, change your profile options so you return to the topic after posting; You'd see that some of your quotes are getting messed up. I changed the one in your last message.I also made my best guess at fixing the quotes in another of your messages (lemme know if I guessed wrong).

It often takes folks a while to figure all this stuff out. Meanwhile, please don't be afraid to use our Member practice board to get the hang of things. Feel free to reply to any of the messages/topics there or start your own.

BTW I even got it wrong typing this reply, but was able to see my error because my profile is set to return me to the topic in which I posted.

stand in front of the photos of our Pres and VP,

(                                                                                  )

Please feel free to fill in the blank response ;)

sheltie said:
Christian - Despite the fact that I have a hard time understanding what you are saying much of the time (my fault, not yours), and that I disagree with you much of the time, I deeply respect your passion for the topic and your knowledge.  We may have some disagreements, but don't let that stop you from expressing how you feel.  As you've seen, those who disagree aren't afraid to express themselves and you shouldn't be afraid either.

Denny

I appreciate that.  We need more rational (fact based) debate among citizens of this nation and I enjoy the discussion, particularly with folks whose ideas differ from my own.  I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong once I see evidence countering a position I might have.  Rational discourse is what this nation was founded on and we need a lot more of it if we are going to solve the problems we have.

[quote author=Mc2guy]Rational discourse is what this national was founded on ... [/quote]

I assume that was "nation", but we knew what you meant  ;D

[quote author=Jeff]...just the whole topic that you got going.[/quote]

Sorry Jeff. All I did was post a message explaining that I drew social security, and was grateful to this wonderful nation in which we live.

Tom said:
Maybe taoshum, but I wouldn't attempt to read other folks' minds.

One suggestion, change your profile options so you return to the topic after posting; You'd see that some of your quotes are getting messed up. I changed the one in your last message.I also made my best guess at fixing the quotes in another of your messages (lemme know if I guessed wrong).

It often takes folks a while to figure all this stuff out. Meanwhile, please don't be afraid to use our Member practice board to get the hang of things. Feel free to reply to any of the messages/topics there or start your own.

BTW I even got it wrong typing this reply, but was able to see my error because my profile is set to return me to the topic in which I posted.

So, even if I change the color, if it is "inside" of the "[/quote]" notation it gets screwed up?  I guess there is no way to respond "in context" like in email... which is what I was doing.  Your changes made it more clear but with the green font I thought it would be clear, probably not.  I usually use the preview but  didn't in this case.  Thanks for pointing this out to me.

[quote author=taoshum]So, even if I change the color, if it is "inside" of the "" notation it gets screwed up?

This is how the quotes/replies came out in the two messages I referred to.[/quote]

As you see, the green is tough to read against the background color of the quote, and both the quote and the reply have a smaller font. Here's how the above looks if I put the reply outside the quote:

[quote author=taoshum]So, even if I change the color, if it is "inside" of the "" notation it gets screwed up?[/quote]

This is how the quotes/replies came out in the two messages I referred to.

Here's how it looks if I don't use the quotes:

So, even if I change the color, if it is "inside" of the "" notation it gets screwed up?

This is how the quotes/replies came out in the two messages I referred to.

I guess there is no way to respond "in context" like in email.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in context" but, as you see, you can separately quote sections of a message and reply separately (in context?) to each one, with or without color. Either highlight a section of text and click the 'Quote' icon, or just type a pair of (quote)(/quote) tags around the text you wish to quote. (The tags should be enclosed in square brackets, not parentheses as I used for this example.)

A few minutes on the Member practice board should clear it all up. Please be sure to let us know if we can answer any questions.

Tom said:
As I left Costco yesterday with my new DSLR in hand, I considered turning left out the driveway and heading to the SSA office just down the street. Thought I might stand in front of the photos of our Pres and VP, and say thanks for my SS check which paid for my new camera. Heck, I could have had the guard take a photo of me doing that, and posted it here. The caption might have read "Possibly illegal immigrant buys camera at Costco using money paid by SSA".

Ah Tom, you are such a rogue!  A moderator with a great sense of humor is truly a real treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom