Amazon Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I subscribe to Amazon Prime. Have had it for many years and never ran into this problem.
Last night, I placed an order for an item Qty 2. Each was $55.00. Immediately received a the email thanking me for the order and saying they will notify me when they ship.
During the night I wanted to check on the order status and I clicked on the order status. The overall price had gone up to $197.00. Looked into it a little further and saw that there were $87.00 in shipping charges.
I was able to get into it and cancel the order so I thought. When asked why I wanted to cancel, I clicked on “shipping charges too high”.
Looked into a little further. Got back to the original posting and sure enough, Prime was no there in the listing. I thought all this time if you were a Prime member, you automatically got free shipping. WRONG.
Also this morning I opened up my emails and expected to find one saying the order was cancelled. I had nothing from Amazon. Got back into my account and the order is still there but now there is nothing allowing me to cancel.
Contacted Amazon and they said if I don’t hear anything within 48 hours, I should be able to get a refund. Anyone else run into this?

I subscribe to Amazon Prime. Have had it for many years and never ran into this problem.
Last night, I placed an order for an item Qty 2. Each was $55.00. Immediately received a the email thanking me for the order and saying they will notify me when they ship.
During the night I wanted to check on the order status and I clicked on the order status. The overall price had gone up to $197.00. Looked into it a little further and saw that there were $87.00 in shipping charges.
I was able to get into it and cancel the order so I thought. When asked why I wanted to cancel, I clicked on “shipping charges too high”.
Looked into a little further. Got back to the original posting and sure enough, Prime was no there in the listing. I thought all this time if you were a Prime member, you automatically got free shipping. WRONG.
Also this morning I opened up my emails and expected to find one saying the order was cancelled. I had nothing from Amazon. Got back into my account and the order is still there but now there is nothing allowing me to cancel.
Contacted Amazon and they said if I don’t hear anything within 48 hours, I should be able to get a refund. Anyone else run into this?
Yes, if on the listing there isn't the prime free shipping or eligible for prime under the item it could be from a third party seller who charges for shipping. It's quite common when buying used books. Amazon is only the broker for third party sellers.

No. Just because you are a Prime member doesn’t mean you get free shipping on everything. The item for sale has to say Prime. We’ve had very few problems with Amazon.
Never knew that. So maybe when the vender sees the cancellation ,that will be the end of it

Yes, if on the listing there isn't the prime free shipping or eligible for prime under the item it could be from a third party seller who charges for shipping. It's quite common when buying used books. Amazon is only the broker for third party sellers.
Thanks. Now I know

DW and I have developed the habit of screen capturing the product/descriptions/promises we see, then also capture the final purchase page - it's far too easy to simple change an ad and repost it.

Price, color, dimensions, warranty, deliver and every other "fact" in an ad can change in a heartbeat...

May have also clicked on "available by other vendors that do not offer free shipping". Those prices may be lower, but you pay shipping.
I usually check to see if it's shipped by Amazon.

Never knew that. So maybe when the vender sees the cancellation ,that will be the end of it
Some vendors will send an e-mail right away that the item has shipped so they can get around cancelations, ie., they’ve likely experienced a high rate of cancelations when the shipping charges are applied. In that case you’ve got to get on the phone with Amazon and cut it off at the pass or it can turn into a returns Charlie Foxtrot, especially with something incurring that kind of shipping charge. In some cases the third party could even require you pay the return shipping charges.

My stepdaughter got scammed last night by something that "looked" like it was on Amazon, but was not, really.
It was something she saw on Facebook, that seemed to be an Amazon dealer, and the page looked like it was an Amazon Page, but apparently wasn't.

So, now she is out 300 bucks, and had to cancel her debit card because there appeared to be monthly charges involved.
And, I have to add that she is not one that is easily scammed. She is one of the sharpest people I know about attempted scams. If they got her, they can get anyone.

Make sure that you are actually on Amazon.
Amazon has my payment info stashed away in their system. I never have to give that info while shopping on Amazon. Also shipping info. Amazon already has that, and never asks.
Same with Paypal. They never ask. They already know. So if whoever looks like Amazon, or Paypal, or WalMart, Sam's Club, Target, etc. ever asks for that info, I know I am not actually dealing with those vendors, and I shut it down, immediately.

Don't do business with strange vendors online. It's too risky.
We cannot be too careful.

My stepdaughter got scammed last night by something that "looked" like it was on Amazon, but was not, really.
It was something she saw on Facebook, that seemed to be an Amazon dealer, and the page looked like it was an Amazon Page, but apparently wasn't.

So, now she is out 300 bucks, and had to cancel her debit card because there appeared to be monthly charges involved.
And, I have to add that she is not one that is easily scammed. She is one of the sharpest people I know about attempted scams. If they got her, they can get anyone.

Make sure that you are actually on Amazon.
Amazon has my payment info stashed away in their system. I never have to give that info while shopping on Amazon. Also shipping info. Amazon already has that, and never asks.
Same with Paypal. They never ask. They already know. So if whoever looks like Amazon, or Paypal, or WalMart, Sam's Club, Target, etc. ever asks for that info, I know I am not actually dealing with those vendors, and I shut it down, immediately.

Don't do business with strange vendors online. It's too risky.
We cannot be too careful.
As an fyi for her I’d suggest she use a CC instead of debit, all she’d have had to do is call the issuer and dispute the charge. Getting fraudulent charges refunded on CC’s is ordinarily just a matter of a few minutes on the phone. No matter how sophisticated the scammers are there is no chance that CC charge was paid out in 24 hrs. Otherwise as well, she can call the bank and try to stop payment on the debit, it may cost her $35.00 or so but there’s a chance she can catch it before it’s processed and as well dispute the charge to the debit card. Banks can be however be a real pita to deal with concerning debit card disputes, that’s why most people now use a CC card like a debit card.

Looked into it a little further and saw that there were $87.00 in shipping charges.
Amazon does a lot of "drop shipping" which means they order the item from somewhere else to have it shipped to you. They won't give you the "Prime" deal on such stuff.

Of course, when you first join Prime (as I did years ago) they don't tell you that many items do not qualify for Prime, and you still have to pay for the shipping on many items. And this is often the case on the stuff that has the highest shipping costs because of weight or whatever.

Nevertheless, I find it worth it to be a Prime member as I do a lot of businesses with them.

And many of their warehouses are here in Reno and I get a lot of my stuff within 24 hours after the order. And the stuff they stock is always qualified for Prime, AFAIK.

It usually takes a day or two longer to get stuff shipped to my Auburn house because it too usually comes from here in Reno.

One of the largest industries here in Reno/Sparks is warehousing.

Don't drive into the warehouse areas here in Reno without a GPS. It is a difficult maze to get out of. Miles and miles of warehouses in some areas.

Even when I lived in South San Francisco and would go to a car dealer to buy a part, the most common thing I would hear would be " We do not have it in stock here, but we have it in our warehouse in Reno."

-Don- Reno, NV

On a related note I recently dealt with a non-returnable item from Amazon that did have Prime shipping which was past its best by date by 7 months when it arrived. I was eventually able to get refund on it, after getting past the automated reply system and speaking with an actual human.

Never, ever under any circumstances use a debit card to purchase anything online. About the only thing a debit card is good for is withdrawing money from an ATM.
I have a debit card issued from Paypal, which I use specifically for online activity. I put money in the Paypal account specifically to cover online purchases with the card. If the account runs dry, I'm done shopping for the month. (Unless I decide I need something, then I have to put more money in the account, which triggers a query from the Missus, to the effect of "What are you buying NOW!?!?!?")

That info is totally wrong. I have gotten a refund on every fraud that I have had. No different from a credit card.
No one ever said you can’t get refunds on debit card fraud but only that it’s exponentially more difficult than with a CC and they’re not even remotely the same. Just this past year I disputed a $2600.00 CC transaction to which I had voluntarily and knowingly agreed, but only a week later discovered the services on the work order had not been performed. The payment to the shop was denied and the charges were removed from my CC. Had that been a debit card there is no chance in hell I’d have recovered that $2600.00.

I thought all this time if you were a Prime member, you automatically got free shipping. WRONG.
The item for sale has to say Prime. We’ve had very few problems with Amazon.
There are several different types of sales via Amazon. Prime only applies to the items that are sold and shipped by Amazon. Other vendors choose to have Amazon sell for them but do their own shipping and yet others just pay Amazon to be listed but the actual transaction is directly between the vendor and the customer, with Amazon only being an advertising medium. Neither of those have the services of a Prime membership as Amazon has no direct control of the sale or shipping. If you read the Prime information it does tell you this.
I have a debit card issued from Paypal,
"The PayPal Debit Card only uses the money available in your PayPal Balance account. The PayPal Debit Mastercard® is issued by The Bancorp Bank, N.A. (“Bancorp”) pursuant to a license by Mastercard International Incorporated and may be used everywhere Mastercard is accepted."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottlp123
Back
Top Bottom