Amazon Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I try to use it at least once a year so they don't cancel my account, though.
I try to rotate thought my countless credit cards as well. I have had several cancelled on me from lack of use. And they often give no warning. I have often had them rejected after trying to use an account that I have not used in a very long time (sometimes years). And that is how I find out. A few do give an advance warning. I got such warnings last year from BOA which kinda said "use it or lose it". And they even gave me a date that I had to use it by. So I did.

I always carry cash on me, but seldom have the extra +/-$100 to fill up. And I don't pay CC fees, if that's what you're talking about.
I always have a few hundred bucks on me, but I noticed on my RV trips, when I once get out of CA & NV many gas stations do not charge extra for using a credit card. I find the cash lasts me a very long time. Here at home, most of my gasoline is for motorcycles. I rode my 2013 Triumph Torphy yesterday to the Lake Davis, CA area. I often use gas bikes this time of year. Yesterday was perfect weather here for riding. Same for today and tomorrow. I will be riding again for these two days. Just need to decide where to go for today and tomorrow. I will probably take an electric today, depending on where I decide to go.

-Don- Reno, NV

I try to rotate thought my countless credit cards as well. I have had several cancelled on me from lack of use. And they often give no warning. I have often had them rejected after trying to use an account that I have not used in a very long time (sometimes years). And that is how I find out. A few do give an advance warning. I got such warnings last year from BOA which kinda said "use it or lose it". And they even gave me a date that I had to use it by. So I did.
I had Chevron send me a letter, probably 20 years ago, saying "use it or lose it". Since then I have tried to use it at least once a year but since the closest Chevron/Texaco to me now is 150 miles away that has become harder to do. About the same time, I had an AT&T Worldwide MasterCard that they just cancelled for lack of use.

I always carry cash on me, but seldom have the extra +/-$100 to fill up. And I don't pay CC fees, if that's what you're talking about.

Yeah, I have a Valero card too. The closest station to me is 30 miles away, so it's not like I can choose them anytime I need gas. I try to use it at least once a year so they don't cancel my account, though. I have a rule of thumb - if the price at the WM Neighborhood Market 20 miles north of me is more than $0.20 cheaper than the Casey's right down the road, I will fill up there. If it is less than a $0.20 difference, I'm not saving anything and may actually be paying more in reality because I will burn up everything I saved at the pump and arrive home with not a full tank of gas.

I was talking about the processing fees the merchant is charged by the CC company. It's anywhere between 2 and 5%. Discover and American Express are the highest.
We have a few gas stations near us that give a 5 cent per gallon discount for cash. We also try to pay the balance off every month to eliminate the interest fees.

1. Merchants pay credit card processing fees to financial institutions that facilitate credit card transactions for the business.
  2. Retailers sometimes pass on processing fees to customers in the form of a credit card convenience fee.
  3. Some states don’t allow retailers to charge you a fee for using a credit card.

Last edited:
So I'm a merchant-- I'll raise prices by 3% and offer discounts for cash.
We have a convenience store near us that charges 3% extra for using credit card. Big sign behind the counter stating this. Of course some places may do this because they can hide cash purchases. :devilish:

It's super frustrating when you expect one thing and then get hit with unexpected charges, especially in the middle of the night.

I've had my fair share of online shopping snafus too. One time, I ordered some tech gear, and when it arrived, it was totally wrong. Spent hours on the phone trying to sort it out!
Hey, if you're still trying to figure out what to do, I recently stumbled upon a discussion about: is temu legit. It's got me thinking about exploring more options for online shopping, especially when things go sideways like this.
TEMU is an option of a Chinese site which traffics all of your information in exchange for allowing you to buy Dollar Store junk. So much for thinly disguised endorsements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom