Air Card vs. Tethering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newrvers09

Wondering which will be the best option for my situation...

I will have the need to work at times while on trips, need Internet access to upload info to my clients.  Currenly have Verizon with a "smart" phone and "data plan" that I already pay for.  I know I can "tether" the phone to the laptop and use Verizon's Mobile Broadband Connect.  I called Verizon and was told it would be about $30/month to add the tethering feature.  Wondering...do you incur additional charges for how much data/bytes you use, upload,etc?

On the other side, not quite sure how the air cards work? Would it be more cost effective, faster, etc?

Kim

You get 5 gigabytes (5000 MB) of data transfer per month for that fee. The limit is the same for tethering or a cell modem (air card).  That's a lot of data, but can be exceeded if you start downloading movies or watch tv on the internet.

In general the cell modem is no faster unless your phone has the older version of the EVDO data transfer protocol (Rev 0 as opposed to Rev A). Even then, the difference is minimal under most reception conditions.

The  cell modem is a bit more convenient to use and can easily be shared by use of a cellular-capable wifi router such as the Cradlepoint products.

The net cost to tether the Smart phone is the same as a cell modem ($59.99/month), but you are already paying half of that for the Smart phone service, so tethering is less expensive than adding a modem.  If you did not have a Smart phone, tethering would be $10/month cheaper than the cell modem (tethering of a "dumb" phone is $49.99/month total).

Whether you tether the smartphone or get an air card, you will have a monthly bandwidth limit of 5GB and the cost will be about the same.  I would recommend the air card as you will then have the phone free for use even while connected to the internet.

If I have my facts straight tethering is a monthly charge with no commitment. The air card requires a commitment with a hefty penalty if discontinued early.

I am using a Verizon USB-720 air card right now.  I bought it for $11.00 on eBay and thus didn't have to go with a 24 month contract.  Works great, I am at the Florida state WIT rally in Orlando and the only WiFi signals that I see are all Cradlepoint and MiFi routers here.  When free WiFi is available I use it, but don't have to.  I have used less than 1 GB in 3 weeks, so have 4 GB to use in the next week.

Jim is correct - tethering can be started and stopped without penalty, whereas a cell modem requires its own account and a commitment. But the disconnect fee is small ($15, I think)  if you own the equipment and did not get a discount from Verizon to buy it.

We use a Verizon Air Card with Cradlepoint Modem and are quite satisfied with it. If you'll ever need to use multiple computers or, for that matter, a wireless printer you'll probably prefer the Modem. As someone else pointed out, you retain the use of the phone while on line, and for many (us included) that will be a difference service, sometimes an advantage where coverage is limited.
Ernie

newrvers09 said:
Wondering which will be the best option for my situation...

I will have the need to work at times while on trips, need Internet access to upload info to my clients.

Up until a few months ago I used Starband satellite for Internet - and was considering replacing it with an air car. In the interim I tethered my Samsung Omnia smartphone via Vz. The incremental monthly fee was $15 w/no contract required. When I decided to end the satellite service, I opted for an air card vs. continuing to tether.

My work requires transfer of data to/from clients and to my server - so the tethering was just too inconvenient. Not sure how it works with all phones, but w/the Omnia I had to make sure it was set up properly to be a modem vs. other options each time I tethered.  I also synced MS Outlook contacts between that phone and my PC - and that was a hassle as it would interfere when I wanted to tether. I finally figured out the list of stuff to change each time I tethered, but finally decided that list was too long.

Soon after setting up the air card I also added a Cradlepoint router and now network 2 desktops and a laptop. The system works fine for me, and so far, better than w/satellite -- but have no experience in other locations as yet.

As to use of the phone while tethering, you "can" do that. I was told initially that was not the case, but found out later it would work. However, that too is a hassle. Calls would be dropped, noise on the line and so forth. If I continued to tether, I would have purchased a second phone and have incoming calls forwarded to that phone while on line.

So the good news about tethering is that it is cheaper, the bad news is that (for me) it was too much of a hassle.  :)

The answer to "Tether or Air card" depends on your phone, and a few other things  I will try to discuss it here

Many phones (Mine for example) you can internet -OR- Talk but both at one time, But not both.. If a voice call comes in I'm knocked off line.. I can still do AOL-IM or Text messages and some selected other thigns but WWW. no way.

Other phones are not so limited (I-phone for example, and I suspect the Droid) 

So if I go air-card.. I will likely go air-card..

The other factor is your phone plan.. With an air card you have to pay for a 2nd line for the card (A 2nd voice line and number) and in my case that's 10 bucks on a family plan.. But if it's going to be a major hit.. Forget it (Then I have to pay for "Unlimited" internet (Not the quotes) on top of that)

Currently I use park-Wi-Fi or Flying-J/Mcdonalds/ Computer store/other free Wi-Fi  (This Sunday, Since I'll be driving the house. I'll park in front of Comptuers Plus and use their open router.. Major bandwidth since the store is closed and I'm the only one on the router)

I have one of the more basic (aka - cheap) Verizon phones with an inexpensive voice plan.  When I need Internet on the road, I simply call Verizon and have the tether feature activated.  The cost is $49.99 per month, pro-rated for partial months.  Activation/deactivation is instantaneous and costs nothing.  The procedure is, plug in the cable and GO!  No hassle at all.

I can, and have, made and received many voice calls while tethering without a problem.  Granted, I don't deal with large files or do a great deal of multiplexing of job streams.

I find that tethering suits my needs perfectly.

For those who were following the tangent about tethering a Smartphone and sharing the connection via a router, please see the new thread here:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=30052.msg284902#msg284902

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom