Any pilots or aviation geeks out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Songbird III was in Oshkosh the last few years.  We have a Cessna T-50  down at Galveston, like the original SongBird.

Below are some pictures I took of Songbird III in 2009

Attachments

• Songbird III -a.jpg
    Songbird III -a.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Songbird III -b.jpg
    Songbird III -b.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Songbird III -c.jpg
    Songbird III -c.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Songbird III.jpg
    Songbird III.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 33
That's cool Larry. I'll get a picture of the poster I have, once I move my truck. It is not that plane but a Skynight 320. I guess they took liberties to use Songbird III on it too.

Hi,

I haven't flown much lately except about 25 glider hours a couple of years ago, but I hold Commercial Single & Multi-engine Land, Instrument, and CFI.

My claim to fame (kinda) is over 1,000 hours (including 700 teaching) and I've never flown a Cessna aircraft.

Ernie

PS If you haven't been to Oshkosh at least once, you need to put it on your bucket list.

As an A&P/IA, over 30 years and still "active in the trade", I have flown dozens and dozens of different aircraft from 1940s models thu the present.  From Cubs thru Citation 500s, and I have observed that all Cessna's have what I call the "Cessna feel" in the air. If you have never flown a Cessna then probably most of your experience has been with low wing aircraft,, not a bad thing just experience limiting.>>>Dan  8)

I have instructed in both Piper and Cessna and have always thought that a student trained in a Cessna ended up being the better pilot.  Kind of hard to get in trouble in a Cherokee,

Jim Johnson said:
Kind of hard to get in trouble in a Cherokee

That's what we said about Cessnas, at least the single engine models :)

Having a fair chunk of teaching time in both Cessnas (140-180, 150 , 152 and up) and the Cherokees (including Warrior and Archer), I have to agree with Jim -- the Cherokee series (including the "new" Warrior and other "long wing" Cherokees) are noticeably more forgiving than the Cessnas (even the tri-gears), partially due to the required rudder usage (read difference in adverse yaw, and more rudder authority in the Cessnas) and partially due to the ground cushion and ground stability from the low wing and wide gear, (of course the older Piper singles, such as the Cub, Pacer, etc., are a different story). To look at them you might think that the Musketeers would be similar, but that laminar flow wing, extra weight and a few other things make them not quite as forgiving, especially at higher altitudes (New Mexico, Colorado, etc.), where performance suffers more than on the Cessna (and more than the "long wing" Cherokees).

The Piper has one disadvantage on the ground -- the solidly linked nose wheel steering, versus the spring loaded nose wheel steering on the Cessna. The problem is most noticeable on crosswind landings, where you'd better get the nosewheel (read rudder) straight (on the Piper) before it touches down, but the Cessna wheel stays straight while the nose is off the ground, then the springs allow you to keep rudder in after it's down.

Note that, on older Cessna singles (mid-70s and before), those 40? barn doors (flaps) allow additional flexibility for the capable pilot, but can get someone in trouble if they're not sharp.

Dan,

One thing I noticed was that the Aztec feels more like a Cessna single than it does like a Cherokee, and the C-310 feels nothing like a Cessna single.

My flying experiences ended in the mid 1970s and was mostly in a 1963 Skyhawk (with those barn door flaps and Johnson bar) so I can't relate to the later models, either Cessna or Piper.

I have flown several "Aztrucks" and never cared for the aircraft, I've owned two 310s(66-70) and loved them to death. My all time favorite (which I owned for ten years & 2250 hrs.)) is the 337, Not particularly as fast as the 310, but roomy, economical  and will haul a load.(also with 40 degrees flap.)>>>Dan

The "Mixmaster" is basically a modified 206 (in many ways), and flies much like one. It's a decent bird. I always liked the way the Aztec handles, but (at least in the mid-60s to early 70s ones) the cockpit layout is clunky. The Baron is actually my favorite light twin (much like a heavier Bonanza), though the Grumman American Cougar is pretty neat (won't haul a lot, with 160 hp/side) and flies wonderfully.

gww7576 said:
8) Retired airline capt, flown lots of general aviation, owned a C-206. My current ride is a land-bound Sprinter (Roadtrek RS Adventurous) which seats six and is certified for IFR, known-ice, has an APU, fridge, microwave & lavatory, and I can actually afford to operate it! Haven't cancelled yet because of weather or maintenance. It is a little slow, however, compared to the Boeings.

And as long as we stay away from airports and DC Homeland Security leaves us alone.  ::)

After years in Piper, Cessna, and Beech light twins I started flying an Aero Commander.

That started a 30 year, 5000 hour love affair with a great airplane. I have flown them all up through the Westwind.

I never got to fly the commanders. They have a sweet wing.
I've flown c-120 on up to the 310, pretty much all the common models. Most of my hours are in the current 310C  Riley Rocket.
Pipers, the taildraggers and tri-pacers and the cherokee line, single and twin comanches, aztec.
Beechcraft bonanzas and barons, and my personal favorite, the Travelair. It had all the nice characteristics of the bonanza and few of the negative traits of the barons.
Got my float rating in a Citabria GCBC.
I did 5 seasons as a banner tow pilot in the Northwest, flying a modified C-175. IT had a 180HP constant speed, western airways leading edge mods, and little else. Most of the interior was on a shelf in the hangar. It would pop off the ground quickly, and towed signs for us as large as 3600 square feet.
We had three hooks on each plane with three releases, so we did not have to land to get another sign.

skyking1, I am amazed at all your experience and time in the air.

How come you are still alive....what's the secret ?

The only private flying experience I have had was from a ladder and broke my leg.  ;D

Carson FL 

I've got a Commercial SMEL SES CFI Inst. Napoleon Michigan where I live is the home of Maule Aircraft till they moved to Ga.  Lots of float & tail wheel time.

I'm not a pilot, just an aviation geek.  My step dad owns a Cessna 182RG and I have about 10 hours so far.  That includes one ugly landing :)

I've got over 400 hrs in various planes on Flight Simulator X.  I know it's not close to the real thing but at least I know what the gauges mean!  I'm really interested in getting my license.  Hopefully it's something I will start in the next two years.

I said no Cessna's; I have quite a bit of time in Citabria's, T-Craft and a couple of other tail draggers and, for bouncy landings, an AA-1 (but I greased the first one).

I'd contend that the 140 is one of the best trainers at least for the south since we had Air Conditioners!!!

Seriously the AC provided a much better environment in mid-summer Dallas and i believe helped the students concentrate (I know it helped the instructors). And all of my students got a couple of hours in a T-craft or equal with real spins. I even had one student who bought an Aero Commander (the high wing twin) before he started his lessons.

Ernie

Ernie

I know a very wealthy woman who has ALL her flight time in a King Air 90,, including training time,, she cannot fly a C150!!>>>Dan

Dan, that reminds me of a 747 captain who purchased a 310J for his son to build time in. I watched this 20,000 hour pilot bring the 310 in to my home field, and start "feeling" for the runway at 60 feet AGL! That was his normal eye height at touchdown. It was scary to watch. He got it down, and I ended up taking it from WA to FL for them. It was not going to be safe for him, he had been too long out of little planes.

Back
Top Bottom