Anyone at Organ Pipe lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard it was the youngsters that named the town Why.
All the old folks wanted to call it "Because I Said So, That's Why"
They wanted to name it "Y" after the intersection in the middle of town where AZ 86 and AZ 85 meet. But the post office wouldn't accept a single letter town name, so they named it Why instead.

But the post office wouldn't accept a single letter town name, so they named it Why instead.
I heard it was an AZ state law that all city names must have at least three letters.

Let me check . . .

Yep. " At the time of its naming, state law required all city names to have at least three letters, so the town's founders named the town "Why" as opposed to simply calling it "Y."

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA

They wanted to name it "Y" after the intersection in the middle of town where AZ 86 and AZ 85 meet. But the post office wouldn't accept a single letter town name, so they named it Why instead.
I heard it was an AZ state law that all city names must have at least three letters.

Let me check . . .

Yep. " At the time of its naming, state law required all city names to have at least three letters, so the town's founders named the town "Why" as opposed to simply calling it "Y."

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
So Lou is correct. The post office/state wouldn't accept a single-letter name for a town.

Come on Don, you are old enough to remember the days before zip codes! The town was named in those older of days.
I don't recall if I ever mailed out a letter when I was 14 years old or younger.

The five-digit zip started in 1963, the ten digit 20 years later in 1983.

Now there are 42,000 different zip codes in use.

But yeah, I can see why the post office would require a few letters for a city name B4 zip codes were in use.

-Don- 95602

CBP says more than 80,000 crossed into the Tucson sector in December, mostly at Lukeville.
That's a pretty good chunk of the 302,000 total for December.
At least along the roadways, the monument is trashed.

Did you see it, or is that what you heard?
Saw some of it in pictures, read about it in reports, so could be all fake news and stock photos I suppose.
I don't have any plans to go down that way just yet, but it's on the bucket list. I'm sure someone staying at the campground and/or crossing the border after it reopens will chime in soon though.

Saw some of it in pictures, read about it in reports, so could be all fake news and stock photos I suppose.
I don't have any plans to go down that way just yet, but it's on the bucket list. I'm sure someone staying at the campground and/or crossing the border after it reopens will chime in soon though.
According to Tulecreeper‘s link, the roads are not being trashed, just the border wall area. That is definitely not good, but remember Trump had that wall put in where they drove bulldozers over protected species with no environmental concerns. The wall has restricted the access of endangered animals more than it has humans. I prefer getting information from local sources, not guesses by guys 1000 miles away.

Back
Top Bottom