Are there non carbon based life forms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Ok, playing around with online AI this evening and tried to ask "it" some tough questions. I entered the question in the topic of this post above and it shot back its response below. Kinda' creepy. If you're bored sometime, check it out and let us know what kind of profundity you come up with:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

While life on Earth is mostly based on carbon, there is no fundamental reason why life cannot be based on other elements or molecules. The basic requirements for life are a source of energy, a source of raw materials, and the ability to maintain and replicate complex structures. These requirements could be met using a wide variety of chemical and physical processes, and there are many theoretical possibilities for non-carbon-based life.

For example, silicon is chemically similar to carbon and can form many of the same types of bonds, so it is often suggested as a possible alternative. Other possibilities include life based on nitrogen, phosphorus, or even exotic elements like arsenic or boron.

However, it is important to note that all known life on Earth is based on carbon, and our understanding of biology is limited by this fact. We may not be able to recognize or understand non-carbon-based life even if it exists. Furthermore, the conditions for life as we know it may be rare or unique to our planet, so it is unclear whether non-carbon-based life would be more or less likely to arise elsewhere in the universe.

Had to ask the same app "are rv owners crazy" :):rolleyes:

No, RV owners are not necessarily crazy. RVs, or recreational vehicles, are a popular mode of transportation and accommodation for people who enjoy traveling and exploring new places. RVs can provide a convenient and cost-effective way to see the country or travel to different destinations without having to worry about lodging and other travel expenses.

Like any hobby or lifestyle choice, RV ownership can attract a variety of people with different interests and backgrounds. Some RV owners may enjoy the freedom and flexibility that RV travel provides, while others may appreciate the opportunity to connect with nature and experience the great outdoors.

While there may be some stereotypes or misconceptions about RV owners, it is important to remember that they are individuals with their own unique personalities and interests. The decision to own an RV is a personal one, and it does not necessarily indicate anything about a person's mental health or sanity.

Of course there's non carbon life forms on earth, they're on every continent and tend to dwell in big buildings but the forum rules correctly forbid me to identify them😂😂

Scientists havent found any but claim that because carbon and silicone have similar characteristics its is possible... :unsure:

Scientists havent found any but claim that because carbon and silicone have similar characteristics its is possible... :unsure:
It's a great basic concept, but the creatures would have to exhale "silicon dioxide" which is quartz! You sure would need super strength for those sneezes! LOL

Silicon-based life forms are theoretically possible. It's just that carbon is much more abundant in the observable universe.

Honestly, I’m waiting for AI to be useful.

Until then it’s just another tool that relies on the information it’s fed.

AI will always be limited by the data available to it. Just as humans are...
AI is in the stage now where it is capable of thinking, just as Turing predicted. In an interview on (I think) NBC Nightly News last week two Silicon Valley guys predicted we're on the precipice of something we're unprepared to rein in. They even went so far as the possibility the stage of AI we're venturing into could lead to human extinction. As it is, there are predictions that in as little as two years AI will be able to write an original essay, thesis, poem or song which even an expert won't be able to distinguish from the same written by a human. Turing posed, in the "imitation game" if you're not in the room and you can't distinguish machine intelligence from human intelligence, what makes one human and the other not? Isn't thinking in the human brain just a process where neurons communicate by means of electrical impulses?

I don't expect to see an AI that can "think" in the human sense in my lifetime. Designing an AI that has the degree of cognitive reasoning that the 86+ billion neurons in the human brain supply would require far more computing power and memory capacity than is likely to exist for many more years. AI can certainly simulate some human brain functioning, but it will be a long time before AI can natively duplicate that level of function, much less surpass it. The degree and variety of multi-tasking the human brain is constantly controlling alone will be very difficult to duplicate artificially.

I don't expect to see an AI that can "think" in the human sense in my lifetime. Designing an AI that has the degree of cognitive reasoning that the 86+ billion neurons in the human brain supply would require far more computing power and memory capacity than is likely to exist for many more years. AI can certainly simulate some human brain functioning, but it will be a long time before AI can natively duplicate that level of function, much less surpass it. The degree and variety of multi-tasking the human brain is constantly controlling alone will be very difficult to duplicate artificially.

I tend to agree. There's a lot of fear about AI. Maybe some of it's founded. And maybe some of it isn't. If we somehow create a new form of life which is sentient and autonomous, well, I guess we'll have to accept the re-writing of everything we know. AI isn't there yet.

The movie 2001: A Space Odyssey came out in 1968...55 years ago. AI hasn't taken over yet...

Yep! And look at Y2K. It was...a lot of things...depending on who you asked about it. Some people were literally preparing for the end of the world, total collapse of civilized society. I fell asleep at 21:30 Pacific time, and many parts of the world had already clocked into the new millennium without issue. I think history repeats itself and we're Y2K'ing AI.

I don't expect to see an AI that can "think" in the human sense in my lifetime.
Perhaps, but I think one has to look further down the road than any person living today.
Designing an AI that has the degree of cognitive reasoning that the 86+ billion neurons in the human brain supply would require far more computing power and memory capacity than is likely to exist for many more years. .
Again, "many more years". What's a few hundred years or more in the greater scheme of things. 86+ billion? Heck, they might well have storage media the size of your thumbnail by then. Computing processing power will continue to expand dramatically. People's brains not so much.
AI can certainly simulate some human brain functioning, but it will be a long time before AI can natively duplicate that level of function, much less surpass it.
See above.
The degree and variety of multi-tasking the human brain is constantly controlling alone will be very difficult to duplicate artificially.
Today yes, In the future, might be almost trivial.

Just as there are technological advances in computers, science, and transportation today that people with the wildest imaginations a few hundred years ago couldn't even conceive of, it's virtually impossible to predict where we'll be many years from now.

Speaking for myself, I'm not all that optimistic.

Yep! And look at Y2K. It was...a lot of things...depending on who you asked about it. Some people were literally preparing for the end of the world, total collapse of civilized society. I fell asleep at 21:30 Pacific time, and many parts of the world had already clocked into the new millennium without issue. I think history repeats itself and we're Y2K'ing AI.
Y2K disasters didn't happen in large part due to the hard work and long hours that many of us in the IT world put in to minimize potential issues in advance.

Back
Top Bottom