Absolute Beginner Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdjohannsen

Hello all!
My wife and I just started talking (like within the past few days) about wanting to get an RV and start doing some camping. We love travel, but we're both absolute beginners when it comes to owning an RV. My family had a trailer growing up, but that was 20 years ago now.

What we know: We really want a Class C, preferably shorter than 28 feet (just for ease of driving, parking, etc, and also for price). After looking at some Thors and getting very interested in their design, we read on a few websites that their build quality is not that high and they often don't last too long before problems start to pop up. It was then that we realized we really need to know what we're doing before we rush out and buy something just because it looks nice. We also realized that we'd have to be willing to spend a bit more to get something high quality that will last.

I guess my questions would be, what advice could you offer to absolute beginners? What are things or "gotchas" that popped up when you first owned an RV that you wished you had known about before you purchased? What are some of the best Class C models that you can recommend that are not only comfortable but also built for durability, as this will be a very important feature to us. Thank you for your help, and I look forward to getting to know the community on here!

A couple of things: read a lot of this site, getting to understand many problems that occur, along with people's opinions, hints on various procedures and more. But I think I'd start with the Library (text "button" near the top of the page), where you'll find articles about buying an RV, driving tips, maintenance articles, things newcomers need to know, and more, then scan through the Resources button (hover over click here for menu) too. And the Glossary will define many terms for you, as RVers use them.

Also, don't lock in to a class C, as you may (if you'll try it) find that, after a short time, driving a class A is just as easy, and it gives more living space and more storage space for a given length.

But in any case, welcome to the forum. I expect there'll be a lot more folks piping up here soon.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  As you and your wife begin this journey of finding the "perfect" RV you'll encounter numerous questions usually of the A vs. B vs. C type and things can seem pretty overwhelming at times.  Don't let that get to you!  You'll probably agonize over some of the decisions and that is normal.  Do come to the RV Forum with your questions as they arise.  As you ask questions and read our answers, you'll find that we ALL were where you are at some point.  Keep in mind that no question is stupid or dumb if you don't know the answer so ask whatever you need to ask.

I can't comment on the Thor motorhomes, but we've owned two Lazy Daze Class C motorhomes, a 22-footer and a 30-footer, before we upgraded to diesel pushers.  Lazy Daze is in southern California and it's a family-owned business that builds quality Class C motorhomes.  If you want to buy one used there aren't usually many on the market because people keep them so long!  But if you want to buy new, they are factory-only sales so you would have to go to Montclair, California.  By the way, we drove around the USA in both these motorhomes as well as to Alaska and Newfoundland.  They were quite comfortable for two people during long trips of several months.

As you learn about the various manufacturers I recommend trying to visit as many factories as possible.  That way you can see how these homes on wheels are built and can make your own judgment about their quality.

Have fun during this process!

ArdraF

What we know: We really want a Class C, preferably shorter than 28 feet (just for ease of driving, parking, etc, and also for price).

LOL. 28 ft is 28 ft whether it's a Class A or B or C.  And the price for a given size and amenity level is the same as well.  I'll grant that there is a learning curve to get used to driving an A vs a C, but that's over after a trip or two. Most people actually prefer driving the A once they get over that learning hump - it has better view from the driver seat and often better handling too. Take a look at something like the Winnebago Vista 26HE before you lock in on a Class C.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-a-gas/2017/vista/floorplans

Most beginners buy too small for their comfort and get too hung up on vehicle concerns. Forget car-buying mentality and focus on living space & usability, which basically translates to floor plan & size. You are buying a house that happens to have wheels, so focus on house issues. Things like size of bedroom and bath, kitchen cabinet and countertop space, where to put the dirty laundry, etc.

You will want to carry a lot of stuff with you for outdoor recreation. Lawn chairs, BBQ grill, maybe a folding table, bikes, etc. Plus hoses for water & sewage, extension cords, etc.  Storage space for bulky stuff is a very important aspect.

Everyone was an "absolute beginner" at some point.  You can learn a lot here.  Did you check out the library section of the site?

Yes,think about what you want to take along.  Outdoor recreation(or sitting by a campfire).  What kitchen gadgets and appliances?  It all takes up space and weight.  Don't forget storage space for the necessary accessories to the rv- hoses ,chocks,some basic tools.

Picture being in the space in the rainy weather.  Are you going to be climbing over each other just to go to the bathroom or cook a meal? 

Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Most beginners buy too small for their comfort and get too hung up on vehicle concerns.

:)) :))
I see a common pattern of posts from folks just starting their RV research that want small. (I was in this camp beginning my journey )
There's certainly nothing wrong with a B or a C, or a small A if you've done your research and planning and have determined that's what fit's your travel needs.
But there seems to be a common hump to hurdle at the onset of ones RV research, that seems to suggest that larger class A's are intimidating to drive, impossible to maneuver and park, and are just overall impractical. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Pugapooh said:
Everyone was an "absolute beginner" at some point.  You can learn a lot here.  Did you check out the library section of the site?

Yes,think about what you want to take along.  Outdoor recreation(or sitting by a campfire).  What kitchen gadgets and appliances?  It all takes up space and weight.  Don't forget storage space for the necessary accessories to the rv- hoses ,chocks,some basic tools.

Picture being in the space in the rainy weather.  Are you going to be climbing over each other just to go to the bathroom or cook a meal? 

This is great advice. We fulltimed in a 36' 5th wheel for 5 years. It got to the point where my wife told me if I buy something I have to get rid of something. As for floor plan: we now have a 17' Winnie Drop. If I have to go to the BR in the night I have crawl over the wife to do it. Leads to some very interesting times in the middle of the night. If we have the grandkids with us it can get a bit crowded. It's all fun though. Most of our time I spent outdoors.
Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
A little bit more background: We're definitely not planning on full-timing any time soon. Just weekend or 1-2 week long camping trips from time to time. I have done some research, and a lot of the campgrounds we plan to frequent do not accept RVs longer than 30 feet anyway (Red Rock Canyon in CA, Joshua Tree, Zion, etc...) So while extra space would be nice, we don't really want to rule out a lot of the main campgrounds we want to visit. We also don't plan on spending too much time indoors. When we go on trips now and stay at hotels, we usually are out hiking most of the day, and only use the room for sleeping.

However, we definitely won't lock into our decision before we consider all the factors, read more here, and go take a look at a bunch of units. Thanks again for the help so far!

One other thing to consider whether you are looking at an A,B or C; is how you will be getting around once you are set up in your camp site. If your plans are to hike or bike in the general area you should be fine. If you will be going any distance from the campground, you'll likely find yourself needing a vehicle of some sort. Even if it's just a run to Walmart or the grocery, it's a pain to have to break camp just for a couple of errands. So...even if you don't think you'll be needing a Toad now, it might be wise to figure towing ability in to your search. Or, you could look at small travel trailers that can be pulled with a half-ton pickup.  Good luck with your search. You've come to the right place for answers and information!

"If you will be going any distance from the campground, you'll likely find yourself needing a vehicle of some sort. Even if it's just a run to Walmart or the grocery, it's a pain to have to break camp just for a couple of errands."

Last weekend we were camping at a state park and I think I went to town three time for "supplies". Once for wine, once for sugar & ice and once because we didn't get cell coverage at the park.

If you really want a humorous story on buying your first RV, try to find a copy of the movie "The Long, Long Trailer", starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. They are playing 2 newlyweds, not their Lucy and Ricky characters. It covers their adventures of buying and travelling with a New Moon (a real company) TT. Starts with the brochures and the RV show and goes downhill from there. But, behind every misadventure, there is a thread of truth.

2kGeorgieBoy said:
If you really want a humorous story on buying your first RV, try to find a copy of the movie "The Long, Long Trailer", starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. They are playing 2 newlyweds, not their Lucy and Ricky characters. It covers their adventures of buying and travelling with a New Moon (a real company) TT. Starts with the brochures and the RV show and goes downhill from there. But, behind every misadventure, there is a thread of truth.
It's a funny movie, but the '53 Mercury seemed a bit anemic.

The Merc was a 1953 Monterey with a 125 hp flathead. It was replaced with a similar looking 1953 Lincoln Capri for the mountain towing. (I cheated, I looked it up on the internet).

What????  I have a 32' Class C and have camped in both Joshua Tree National Park and ZIon, and fit in just fine.  And I did not sneak into a site that was advertised for a shorter vehicle. Admittedly, Joshua Tree is a little tight for anything around 30', but I got in fine! 

I just checked Zion Watchman Campground and almost all sites are rated for 40-50' vehicles! In fact, I have a reservation in A3 in June and it says the max RV size is 40' and I know from being in A7 and A9 in the past, that the sites are very large and you could easily back farther in and park a car in front, which many people do.  I have also camped in Yosemite, Yellowstone (several campground), Grand Canyon (trailer village, not Mather), Glacier, and inside a ton of other national parks, and could always make a legal reservation for my 32' motorhome.

Also, I had never driven anything bigger than a minivan, so I started out looking for smaller motorhome.  I quickly moved from 24-25' to 28' and then ended up with 32' because I wanted a bed I could walk around and more living space for full-timing.  You also get more storage space with a bigger vehicle.  My son dropped me off at the dealer and was terrified to watch me drive it 75 miles back to his house!!  Now, I am a real pro, even at 73 years old.  And I do not tow another vehicle, so I take my home when I go to the grocery store. 

HOWEVER, I travel solo, but if I were married, I would definitely get something just a couple of feet longer.  I might also look at As because of the increased cargo weight capacity.

If you are only weekending with a few weeks here and there, you might want to get a smaller RV for now, and then later when you want to full-time get something else.  By that point, you will know more what is important to you and get a "final" vehicle.

And by the way, I takes me less than 5 minutes to break camp and run to the store.  (Turn on engine, push two buttons to put in slides, unplug electric, and unhook water hose.)  I don't spread a lot of stuff out, but I do leave chairs, hose, and whatever around my campsite and have never had anything stolen.  I do have a small "Campsite Occupied" sign I put up, which prevents people thinking I have abandoned the site and my possessions. 

Note that motorhomes are MUCH easier to unhook and hook back up than trailers or 5th wheels.

I do have an electric bike for exploring the campground and very nearby stuff.

JudyJB said:
What????  I have a 32' Class C and have camped in both Joshua Tree National Park and ZIon, and fit in just fine.  And I did not sneak into a site that was advertised for a shorter vehicle. Admittedly, Joshua Tree is a little tight for anything around 30', but I got in fine! 

Good to know! Not sure where I got my information, but apparently I was wrong. Apparently I have even more to learn than I thought!

I have heard a lot of people make that statement, but I think it was only true maybe 30 years ago.  State and federal agencies are not only building new campground bigger, but they are adding electric to many of them.  It is only the very old state and federal campgrounds that are limited in size--maybe 10%? 

Go into Recreation.gov and pick a few places you might want to travel to.  Then check out the column that describes the sites.  Do the same for state parks on Reserve America. 

And, unfortunately, I don't think any Class Cs, and only a few As, are really built for durability.  It is because they are built one at a time and they do not use modern manufacturing processes that produce quality.  Also, they have serious weight considerations so use lighter weight materials, like thin fake wall paneling, rather than heavier real wood.  As one gentleman who was sitting in front of his brand-new $300,000 motorhome told me, "They are all crap.  The difference is that I am handy and fix all the crap myself."  There are some well-built motor homes, but they are the very expensive ones built on a chassis that can handle a lot of extra weight.

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you have a wonderful time with your RV. 
If you want a motor home, but you are not certain what you want consider renting one.  The rent may seem expensive, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying one and deciding you do not like it.
John and Becky 2004 Alfa See Ya
2008 Honda CRV.

I'm convinced the people who design the floor plans never spent any time in one. Think through a day in it. Where you will put your clothes - dirty and clean? Can you get in and out when the slide is closed? Where do you keep the broom and/or vacuum? Do you need to be a contortionist to make the bed? Is there enough cabinet space for dishes and for food? Everything has to be put away when traveling - you can't leave things on the table or on the counter. If you are using a convertible sofa or dinette for a bed, where does the bedding go during the day? Is there a place to just stretch out for a quick nap?

All you really need to do is go and experience different things. I've had all RV's from popup to 38' haulers. It all comes down to fitment.

I prefer small class C diesels. They allow you the freedom of movement, are more economical and distracting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom