Are my birdhouse holes too small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi,

I have had this birdhouse up since fall of last year with no birds in it yet.  I assume its because they arleady had a place to nest by that time.  So i had high hopes for this spring.  So far i have had all kinds of birds making nests all over the place, in my fiver hitch area, and under my RV but nothing in the birdhouse yet. 

Is it too big inside (the rooms are full height of structure)?
Can they leap from the inside onto the hole to get out (maybe i need a ledge or ramp inside)?
Are my holes too small (i dont care what kind of bird, just something)?
Should i turn it around facing the other way (maybe me walking past it all the time is scaring them away)?

Why dont they like it, or is it still too early to tell?

OOPS forgot the pics...

Attachments

• SANY0001 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0001 (Small).jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 83
  • SANY0002 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0002 (Small).jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 71
Hole opening size is directly proportioned to the size of the birds in your area.

That box is way too close to the ground. Should be at least six feet above ground. What kind of birds are you looking to attract? The design of the house and the size of the hole are dependent on the size of the hole.
Search the net for "(name species of bird) house."
Also get rid of the cute chevron shaped cutouts. Birds don't care for cute.
Also, birds nest at certain times of the year. You need to have your boxes up well in advance of their nesting season.

When it comes to birds,beggars can be choosers.  They can be very picky about size,shape and design.  And the hole size.  Some need a perch,some won't want them. 

Do you have feeders?  What are you attracting?  Shallow water source?  Some cover,bushes or trees?

Also,real cotton balls,threads or yarn(can also be wool) may be used for nests.  No polyester though.

Good luck!

Don't forget orientation of the bird house - I'm a late riser and if my front door was faced to the morning sun I'd find another rental. I suppose I also would not get the worm... 8)

Thanks everyone

Yes i have a bird bath within 5 feet of the birdhouse.  But i dont have a feeder, reason being its summer time and they are suppose to be eating bugs not expensive free food, and we have lots of stuff for them to eat that are natural.  During the winter time i might put up a feeder but i dont think i need to in the summer.

Plus if i put a feeder in and start getting a flock of birds hanging around, the snakes will notice and then they will come for a visit as well.  I have never seen a snake anywhere around here and i dont want to start.  I faced the birdhouse away from the fence because i thought maybe a snake could crawl up the fence and then into the holes.

I will make some adjustments ( i have a pipe extension i can add to the satallite post) and some other stuff and look up the birds im after and try to find a sample of a house

Thanks so much :)

Also putting your birdhouse near cover for them -- trees, bushes, etc. 

Bird house size, location, opening size all depends on the birds in your area and of those which species you want to nest.
I live in Illinois and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) publishes booklets on various birds and housing.
This one is for Bluebirds.
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/education/Documents/BLUEBIRD.pdf

Check with your local natural resources office, or search the web for the species.

Thanks, they appear to be junco's    It says they tend to next on the ground which might explain it but they are nesting in my 5ver hitch area and under the RV which is strange.

I guess under the RV is OK, they can eat spiders and ants under there so i dont have to spray.  :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom