Allison Transmission Tech Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way to program it myself? I would like it to stay in a higher gear on some of the hills I'm on. I don't want to go gown them at 75 nor do i want to go down them at 60. My coach down shifts around 63-64. I would like it to hold in the higher gear. I think others might feel them same.

hes4all said:
There is no way to program it myself? I would like it to stay in a higher gear on some of the hills I'm on. I don't want to go gown them at 75 nor do i want to go down them at 60. My coach down shifts around 63-64. I would like it to hold in the higher gear. I think others might feel them same.

Have you tried the Mode switch? Mine does just about what you are asking for. As far as programming an Allison you will have to have someone with the software on a laptop to do the programming.

On hills where the exhaust brake combined with the transmission slows me down too much, I turn the exhaust brake off and just manually down shift into the gear that holds me close to the speed I need.

Or as Jeff suggested, turn the mode switch on or off to change the shift point.

hes4all said:
And do what with the mode switch?

On your transmission pad is a mode switch, labeled "Economy". If the red light below it is on, you are in economy mode. If the red light is off you are in standard mode. By pushing the mode button so that you are in economy mode the transmission will downshift 200-300 rpms lower. That will keep you in 6th longer.

You can also turn off your engine brake and downshift manually and turn the brake back on again as needed.

You can also use the low position on your brake switch. That will give you half of the braking power so that you won't slow down as much.

At the risk of sounding real "dumb", as I was crawling under the MH today, contemplating doing my own service on my tranny(filters and Trans-synd) I first noticed where I believe the two filters go(in the circular bolted on plates) on the Tranny. I also took notice of a great number of mounting screws as I was looking for the drain plug(I believe it must be the "allyn" headed bolt toward the front of the trans). Could you please take me through the full process of changing the fluid and it possible verify my findings thus far? I believe I have discovered the Filter kit # 29540494...I think this is the "Gold" series filter kit...? I have been hearing prices of 34-40.00 a gallon for Trans-synd fluid...is that about right?  Im kinda torn between having my local authorized Allison dealer doing this service and doing it myself, as I have in my younger, thinner days(when crawling under the MH was easier!!). Once again, this is a HD 4060 trans in a 95 Vogue MH.(this will be the 2nd Trans-synd change). Thank you for any help you can provide.

PS......as I was researching Allison info today, I discovered your "helping" hand as far back as 2002/2003 on Forum's preceding this one. Thank you for all you do!
Dwight

the best way to get the correct filters is to give the dealer the trans serial number from the side of the trans.  it should start with a 661xxxxxx if its an HD.  the kit comes with 2 styles of o-rings for the filter plates. if the old plates had the square style and they sit in a recess in the bottom of the filter plate, then you DO NOT USE THE GASKETS. if it has the round style (and no recess in the bottom of the plate) then you use the gaskets. the drain plug is at the rear of the trans and has a 3/8 inch square drive recess in it.

hello i have a 1992 allegro bay with the 190hp cummings and allison trans on oshkosh chassis. i just purchased it last year late season so not sure on how long fluid and filter has been in it, but my problem is on cold starts it takes a long time going into reverse but forward will go right in . and after you running about 40 miles it acts like its shifting too fast . any ideas would b appreciated. thanks again.

do you know what model trans you have?  if its a 92' it could be an electronically controlled or hydraulic controlled trans.  I need to know to help.

Allison Man,

I have diesel (Cat 3116) with Stone Bennett toggel shifter.  Stopped in driveway and shifted to N and heard whirring, light grinding noise coming from tranny area.  I then shifted into R and shift was normal and noise gone.  Then shifted to N and noise was again there.  Shifted to D and noise gone.  Noise only in neutral and tranny normal in all other aspects. Don't know if related but leveling jacks do not work now (suspect the jacks know/think tranny not fully in N).  I'm hoping it's just an external adjustment that will put tranny fully into neutral.  Thanks & your thoughts.

Dave W.

it may have come out of adjustment and is not going into neutral fully.  the shifter may be worn out and needs rebuilt.  the only way to check it is to lift the coach to get under it and make sure the shifter is lining up with the shift selector on the trans. with the eng off key on and have someone shift it.  I would take it in and have it fixed by an Allison dealer because if it gets adjusted wrong it will burn up the trans.

First of all, thank you for the awesome advice. You are a blessing to all of us here. My question is this. Can I program my trans to be manually downshifted, mainly when the jake is on? I don't like how if shifts down so quickly. I have a 06 Mountain Aire, 400 Cummings. Thank you again!

you can manually downshift using the down arrow on the shift pad when not using the jake brake.  the downshifting when the jake brake is on feature is called "engine brake preselect".  it can be changed only by programming at an Allison dealer.  it can be set from 2nd gear (most aggressive downshifts) to 5th or 6th gear (least aggressive).  you can tell what it is set at now by driving the coach at about 60 mph and then slowing down with the jake brake on.  the shifter will display what gear it is going to aggressively downshift to.  you will loose effectiveness of the jake brake by setting it higher. 

If I go with the higher preselect gear for the engine brake preselect, I can still down shift manually with the Jake on, correct.

hes4all said:
If I go with the higher preselect gear for the engine brake preselect, I can still down shift manually with the Jake on, correct.

Correct, but if you have it reprogrammed to seek 5th gear, you won't gain much since usually you are going too fast to downshift to 4th and it will downshift to 5th the same as if you reprogrammed it.

Allisonman, I finally crawled under the rig and obtained some numbers for you. The serial was easy enough, SN6310973481. The other number I'm not so sure about. I didn't find the ECM that you described. What I did find on the opposite side of the trans was a round solenoid shaped part, with a 4 wire harness leading to it. It had a sticker on it with various info on it that I will attempt to describe to you. The part number appeared to be PN-L 10 Rev B 12V.  And then another line of numbers were 937859 934-30-1040-12.  A separate sticker also listed 2 lines of numbers, and it was posted just above the solenoid part. The numbers on the top line were 0973481, and the second line was E011124. 

That was all I could see and get to.  The fuel filter/water separator is also mounted right next to it and make it difficult to get to.  How did I do?

Allisonman, I finally crawled under the rig and obtained some numbers for you. The serial was easy enough, SN6310973481. The other number I'm not so sure about. I didn't find the ECM that you described. What I did find on the opposite side of the trans was a round solenoid shaped part, with a 4 wire harness leading to it. It had a sticker on it with various info on it that I will attempt to describe to you. The part number appeared to be PN-L 10 Rev B 12V.  And then another line of numbers were 937859 934-30-1040-12.  A separate sticker also listed 2 lines of numbers, and it was posted just above the solenoid part. The numbers on the top line were 0973481, and the second line was E011124.

That was all I could see and get to.  The fuel filter/water separator is also mounted right next to it and make it difficult to get to.  How did I do?

your trans was built on 12/12/2009 and sold to Freightliner-Gaffney.  since it is an 09' trans then it will have an 09' calibration.  if it had the 2010 calibration it would have immediately set a code  and it wouldn't have got out of the factory.  if it would have been built after jan. 2010 and it had the 09' calibration then the trans would not set a code and shift fairly good for awhile but have problems later in life.  I believe that anyone who had this problem got a letter in the mail.    they hide those TCM's pretty good most of the time  ;D  I usually find them in a rear compartment on Freightliner chassis. it might involve removing panels in those compartments and it can be a big hassle. you don't need to find the TCM if you don't want to because it is an 09' trans.        the solenoid shaped part with a 4 wire connection is something I'm not familiar with.  do you have an electronic pushbutton shifter?  I have seen a few motorhomes come in with a 1000/2000 series trans with electronic pushbutton shifters but it is not an Allison shifter. an electric motor rotates the shift  selector shaft instead of it being cable operated. 

Allisonman,
I have been a lurker on this forum for several years, but I finally joined just so I could ask you a question.
I have a 1986 35 foot Class A MH with a healthy (albeit stock) carburetted 454 and a dead TH400.  In order to get decent MPG I need to hold about 3000 rpm at 65mph for 12-13 inches vacuum.  At rpms below about 2800 the vacuum drops and mileage and throttle response both go in the toilet (a technical term...).  I am not interested in cruising above 65 mph so an overdrive does me little good.  I would like to have a closer gear between 2nd (1.48) and 3rd (direct) for pulling.  My other MH had a US Gear OD and the 1st OD and 2nd OD ratios were really useful, but 3rd OD was too high and I could rarely use it.  My choices seem to be a stout rebuilt TH400 with a Gear Vendors underdrive or an Allison product.  I like the ratio splits on the AT545 but it appears it is limited to 3800rpm input?  The MT640 and MT650  have acceptable ratios but are also limited to 4000 rpm.  When pulling hard in 1st or 2nd this engine turns up to 4500 rpm before shifting and when pulling a load on a long grade I hold it at about 4100.  I also need a non-electronic trans.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I just spent over an hour reading every one of your posts; I hope the forum realizes what an incredible resource you offer.

Thanks,
Patrick Cherry
Ojai, CA

Allisonman,
I have been a lurker on this forum for several years, but I finally joined just so I could ask you a question.
I have a 1986 35 foot Class A MH with a healthy (albeit stock) carburetted 454 and a dead TH400.  In order to get decent MPG I need to hold about 3000 rpm at 65mph for 12-13 inches vacuum.  At rpms below about 2800 the vacuum drops and mileage and throttle response both go in the toilet (a technical term...).  I am not interested in cruising above 65 mph so an overdrive does me little good.  I would like to have a closer gear between 2nd (1.48) and 3rd (direct) for pulling.  My other MH had a US Gear OD and the 1st OD and 2nd OD ratios were really useful, but 3rd OD was too high and I could rarely use it.  My choices seem to be a stout rebuilt TH400 with a Gear Vendors underdrive or an Allison product.  I like the ratio splits on the AT545 but it appears it is limited to 3800rpm input?  The MT640 and MT650  have acceptable ratios but are also limited to 4000 rpm.  When pulling hard in 1st or 2nd this engine turns up to 4500 rpm before shifting and when pulling a load on a long grade I hold it at about 4100.  I also need a non-electronic trans.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I just spent over an hour reading every one of your posts; I hope the forum realizes what an incredible resource you offer.

Thanks,
Patrick Cherry
Ojai, CA

there was a lot of AT545's put behind the 454 engine so finding the adaptation parts will be easier than the MT643.  the rpm is limited to 3800 with it but you may be able to tweak the shift points up a little (200-300 rpm) but, the downshifts might get a little harsh, especially the 2 to 1 downshift.  you can set each shift valve individually (1-2,2-3,3-4) so you could set certain gears a little higher and the lower gears lower to give smooth downshifts.  you can use the Allison vacuum modulator instead of the electric modulator since you have a gas engine.  there are 2 torque convertor choices 275 and 290.  the 290 is a low stall for diesels and the 275 is for gas engines.  you could find any good used AT545 and change it to the rpm rating that you want with a 275 torque convertor,  valve body springs (if the valve body is a reduced modulation you will need to turn it back to a standard modulation), governor and, vacuum modulator.  the speedometer gear might have to be changed also.  you probably have a cable type speedometer?  if you do then the most commonly found AT545's have the 16 tooth electric speedometer gear in them. the rear bearing can be removed to change the gear to the 6 or 8 tooth for cable driven speedometers. 

I have a 1999 Itasca with the cummins 275hp and the Allison MD-3060 transmission. I purchased the motorhome last July with 70,000 miles. To my knowledge the transmission fluid hasn't been changed before. I have performed all the other maintenance myself: oil\filter change, lube, fuel filter change, diesel generator maintenance. I really only have the transmission fluid and the coolant left to be changed.

I purchased the Allison twin filter kit (2" high capacity filter kit p/n 29548987) from the Freightliner dealer when I purchased the rest of the parts last August. So far I've only been on short trips in the state (150 miles max) and have only put a few thousand miles on the mh. Is there anything about the transmission service that might cause me to want to take the mh to the Allison service center? Do they only perform a fluid drain and replace the filters\gaskets and then refill? Anything for me to watch out for should I choose to do this myself?

thanks, joe

I have a 1999 Itasca with the cummins 275hp and the Allison MD-3060 transmission. I purchased the motorhome last July with 70,000 miles. To my knowledge the transmission fluid hasn't been changed before. I have performed all the other maintenance myself: oil\filter change, lube, fuel filter change, diesel generator maintenance. I really only have the transmission fluid and the coolant left to be changed.

I purchased the Allison twin filter kit (2" high capacity filter kit p/n 29548987) from the Freightliner dealer when I purchased the rest of the parts last August. So far I've only been on short trips in the state (150 miles max) and have only put a few thousand miles on the mh. Is there anything about the transmission service that might cause me to want to take the mh to the Allison service center? Do they only perform a fluid drain and replace the filters\gaskets and then refill? Anything for me to watch out for should I choose to do this myself?

thanks, joe

when you take it to a dealer they just drain the sump fluid and remove the filters and change them.  there is directions on filter change procedures in the filter kit.  don't use an impact wrench to put the filter bolts back in because you can crack the filter covers and strip out the case threads.  this is a messy job so I'd put some cardboard down under the drain buckets.  a lot of fluid will come out when you remove the filter covers.  make sure you have a good gasket scraper for those filter cover gaskets. they will be stuck on there really good if they have never been changed.  I use trans assembly lube or Vaseline on the new ones so that they don't stick as bad for the next change. 

I have a 2009 Winnebago with the W22 Workhorse chassis and Allison 1000MH transmission with 3000 miles. Last week on a return trip on I26 from NC to TN there was a short period where the steep grade caused the transmission to shift to 2nd. The water temp went to 222 degrees and the RPMs were around 4000. The transmission apparently vented because my toad was lightly coated with trans fluid. I did a cold check of trans fluid level the next day and it showed to be about a half inch below the cold level mark. Is it normal for venting to occur in these conditions? The transmission had not previously leaked any fluid. Also, should I change the spin-on filter now rather than wait for the 5000 mile interval since the transmission was probably built in 2008?

Allisonman,

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.  You've made the decision process much easier.

allisonman said:
            there was a lot of AT545's put behind the 454 engine so finding the adaptation parts will be easier than the MT643.  the rpm is limited to 3800 with it but you may be able to tweak the shift points up a little (200-300 rpm) but, the downshifts might get a little harsh, especially the 2 to 1 downshift.  you can set each shift valve individually (1-2,2-3,3-4) so you could set certain gears a little higher and the lower gears lower to give smooth downshifts.  you can use the Allison vacuum modulator instead of the electric modulator since you have a gas engine.  there are 2 torque convertor choices 275 and 290.  the 290 is a low stall for diesels and the 275 is for gas engines.  you could find any good used AT545 and change it to the rpm rating that you want with a 275 torque convertor,  valve body springs (if the valve body is a reduced modulation you will need to turn it back to a standard modulation), governor and, vacuum modulator.  the speedometer gear might have to be changed also.  you probably have a cable type speedometer?  if you do then the most commonly found AT545's have the 16 tooth electric speedometer gear in them. the rear bearing can be removed to change the gear to the 6 or 8 tooth for cable driven speedometers.

allisonman said:
          your trans was built on 12/12/2009 and sold to Freightliner-Gaffney.  since it is an 09' trans then it will have an 09' calibration.  if it had the 2010 calibration it would have immediately set a code  and it wouldn't have got out of the factory.  if it would have been built after jan. 2010 and it had the 09' calibration then the trans would not set a code and shift fairly good for awhile but have problems later in life.  I believe that anyone who had this problem got a letter in the mail.    they hide those TCM's pretty good most of the time  ;D  I usually find them in a rear compartment on Freightliner chassis. it might involve removing panels in those compartments and it can be a big hassle. you don't need to find the TCM if you don't want to because it is an 09' trans.        the solenoid shaped part with a 4 wire connection is something I'm not familiar with.  do you have an electronic pushbutton shifter?  I have seen a few motorhomes come in with a 1000/2000 series trans with electronic pushbutton shifters but it is not an Allison shifter. an electric motor rotates the shift  selector shaft instead of it being cable operated. 

I thought I would give you an update on the shifting issue I was having with the 2500 series MH trans.  I started turning off the "Mode" button when I approach any kind of significant grade.  The trans shifts quicker and doesn't seem to hang in gear as long before up shifting on the down grade side of the hill.  The 3000 MH trans I had on the 06' didn't much care whether the mode button was on or not.  The 2500 series, it makes all the difference in performance. 

Thanks for your help. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom