any places you like to avoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any place with heavy traffic, rush hour or otherwise. So what an I doing in southern California ?

Wendy

Daisy said:
As the passenger, there are several I dread...

Hartford, CT

NY City  (we do I 83/4? instead)

Chicago

Houston

Dallas

and Salt Lake City bothers Fred

Daisy

Good list. I would add to Chicago the Borman Expy in Northern Indiana.

My other avoid if possible is most of the Los Angeles area.

ken

I drove thru Salt Lake City, heading north, in Feb.We caught the morning traffic.I was going the speed limit, and my passemger said I got flipped off, 6 times.I guess those Mormons aren't as law abiding as seems.

Bigdave 2 said:
  I drove thru Salt Lake City, heading north, in Feb.We caught the morning traffic.I was going the speed limit, and my passemger said I got flipped off, 6 times.I guess those Mormons aren't as law abiding as seems.
Flippin' one off is not against the law the last time I checked.  And, not everyone in Salt Lake City is Mormon - after all, you were there.  But, that doesn't mean Mormons can't be in a hurry and be miffed by a "slow poke" on "their" highway even if you were doing the speed limit. :)  Then again, what lane were you in for your passenger to see it, but not you?  Sometimes it's not the speed but the consideration.

Wow.... I'm not comfortable even reading posts that mention religion on the forum, won't respond on a thread that mentions one or the other.....

jje1960 said:
Wow.... I'm not comfortable even reading posts that mention religion on the forum, won't respond on a thread that mentions one or the other.....

You just did.

pricejh said:
Try Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg...Christmas time in Gatlinburg is very interesting, very interesting.

Been there done that.  ;D Years back we were spending a week in Gatlinburg, actually an Outdoor Resorts campground a little ways out of town on 392. Here's the kicker..... towing a 32' 5'er we actually drove all the way thru Gatlinburg, missing our turn (intersection 3 I think). Had to take a 'bypass' that winded it's way thru the woods back to Pigeon Forge to start all over again. As we are coming back into town, intersection 1 I believe, had a sign that said "Dudley Creek Bypass to Hwy 392" or something on that line. So I turned left thinking a bypass meant bypassing the worst part of the traffic. WRONG! Dudley Creek bypass goes straight up hill (don't know the grade, but steep enough that the mapbook slid off the dash of the truck) what seemed like just under a 1/2 mile, makes a 90 degree turn and then the same grade down, stopping still at a angle at the multi-lane Hwy 392. The old 454 mustered 5mph up screaming all the way, and the brakes smoking all the way down. Trailer brakes maxed out, standing on the truck brakes, while in low gear I stopped in lane 2 of what I remember was 4 lanes I think. Thank god there was no traffic. I remember half way up the wife saying "turn around'....and I remember saying that there was no way I was taking my foot off the gas pedal! I do remember there was a small group of guys standing next to an RV at the campground at the intersection. I waved, but they never waved back....they had this really weird 'seen a ghost' look to them.

Then there was Hwy 41 thru Houghton/Hancock in Michigan's Keweenaw Pennisula. As soon as you cross the bridge 41 turns left to do a switchback to get up the hill. With a little construction going on on the bridge, I didn't go left I went straight. Oops! I estimate the grade at 15-20%, thru a residential area, stopping at the top where Hwy 41 meets us again. This time I had a '99 powerstroke dually and the current 36', 14k 5'er in tow. No way to turn around, no side streets, and the old Ford screaming for mercy. Once I got to the top, If I let off the brake to go forward the truck quickly would roll backward! I had to press the brake, and the go pedal at the same time, releasing the brake and mashing the pedal when a gap in traffic presented itself.  :eek:

Both roads are on my unofficial do not drive list.....

Then there was the trip last month from Michigan to the Fla. keys... driving thru Ann Arbor, Dayton, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Miami (not terrible, just A LOT of traffic, seem to hit everyone at peak travel times). If I would have used a map instead of the GPS I wouldn't have gone thru Miami...during a massive rainstorm, in heavy construction, at rush hour! (not really downtown Miami, but did go by the Airport). Also, it's not advisable to drive a quad cab dually down Duval street in Key West at lunch time. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. Doable, just not advisable.    ;)

Been thru Chicago, must have been lucky as there was no problems. Must have been one of the few perfect times.

The entire Ohio turnpike, my motorhome bounced  until I thought the cabinets would start falling off the wall.  I slow to 40 MPH and run with my 4 way flashers on and grinding my teeth thinking of the $30 that I?m paying for the experience. 

Route 88 between Tortilla Flat, Arizona and Theodore Roosevelt Dam, Arizona.  Marked in the Michelin Road Atlas as a "Michelin Scenic Drive".

I consider myself adventurous with my 32' Class A and Geo Tracker toad.  I've driven Route 1/101 from LA to Cape Lookout SP in north-west Oregon.  I've ended up in downtown Boston after a misadventure in trying to get to Fenway Park.  I've driven 15+ miles at 50 MPH on roads under construction where there are only inches to spare between the ditch and the big barrel style pylons (and only hit one).  I've ended up on memorable roads in Prince Edward Island and San Francisco  I've camped in wild areas where reactions have been disbelief that I would venture out on the roads necessary for access.  Route 88 is the only road that completely defeated me.  About a mile after starting out at the Dam end I was desperately looking for any spot where I could turn around and get off of the narrow gravel road carved into the steep hillside.  There was no speed at which I could travel that didn't feel like the washboard road was going to shake the whole unit to pieces.

I did manage to get turned around and take an approximately 90 mile detour to get to Lost Dutchman S.P. at about 9 PM.  All-in-all a very tiring day.

Boston.

I am new to the motor home thing, but have been to nearly all lower 48 states pulling a 53' car trailer in an out of all the major metro areas and getting around Boston was the biggest PITA.

Ahhh yes, Boston.

Home of pedestrians who wander out into traffic anywhere, anytime.  I ended up on the Freedom Trail driving alongside Boston Common after having to divert from my intended route because of a low clearance issue.  After a relatively hard braking incident found myself looking almost straight down out the front windshield of my Class A at a jaywalking young lady.  Hope I scared her as much as she scared me  :eek:

I rode my 68 shovelhead to Tortilla Flat in 2002.The locals advised against going any further.I headed back to camp at the Gold mine.A caretaker at the CG said at
Least one crotch rocket a week gets scraped off'n the desert from taking the corners to fast.It was hairy on my Hog.

pixurit said:
Route 88 between Tortilla Flat, Arizona and Theodore Roosevelt Dam, Arizona.  Marked in the Michelin Road Atlas as a "Michelin Scenic Drive".

I consider myself adventurous with my 32' Class A and Geo Tracker toad.  I've driven Route 1/101 from LA to Cape Lookout SP in north-west Oregon.  I've ended up in downtown Boston after a misadventure in trying to get to Fenway Park.  I've driven 15+ miles at 50 MPH on roads under construction where there are only inches to spare between the ditch and the big barrel style pylons (and only hit one).  I've ended up on memorable roads in Prince Edward Island and San Francisco  I've camped in wild areas where reactions have been disbelief that I would venture out on the roads necessary for access.  Route 88 is the only road that completely defeated me.  About a mile after starting out at the Dam end I was desperately looking for any spot where I could turn around and get off of the narrow gravel road carved into the steep hillside.  There was no speed at which I could travel that didn't feel like the washboard road was going to shake the whole unit to pieces.

I did manage to get turned around and take an approximately 90 mile detour to get to Lost Dutchman S.P. at about 9 PM.  All-in-all a very tiring day.

The Alaska Highway, most of it, is not RV-friendly. It's a very scenic route, but like a washboard due to frost heaves and other damage caused by the hard winters. Even though I drove very slow and careful, the vibrations caused $3,700 worth of damage to a slide and the left wall that separated. The Coachmen was never the same after that trip and we just recently traded it in.

I don't know if I would drive a "new" MH up the Alaska Highway, but everyone should take that trip at least once in their life time.

Molaker said:
Flippin' one off is not against the law the last time I checked.  And, not everyone in Salt Lake City is Mormon - after all, you were there.  But, that doesn't mean Mormons can't be in a hurry and be miffed by a "slow poke" on "their" highway even if you were doing the speed limit. :)  Then again, what lane were you in for your passenger to see it, but not you?  Sometimes it's not the speed but the consideration.
  I always try and stay in a middle lane, so's to hopefully, avoid lanes that lead me off'n the route I want.I am too busy watching all the speeders to look who is flippimg me the bone, but I always stay within the posted limits.
  About 7 years ago, I was passing thru SLC and spent the night in a motel.I was driving a cherry 1990 Coupe Deville of my mothers.I was looking for a truck stop in order to buy a coffee cup.I got pulled over because ofq dirty license plates.i don't get pulled over very much because I follow the laws.I thought that was a pretty lame
reason to pull an out of towner over to add to the county coffers.The plates just had some dust on them.Seems like they can pull probable cause out of numerous orifices, when needed.I spend as little as possible
in states like that.

Any road near the Gulfcoast with a Hurricane headed in. Took us 37hrs to get out of Houston, during the Katrina scare.

Back
Top Bottom