Artificial Intelligence: What's your level of concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the people I've known, including my father, who say that or similar don't have any higher education and it makes them feel less inferior by putting down others who are more educated.
This is a favorite, insulting and flawed talking point without any facts to back it up. Actually it can be disproved too. When you need your ac diagnosed and fixed, your leaking toliet or plugged up one repaired, as an example, do you ask to see higher education degree diploma before allowing them anywhere near your equipment? For sure there is nothing wrong with asking for certification. But people rarely ask out of the box about their education credentials.

Of course when you go to the grocery store for all those organic veggies thats been picked, we read all the time that lower paid and less educated folks are promoted and needed in just about every speech by folks with some of the most expensive diplomas too.

[warning ,may be potentially a controversial comment]
And with Memorial Day coming up, the folks thats stepped up , answered the call and trained to defend this nation and sent to potentially die by a bunch of big diploma folks unwilling to do the job and never ask those folks about their diploma type shows just how detached the comment is insulting.:(

These people actually provide for the folks with big dollar diplomas to live in their many thousand square foot homes that surpasses the average income folks and will never give them up in comfort each and every day. Perceived education credentials do not make people superior and more credible and well rounded to make the world a better place to other ones without them.

spoken by someone that provided for a family and raised pretty successful kids for the future that never found the need to paint themselves up with tattoos , nose rings and ear lobe loops that lived in spare bedrooms after going into debt with useless self help degrees.(y)

Last edited:
I was a junior in college in 1973 when we were first allowed to use calculators in class. Now I'm dependent on calculators. My ability to spell is declining because the computer will fix it. People using voice recognition are losing their typing skills. When self driving cars become reliable we will lose the ability to drive. The biggest danger of AI is when people lose their ability to think.

And with Memorial Day coming up, the folks thats stepped up , answered the call and trained to defend this nation and sent to potentially die by a bunch of big diploma folks unwilling to do the job and never ask those folks about their diploma type shows just how detached the comment is insulting.
I don’t know about the other branches but folks in the Air Force cannot get promoted to E5 or above without an associate degree in their AFSC. If I remember correctly those competing for E8 and E9 must have earned a bachelor degree. The AF even has its own regionally accredited college; Community College of the Air Force.

My kids turned off their Alexa when they realized anything they talked about buying started showing up in webpage ads. In December my wife's existing Instagram account demanded she supply a video of herself speaking a prepared speech. I realized it could be used to create a deep fake and she quit Instagram.
I turned off my Google Assistant a couple years ago when it started talking to me when I hadn't activated it.

Me (to wife): "Do you remember how far it was from here to Ted's house in XXX City?"
Google Asst (phone laying on table): "It is 212 miles from XXX to XXX City."

I was a junior in college in 1973 when we were first allowed to use calculators in class. Now I'm dependent on calculators. My ability to spell is declining because the computer will fix it. People using voice recognition are losing their typing skills. When self driving cars become reliable we will lose the ability to drive. The biggest danger of AI is when people lose their ability to think.

I've also lost the ability to drive a horse drawn plow.

Much/most invention frees humans from labor. Freed from labor humans have more leisure time or more time for other productive endeavors. Unfortunately most humans are filling their time with the xBox or the internet.

My personal opinion is that A"I" simply does not exist. It goes back to the beginning. Computers are not smart - they are just fast. Also GIGO. Program garbage in and garbage comes out.

I have said for years, "The only sustainable competitive edge is invention." That is, "To imagine is the first part of creating."

Advanced computers may put connections together faster than humans, they may end up piloting cars and planes much better than humans can. They may even runaway and try to destroy humans in some dystopian, misinterpretation of their code.

But when you reduce "everything" we do to it's fundamental equation, we humans are the only thing on the planet searching for the answer to the question, "What's it all about?"

Computers are not burdened by the question of "why?" They are 100% certain of their answer.

When a computer can be trained to recognize "doubt" then it will be interesting to pit 2 computers against each other to debate outcomes.

Then we definitely won't have to worry because all the supercomputers will be too busy arguing on Reddit to endanger us - LOL...

I think we all need to re-read 1984... the futuristic dystopian novel written by George Orwell in 1949...
I think AI like many human advances has great potential for good as well as potential for catastrophe. dynamite, nuclear, weaponized diseases, politicians, HOA's... the last two are less intelligent but dangerously self important. we'll survive but like someone said earlier, when life gets too easy we get soft... “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” you can substitute person for man but I wanted to quote it accurately. Regards Steven

AI is no match for natural stupidity.

Yeah. Why isn't someone working on artificial stupidity so I'll have someone to talk to.

My kids turned off their Alexa when they realized anything they talked about buying started showing up in webpage ads. In December my wife's existing Instagram account demanded she supply a video of herself speaking a prepared speech. I realized it could be used to create a deep fake and she quit Instagram.

I had to call Verizon yesterday. There was a big push prior getting a human to "record my voice print" for future account security purposes.

Ahh, yah... right...

The biggest danger is when people no longer want to think, or dont think they should!

Behind every great AI there is a human developer punching computer code. AI is only as smart as the developer programing it. And developers are human, not machines.

Go camping! Go off grid, shut down your computer, turn off your cell phone, and use nothing but cash. And oh, quit your job and don't take government assistance either, and you'll do just fine! AI will leave you alone then.

Just remember what that "A" stands for... it stands for "artificial" don't forget that. "Artificial" mans "counterfeit", not real, a replica of the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom