Amazon Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Debit cards that are backed by VISA or Mastercard (carries the logo on the card) is subject to the same protections afforded to the branded Credit cards. I know this because all my debit cards have been either ViSA or Mastercard even though they were/are issued by my bank. I can do anything with my VISA debit card that I can with a credit card, including rent a vehicle (yes, I have). What I can't do is buy something that costs more than what I have in my (combined) account.

The shipping charges should not have been a surprise IF you took the time to read the product page and the order placement page. I often order from Amazon. Some things have Prime shipping (says so) and some things don't (says so). Some things will have extended warranties BUT the same item will not IF you buy one of the returned "used" items. Last year, I bought a blue flame wall heater that was listed as "USED - GOOD" condition. If I had spent the extra $120 for the new one, I could have bought an extended warranty. But since I bought the used one, it didn't qualify. Often the used and/or "warehouse" items will not be eligible for returns either. If you slow down and take the time to read the fine print, you will see all this information written down BEFORE you click the PAY button.

BTW, I had no problem buying the heater since there are so many people who try to run these heaters off the little single stage regulators that are sold for hooking up to 20# tanks. A 20kBTU heater needs a 2 stage regulator. The smaller regulators will starve the burner for fuel and tends to ice up. People think it's a problem with the heater.

I have a debit card issued from Paypal,
I still would rather use their credit card:
1706385710186.png

That info is totally wrong. I have gotten a refund on every fraud that I have had. No different from a credit card.

Your info is still wrong.
"When it comes to safety and security in online payments, credit cards generally offer better protection compared to debit cards. Credit cards come with more robust fraud protection measures and limit your liability in case of unauthorized transactions. Additionally, with credit cards, you’re using the bank’s money and not your own funds, as is the case with debit cards. This distinction becomes crucial if you encounter fraud or need to dispute a transaction."

Above info. comes from here as well as countless other places. Since you don't open links, that is from MSN Personal Finance.

I strongly agree with the OldGator. Only use debit when there are no other choices and be careful even then.

Also, credit cards often pay you for using them. I even get a lot of my groceries "free" by using a credit card instead of cash or debit.

1706385639624.png

I even get my oil and oil filters for my Harley for free. The synthetic type. I always got them for free since I owned the bike because of use of my Harley Visa card. And much more.

1706385581639.png

IMAO, it is stupid to use cash or debit cards these days.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
That info is totally wrong. I have gotten a refund on every fraud that I have had. No different from a credit card.
I’m not referring to refunds. If your CC info gets stolen and the it’s used to fraudulently purchase merchandise or services you can dispute the charges and have them reversed. If your debit card that is tied to your checking account is compromised you stand a chance of having your account cleared out.

Debit cards that are backed by VISA or Mastercard (carries the logo on the card) is subject to the same protections afforded to the branded Credit cards. I know this because all my debit cards have been either ViSA or Mastercard even though they were/are issued by my bank. I can do anything with my VISA debit card that I can with a credit card, including rent a vehicle (yes, I have). What I can't do is buy something that costs more than what I have in my (combined) account.
Bank card purchases are only covered that way if you use it as a credit card and not a debit card. If you use it as a debit card - meaning you use your PIN - it does not have the same protections as using it as a credit card - meaning you have to sign the receipt. If given the option of "Credit or Debit", always choose "Credit" so you are covered.

Also, credit cards often pay you for using them. I even get a lot of my groceries "free" by using a credit card instead of cash or debit.
-Don- Reno, NV
That right there is the reason we return from an extended trip with as much cash on hand as when we left. Even small purchases like a cup of coffee at a drive through McDonalds I out of habit just hand 'em the CC.

I never want any online vendor - Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - to maintain my CC info in their records. Their systems get hacked all the time and we see on the news that the personal information of XX millions of people were compromised. Then we get a letter telling us we can get a year of free credit monitoring as a result.

Whenever I shop online, I always use a credit card and not my debit card. With Lowe's and Home Depot it asks me if I want them to keep that card information and I always click "No", and they don't because the next time I buy from them online I have to put the information in again -this is what I want.

With Walmart, they also ask if I want them to keep my CC info and I also check the box "No". But the next time I get online to buy something from them it is still there and my payment automatically defaults to that card unless I change it. I don't know how to get walmart.com to stop doing that.

That right there is the reason we return from an extended trip with as much cash on hand as when we left. Even small purchases like a cup of coffee at a drive through McDonalds I out of habit just hand 'em the CC.
I pay cash for everything that costs less than $20, total. I use my debit card for most everything between $20 and $50, and my CC for everything above $50. This way, when I'm balancing my checkbook each month I only have to account for the $20-$50 items.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime. Have had it for many years and never ran into this problem.
Last night, I placed an order for an item Qty 2. Each was $55.00. Immediately received a the email thanking me for the order and saying they will notify me when they ship.
During the night I wanted to check on the order status and I clicked on the order status. The overall price had gone up to $197.00. Looked into it a little further and saw that there were $87.00 in shipping charges.
I was able to get into it and cancel the order so I thought. When asked why I wanted to cancel, I clicked on “shipping charges too high”.
Looked into a little further. Got back to the original posting and sure enough, Prime was no there in the listing. I thought all this time if you were a Prime member, you automatically got free shipping. WRONG.
Also this morning I opened up my emails and expected to find one saying the order was cancelled. I had nothing from Amazon. Got back into my account and the order is still there but now there is nothing allowing me to cancel.
Contacted Amazon and they said if I don’t hear anything within 48 hours, I should be able to get a refund. Anyone else run into this?
No because I always choose the Prime filter to the left of the results of browsing. You do get free shipping, but only on items marked Prime.

I tend to also pay cash under $20, or when dining out, which is almost always at least $20 these days. Credit / Debit cards are for purchasing fuel, groceries, online shopping and the somewhat rare occasions when I spend more than $20 in other types of stores.

. Their systems get hacked all the time and we see on the news that the personal information of XX millions of people were compromised.
Fraud has happened to me more times than I can count. But it never took more than a few minutes to fix. And often we profit when that happens. For an example, years ago, a gas station employee was able to add gas to his car on my credit card. I got a free tank of gasoline from that fraud as the entire transaction is cancelled.

I never lost a penny by using a credit card. Only gained. Including when somebody uses my CC fraudulently.

-Don- Reno, NV

I never want any online vendor - Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - to maintain my CC info in their records.`
I never had a problem with that, and I like for them to have to info. That way I get a receipt sent to my email in case I need it later. I will probably lose the paper receipt by the time I get home.

-Don- Reno, NV

It's happened to me more times than I can count. But it never took more than a few minutes to fix. And often we profit when that happens. For an example, years ago, a gas station employee was able to add gas to his car on my credit card. I got a free tank of gasoline from that fraud as the entire transaction is cancelled.

I never lost a penny by using a credit card. Only gained. Including when somebody uses my CC fraudulently.

-Don- Reno, NV
I told you, it because you're a cheap, penny-pincher. :ROFLMAO:

I never had a problem with that, and I like for them to have to info. That way I get a receipt sent to my email in case I need it later. I will probably lose the paper receipt by the time I get home.

-Don- Reno, NV
I'm talking about online sites keeping my info. But now that you mention it, when I buy something at the local WM it always asks me at the end of the transaction if I want an email or printed receipt. I always choose printed because the one time I chose email it asked me to put in my email address. I'm assuming it did that because I don't always use the same card when buying from them. Sometimes it's my bank card, and sometimes it my major CC.

I told you, it because you're a cheap, penny-pincher.
I edited that message because I meant fraud, but never from "Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc."

But I do kinda like to throw dollars away but save the pennies. IOW, CC rewards, free EV charging and especially free steaks! :).

-Don- Reno, NV

I'm talking about online sites keeping my info. But now that you mention it, when I buy something at the local WM it always asks me at the end of the transaction if I want an email or printed receipt. I always choose printed because the one time I chose email it asked me to put in my email address. I'm assuming it did that because I don't always use the same card when buying from them. Sometimes it's my bank card, and sometimes it my major CC.
At Wal*Mart, I only use the Wal*Mart M/C:

1706392331762.png

You only need to put in the email one time per CC. I use the Wally*Mart CC a lot during my RV trips. And I often get out a hundred bucks cash with it, for those few places that don't accept CCs or charge more when I do.

Same with the HFT CC and many other places with the email address... And I also get 5% back in "HFT Money" when I use their card.

1706392425889.png

-Don- Reno, NV

It did that because your e-mail address which you voluntarily supplied has value.

It did that because your e-mail address which you voluntarily supplied has value.
Very true. But the one time it did that I changed it back to "Printed" because I didn't want to give them that info. Even though the WM.com website already has it. The more they say they are trying to make it more secure for the consumer, the more difficult it becomes to protect your information. There are so many different rules for all the different websites regarding creating a password that you have to make a list of them. Which completely defeats the whole "don't write your passwords down" warnings we have been given since the internet began.

Back
Top Bottom