ac too small....mfg says void warranty if aftermarket upgrade.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they made the hole too small to put a bigger btu unit in, unless I cut the hole bigger. I would sell the TT and get something else before I will do that since it is brand new.

David

they make some incredibly small efficient window units that cost less than $100. and will cool off just about any single room.

sightseers said:
they make some incredibly small efficient window units that cost less than $100. and will cool off just about any single room.

All the bigger btu units i have found on the net are bigger in dimensions than the hole.  Unless your talking about the as seen on tv, Arctic Air thing that is just a small swamp cooler.

David

I'll bet a 6k window unit will cool you as well as most 13k rv units,  and if you run a separate extension cord to power the window unit you could run them both at the same time without any warranty issues.

sightseers said:
I'll bet a 6k window unit will cool you as well as most 13k rv units,  and if you run a separate extension cord to power you could run them both at the same time.
I had a class A with both a 5k window unit in the bedroom and a 13k roof unit in the living room. The 5k was nowhere near as good at cooling as the 13k was, and it was cooling a larger room with more windows and two doors.

okay run them both on max...if you run a separate extension cord to power the window unit you could run them both at the same time without any warranty issues.

dude_chevy said:
All the bigger btu units i have found on the net are bigger in dimensions than the hole.  Unless your talking about the as seen on tv, Arctic Air thing that is just a small swamp cooler.

David

Here's the type folks above are referring to:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-12-000-BTU-7-000-BTU-DOE-115-Volt-Portable-AC-w-Dehumidifier-Function-and-LCD-Remote-in-Black-LP1217GSR/300422893

yes those are the portable units, I've gone through 4 of them over the years.  They work.

But if you look on the back side, you will see a white drain port at the very bottom.    When you forget to drain that every couple days... it will soak the floor.

here is a window unit..https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-5-000-BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner-Only-in-White-HWF05XCR/300374532

So this is what i ordered on Amazon to run instead of the 8,000 btu window unit that came standard in my 2018 Aspen Trail 1800RB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS3J9SA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a 12,000 btu portable a/c unit. I plugged it in last night while it was about 98 degrees outside. By the time I went to bed, it had cooled it down to 85 degrees. That was about 3 hours run time. I let it run all night and al the next day while i was at work with the temp set to 70 degrees. When i got hot today the temp out side is about 95. the temp inside the trailer was still at 80 degrees. I am at a loss....I don;t know what to do. I thought surely 12.000 btu would have been enough.

PLz help. Concerned I might be better off selling the TT.

David

RVs are difficult to either heat up or cool down. Thin insulation, no attic and lots of windows make it a difficult place to either heat up or cool down.

dude_chevy said:
So this is what i ordered on Amazon to run instead of the 8,000 btu window unit that came standard in my 2018 Aspen Trail 1800RB.

I would run both ACs if you have the power to do it

Sorry, but you say run the 12, 000 unit instead of the 8000 unit? Why not run both?

You definitely have the right idea in getting a portable unit that has both an an inlet and outlet pipe. The single hose portable air conditioners create a vacuum in the trailer that just pulls hot air from outside through whatever crack is available. The two hose units maintain a balanced air pressure in the unit. I know, because I tried one of those in our previous unit that had no air conditioning. The two hose units will work, but a single hose unit probably will not.

many RV's will only get about a 15 degree A/C difference, especially if they are sitting in the sun on a hot day.  RVs are not very thermally efficient dwellings, hot or cold.

Frank B said:
Sorry, but you say run the 12, 000 unit instead of the 8000 unit? Why not run both?

You definitely have the right idea in getting a portable unit that has both an an inlet and outlet pipe. The single hose portable air conditioners create a vacuum in the trailer that just pulls hot air from outside through whatever crack is available. The two hose units maintain a balanced air pressure in the unit. I know, because I tried one of those in our previous unit that had no air conditioning. The two hose units will work, but a single hose unit probably will not.

actually the one i bought is only a one hose unit. I didn't think about the 2 hose units.

I did plug in both units, and it didn't blow a fuse so that is an option. I didnt want to have to run two a/c  on a 20 foot trailer, biut i guess on 90+ days I will have to.

dude_chevy said:
actually the one i bought is only a one hose unit. I didn't think about the 2 hose units.

I did plug in both units, and it didn't blow a fuse so that is an option. I didnt want to have to run two a/c  on a 20 foot trailer, biut i guess on 90+ days I will have to.

Yeah, I didn't find the one hose units that effective for the reasons mentioned. I waited for a hot week the following year, and sold it for close to what I paid for it. :) 

Another thing that I tried with the single hose unit was to put the air conditioning unit outside, and duct the cool air in through a window. I had to cobble together with duct tape and some metal ducting a way to connect a hose to the outlet grille on the air conditioner.

The temperature control will not work because it is outside in the ambient temperature. However, it then pressurized the trailer with cool air, and any air escaping through cracks was cold air going outside.  Not efficient, but I was not on an electrical meter. The campground was paying for the power. I don't recommend it for a permanent installation, but it got me out of a jam until I could sell the one hose unit.

Indeed, in very hot conditions, you may need both. Did you also try the other suggestions to keep the heat out to begin with?

Since you just bought it m, even if you have to pay the shipping I would carefully pack it up and return it to Amazon - it?s not performing adequately

It is a 12,000 btu portable a/c unit. ... I let it run all night and al the next day while i was at work with the temp set to 70 degrees. When i got hot today the temp out side is about 95. the temp inside the trailer was still at 80 degrees. I am at a loss....I don;t know what to do. I thought surely 12.000 btu would have been enough.

That's what I tried to warn you about in my earlier message [quoted below]. Some suggestions for improvements are included.

Go ahead and put a bigger a/c in - a 10,000 btu window unit doesn't draw a lot more power than an 8000 btu unit and it might help. Mostly, though, your problem is sun-loading and minimal insulation.  The cold air coming out of the a/c quickly gets heated up by the walls and ceiling, so there is a limited amount it can do.  Try to park in shade, put insulating covers on roof vents and windows, deploy awning if you have one, etc. Anything to reduce heat transfer.

Rvs in general, and smaller, lighter ones in particular, are difficult to cool (or heat) for a variety of reasons.  Between sun-load heating, minimal insulation, single pane windows, and air leaks, you gain heat as fast as you can cool.  It's probably chilly enough right in front of the a/c, but the surroundings never get very cool.  Another piece of the RV cooling problem is that you are never far from an exterior wall or window and those areas are always warmer.  If the thermometer is near one of the warm (hot?) surfaces, it probably shows a much higher temperature than it might is placed in the center of the room.

Sun2Retire said:
Since you just bought it m, even if you have to pay the shipping I would carefully pack it up and return it to Amazon - it?s not performing adequately
Good suggestion Sun. Amazon is wonderful about taking things back.

That air conditioner is not energy star rated and I can't find any efficiency rating.  It likely puts out no more than the previous 8,000.  Maybe you can return that piece of junk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom