Any pilots or aviation geeks out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you imagine getting that thing too slow at that altitude??.Scary!!>>>Dan ( I was landing a 310J at Tuscon, AZ late one night after a long day of flying, and being half asleep I got it too slow turning base,, felt the left wing drop and woke up immediately!! dumped the nose, rolled right,, applied power,, all automatically,, whew!!>>>Dan

ATP, CFII single and multi, been flying for 30 plus years and 10,000 plus hours.  Currently a corp pilot flying a CE-750 and Beech King Air 350.

Thought I would share Dad learned to fly JN4D jenny 1917 Eddie Stinson was his instructor at San Antonio TX.Yes he was U.S.A. signal corps. Mechanic school  I think Kelly field per a license renew application in 1933? Commerical License # 29993 Mechanic #16132 FAA records before 1930 almost none? Member OX5 club till he passed in 1975. Flew the Hump late 30's got malaria(almost died) lost his sense of smell and had to come back state side. Stayed at Pontiac Mi. airport from 1928 till 1975 Early piper (cub) dealer after the war(II). Flight instructor and Parachute packing at Toledo Ohio 1944/45 War training service. I have been trying to gather enough info. to write a book? I believe he flew mail after WW1 and a good friend of his told me he also rode the wall of death motorcycles also in the late 20's depression era. He got his twin rating in 1937 to fly the hump in that new airplane the C47/46. Dad was 49 and mom 27 yrs old in 1951 I was born in 52. I think he liked the tail draggers best. The Cub was like pushing a baby buggy. Have you ever seen one fly backwards?

I have flown many Cubs, but not backwards,,BUT,,I HAVE flown a 172 BACKWARDS FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES.>>>Dan ( horrible headwind on takeoff)

I flew a C-150 backwards once.  I was performing a solo cross country while working on my license in 1967.  I took off heading into a fairly strong headwind and heading south, climbing to about 8,000 AGL.  I was following the beam into a VOR that was due south of the airport.  Before I had reached 8,000, I passed over the VOR and the indicator changed from "TO" to "FROM" indicating I had passed over the VOR and was now moving away from it.  After a couple minutes, the VOR indicated TO again, indicating I was moving toward the VOR once again.  I looked down and after a minute or two determined that the headwind was higher than my airspeed and the aircraft was actually moving backwards relative to the ground and I was indeed going backwards.  After reducing my altitude to about 4000, I was able to make headway again.  I did indeed make it to my destination which was only about 100 miles away. Winds can be interesting in Oklahoma.

I got my PPL in 1977, one month before graduating high school. I have about 1000 hrs now, mostly in C-150s & 172s. I live on a private airport (2OK) about 6 miles SE of Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City.

My brother built a Van's RV9A, it stays in my hangar. I'm currently building a Rans S19 Venterra. We've been gong to OSH for the past 15 years.

My daughter got her PPL in December 2015. She graduated college 4 years ago with a degree in math & physics. Decided she'd rather fly, than sit behind a desk all day. She's 27 and currently is working toward and airline career. Currently, she's going to "school" at ATP at RVS in Jenks, OK. She's passed her instrument check ride, and the instrument instructor written. She has a ways to go yet, but she is fully immersed, having the time of her life, and eating up every minute of it. I don't think I've ever seen her as happy as she is right now.
As I said, we live on a private strip, and have the 150 & 172 at the house. When she's home, and not flying the school's planes, she flies our airplanes for time building.
I'll keep everyone posted. :D Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of her.

BigLarry said:
I flew a C-150 backwards once.  I was performing a solo cross country while working on my license in 1967.  I took off heading into a fairly strong headwind and heading south, climbing to about 8,000 AGL.  I was following the beam into a VOR that was due south of the airport.  Before I had reached 8,000, I passed over the VOR and the indicator changed from "TO" to "FROM" indicating I had passed over the VOR and was now moving away from it.  After a couple minutes, the VOR indicated TO again, indicating I was moving toward the VOR once again.  I looked down and after a minute or two determined that the headwind was higher than my airspeed and the aircraft was actually moving backwards relative to the ground and I was indeed going backwards.  After reducing my altitude to about 4000, I was able to make headway again.  I did indeed make it to my destination which was only about 100 miles away. Winds can be interesting in Oklahoma.
    Some fella told me the only time you notice the wind in Oklahoma was when it stopped.

BigLarry said:

I tried that several times in an Aeronca Champ and various 2 seater Cessnas.  Came close to zero ground speed but never quite there....  Once was in a cessna 150 or 152 at FFA ....First Flight Airport in Kill Devil Hills, NC 
Probably my shortest landing of all time, about like a small gyro landing  8)

I?m just a rural farm boy from Maine. When my dad got out of the Army after WWII he decided to get a private pilot license and do some flying. So I saw just about all of ME & NH from the air, including the great forest fire of 1947.

I injured my right hand when I was 13 and it prevented me from becoming a pilot. But, it did not prevent me from joining the USN. At my boot camp interview I requested aviation duty. Because my entry scores were higher than average I didn?t go to the Navy aviation school at Norman, OK. I went straight to my first duty station, Air Barrier Service Squadron 2 at Naval Air Station Barbers Point, Oahu, TH.

From there I spent 31 years on active duty as a Naval Aviation Aircraft Structural Mechanic. After that I worked for Eastern Airlines as their ramp manager at JAX, FL. When they went under I did 10 years as a journeyman Aviation Maintenance Mechanic for Naval Aviation Depot, Jacksonville, FL

I?ve been all around the world, flown off aircraft carriers in fixed wing aircraft and helos. I can tell sea stories about pilots all day. Like a hot shot 21 year old  JG (NAVCAD)  always giving the finger salute on every cat shot off the USS Independence. He was never bested in a F4 dog fight.   

Retired, Single engine, multi, instrument, commercial. Flew aircharter for a while, always piston, sometimes in a Seneca, mostly in my most favorite which was my P 210. Landed in 44 states with that baby. My wife and I saw most of the US in it and I flew that charter in it.

Great memories, but another period in my life that has now passed. New item on the bucket list is the RV.

Ed

William52 said:
    Some fella told me the only time you notice the wind in Oklahoma was when it stopped.

Yup!

It's that way just north of there in Kansas.
Wind stops, everyone starts looking at the sky, scanning the horizon to see what is coming.

My formal education was as an avionics technician, but my career moved into telecommunications over the years.

Private single engine land last flight the Hudson River Corridor one week before 9/11 cost got out of control but I sure do miss it! Favorite grass strip Basin Harbor VT.

Ah...the Hudson Corridor ! Used to do it weekly, running down from Providence to my customer in NJ. Landing at Linden was always a gas ( no pun intended). I would file for Westchester and cancel when I had the field in sight. Continue to the Hudson, bang a left and go down towards the "Lady". Would be passing the Lady at 490 ft, due to the floor of the Newark airspace. It was always special going down there. I have some pics in my office of the twin towers, prior to 9/11. When passing them I would be below the level of the buildings, so taking a pic of them would encompass the bottom of my wing also. Great memories ! Did that trip weekly for quite a few years. No matter how much I did it, when I came across Staten Island into NJ, it would bring me w/i sight of Linden; if you could find it in the midst of all those fuel storage tanks !

9/11 deprived pilots in the Northeast of some of the handiest, most interesting and scenic VFR routes: The Hudson corridor and the two flyways through the BWI-DCA-AID airspace.
Flying out of HGR, the eastern BWI-DCA flyway was our escape route to the shore, and the western DCA-IAD flyway was our college taxi route to and from JGG.
Back then, P-40 over Camp David was a reasonable size, too.

Back
Top Bottom