Apollo Microwave/Convection/Halftime Ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potterhall

Has anyone had problems with their Apollo ovens in the Winnebago Class C's and if so, did you replace them?  If so, what did you find to replace them with? 
  I bought a Winnebago 2007 Outlook Class C brand new in August 07 and have never had the oven work since I purchased the RV.  By that I mean, the microwave, or oven, either one.  I won't tell the entire 2 year story of attempts to get this oven replaced or repaired but it has been a nightmare.  After one year of attempts to repair (haha), Midwest (supplier) sent a new oven (in pieces) to replace the existing one.  Within 2 weeks it too failed to work.  After another series of calls, pleas, denials (we gave you a new oven) (but itdoesn't work) they then said, .......oops, the warranty period has expired, not our problem!
  Anyway, I have a coach I can't sell without a working oven, can't trade and get full value for, can't use the oven in, etc. ------has anyone else resolved problems with the Apollo oven or replaced it with something that fits the Outlook?

Hi and welcome!  Gosh - real sorry you are having such a time with your oven.  I'm not familiar with Apollo ovens.  Stand by and let's see what kind of responses you get.

Please take a minute or two and say hi to the entire forum in the 'Introduce yourself' board.

We've got one in our MH as well.  Works about half time...thus the name.  At first, Apollo reps were friendly and helpful, then later they were pretty hateful, so we don't call anymore.  Have replaced ours once already, and it, too, quit within a few days.  Next time, will replace it with another brand and modify the opening--yeah, the Apollo is an odd size and no other oven will fit.  Seems like the main problem is the wiring harness.  Found that pounding on the oven, seriously, will sometimes induce it to work.  Good luck.

Yes, the Apollo people were less than friendly when spoken to by the dealer/service shop I have been working through.  I spoke to Winnebago Customer Service again yesterday and SURPRISE!  they aren't using these ovens in the new Outlooks anymore!  When I asked why, I wasn't given an answer.  (I can guess why)  Midwest, supplier of Apollo, has told me if I will take out the oven myself and ship it back to them, they will see if it can be repaired, repair it, and send it back to me and I can get it reinstalled here.  My cost.  I tried 3 different small appliance repair places here locally but no one would even look at it, as they all stated they were afraid they couldn't get parts, none had heard of Apollo.  I will have to take it out and send for repair, I guess.
  But what would you replace it with?  Would you have to have cabinets torn out?  Not sure in my configuation if I could do that?  Why should I have to?  So disappointed in Winnebago.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the opening for an Apollo is larger than for most microwave/convection combos.  Consequently, all one would be required to do is fill in sides and top, or at least that's how mine measures.  I'm probably going to just set one in the opening and not worry about the sides and top, as long as the replacement is secure from all the bouncing, etc. from traveling.

Potterhall said:
Midwest, supplier of Apollo, has told me if I will take out the oven myself and ship it back to them, they will see if it can be repaired, repair it, and send it back to me and I can get it reinstalled here.  My cost.
If I'm not mistaken, the deal offered was Winnebago will cover the labor of removal and installation of the oven and the owner will only need to pay for shipping; Midwest will repair the oven free of charge.  The warranty expired Aug of 2008, so this sounds like a nice dose of goodwill from Winnie and Midwest.

If I have the facts wrong, please correct me.

You are correct that Winnebago has now offerred to pay for the reinstallation of the oven.  It is my understanding that I have to take the oven out myself and was given instructions on just how to do this by Midwest when I spoke to them.  I will do this.  At this point I am glad to get this done but still feel that I will end up with another oven that will not work for long.  As I stated originally, this is actually a long story.  The original warranty on the first oven did expire in 8/08; however at that time we were still in the process of trying to get the oven replaced as nothing was working.  Midwest agreed to replace it and did so but did not send an entire intact oven, rather sent a series of parts to be assembled.  This oven worked for a brief time and then quit again.  Should not the second, supposedly new oven, also have a warrently on it?  But apparently not, according to them.
  At this point, I am willing to take what I can get to have a working oven to allow me to dispose of the coach or see if it will correct the problems.  After reading all the problems people have had with this brand of oven on the various internet sites, I guess I am just disappointed with the quality of product in my Winnebago.

Potterhall said:
It is my understanding that I have to take the oven out myself and was given instructions on just how to do this by Midwest when I spoke to them.
What I heard was Winnebago will pay for your dealer to remove and reinstall the oven.  I think your only responsibility is getting your RV to the dealer and pay for shipping.

We have the Apollo oven in our Jayco B+, and have had the oven replaced 5 times within the last year of the warranty.  Now that the warranty is over, the 5th oven has stopped working as well.  Any suggestions as to other brands that are more reliable?

Howdy and a big welcome to rvforum!  Take a minute or two and say hi to the forum at-large in the Introduce yourself board.

We have the GE Advantium microwave/oven (it uses halogen lights for the oven) which was a pricey option on our Horizon.  Jane loves it and we would like to get one for the stick house.  The Advantium has been in service for five years without a hiccup.

We like our Sharp microwave convection so well that we also got one for the stick house.

ArdraF

We have a 2007 Winnabago Outlook (we bought used) with the same Apollo oven set up.  Ours to quit working after a few months of use.  My husband finally got through to a tech type at Apollo and found out the following.  The connection between the oven and the control panel above is faulty.  It disconnects with movement which of course is every time you drive the RV.  In our case, my husband reaches through the front grill of the oven with a wire and pushes the two parts together.  This has worked several times and may need to be taken apart for a more permanent fix.  At least now we can use microwave/oven.  Maybe this will help..........hope so.    :D

Eleanor

Hi Eleanor and welcome!

That's a good tip but it begs the question of why couldn't Apollo design the electrics to where they wouldn't separate, or if this is a limited problem (most of their ovens are not in RVs), couldn't have a field mod to keep the connections together.

Thanks for joining in  :D

It does beg the question but if most of their ovens aren't made for RV's, they obviously didn't account for the amount of movement and vibration in a RV.  I've been on a few roads that seemed to shake my teeth loose so what chance does a poor 1/2 time oven have.  :-\  Anyway pushing that plug back together is easier and cheaper than replacing the oven unit.

Eleanor 

Back
Top Bottom