AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For all of you that stream and cut the cords I gather you don't watch college or NFL football??

I was just at my friends farm in Sover Mo doing a little deer hunting. He recently got fiber to his house with 1Gb service. Lightning fast performance. And he lives 15 miles down a dirt road. No neighbors for about a mile around. Google is behind some of these rural "Google Cities".

As far as speed and choke points, this is why Dish is spending hundreds of millions to by high frequency spectrum at government auctions.

With the advent of 4K video, the need for enormous improvements in bandwidth and speed are necessary. To download an uncompressed 4K movie requires 160Gig....!

Within the next few years or sooner we will witness truly spectacular cellular performance....

Stay tuned!

All NFL games can be streamed either with KODI or http://www.nfl.com/watch-nfl-live

At this point in time, there is virtually nothing you can't get streaming. Including movies that haven't even been released in theaters yet!

rbertalotto said:
I work in this industry. ALL the satellite companies want to get out of satellites and dishes. Dish networks is the largest proponent of this. Charlie Erker, who owns Dish, suggests that the next generation of users will not pay $200 a month for TV content. He is buying up high frequency broadband as he figures all content will come from cell towers in the future. Satellites are simply way to costly and satellite dishes have Issues with line of sight. Once it all goes terrestrial there will be no need for "bucket Trucks"  and technicians hanging dishes and realigning after storms etc.. it is estimated the next generation of users will only pay $35 a month for all communication needs. Dish is already experimenting with their new SLING broadband video distribution network at $20 a month.No question, the age of satellite dishes and set top boxes is coming to a rapid end.

Dish has had Sling for  very long time and it still has not caught on. It has been a major disappointment for them. We won't see Satellite TV go away for a long time. There are still too many issues with coverage, speed and other costs to covert broadcasting over to wireless, despite the issues with using a dish. How many times has your phone call dropped out. Imagine watching your favorite show or football game and loosing the signal. Yes it happens now under certain weather conditions, but that is rare. So don't through away your dish just yet. Right now it's mostly talk and talk is cheap. DirecTV will launch DirecTV Now this month. Then we'll have a small inkling of how acceptable it will be and what there is to offer. Your not going to get 150 channels over your smartphone. So far, many broadcasters are not jumping on the DirecTV Now bandwagon. Chuck 

Re Dish and Direct TV getting rid of Satellite.

And then there is Elon Musk (think Tesla cars & Space X) putting a bunch of satellites up for broadband internet world wide. 

AT&T may not need to worry about satellite TV, they may need to worry about all the land based internet they own going away.

Maybe Dish and Direct RV will go away someday, but they could be replaced by satellite broadband internet streaming the TV.

Things change. 

chuckbear said:
Dish has had Sling for  very long time and it still has not caught on. It has been a major disappointment for them. We won't see Satellite TV go away for a long time. There are still too many issues with coverage, speed and other costs to covert broadcasting over to wireless, despite the issues with using a dish. How many times has your phone call dropped out. Imagine watching your favorite show or football game and loosing the signal. Yes it happens now under certain weather conditions, but that is rare. So don't through away your dish just yet. Right now it's mostly talk and talk is cheap. DirecTV will launch DirecTV Now this month. Then we'll have a small inkling of how acceptable it will be and what there is to offer. Your not going to get 150 channels over your smartphone. So far, many broadcasters are not jumping on the DirecTV Now bandwagon. Chuck 

Dish began trialing OTT Internet TV just 4 years ago in 2012 with the launch of "DishWorld", a 50 channel offering available via a ROKU app. Their Sling TV OTT service was unveiled at the CES on Jan 5, 2015. Hardly what I would call having "had Sling for  very long time...". The "Sling" branding is owned by former Dish parent Echostar and used under a co-branding license similar to that used for the Echostar owned Sling "placeshifting" technology used in the Dish Hopper series receivers. Don't confuse Sling TV OTT streaming service with the Sling placeshifting technology. They're entirely different concepts...

The Valley Electric Assn. co-op in Pahrump, NV supplies electricity to a substantial portion of rural southwestern Nevada, extending some 250 miles through some of the least populated areas of the country.

They installed a fiber optic backbone along their power lines to monitor and control their equipment, and last summer it dawned on them they had the foundation in place to provide high speed Internet throughout their service area.

To speed the rollout, the initial "last mile" service to individual subscribers is being handled wirelessly.  Pahrump is now full of 18" DirecTV style dishes with a wifi modem at the end of their feedhorn pointing at nearby power poles.  The interim wireless service offers 25 mb speeds, it will be in place until they can run fiber to the houses.  Cost is $50 per month with no data cap.  This is the first residential high speed Internet available in the Pahrump area.

The real beneficiaries are the far rural customers.  They get the same service via the fiber optic backbone, and it's transformed rural life.  The service is fast enough to support interactive streaming video and ranch children can telecommute to real time school classes for the first time.  Farmers can remotely monitor and control their field irrigation systems, etc.

VEA figured they needed 4000 Internet subscribers in Pahrump (population 36,000) to subsidize service to the outlying areas.  They exceeded that number of applications within a few days of announcing the service.

There was an informative article about this in the monthly Pahrump magazine, but I can't find an online link to it.

rbertalotto said:
We how about that!

Direct TV announced "DirecTV NOW" today with 60 channels of streaming video for $35

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-makes-more-than-100-streaming-channels-avai-1789440342

IT'S HEEEEERRREEEE!
AT&T announced an intro offer of 100 channels for $35...60 channels at end of intro period (if you sign up during intro, 100 for 35 is permanent ). No info on which channels in package or local network availability. Supposed to start 30 Nov.
Also said downloads don't count against data. Recording available next year.

I just signed up to get the info when it rolls out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the RV'er that moves around the country a lot.

SargeW said:
I just signed up to get the info when it rolls out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the RV'er that moves around the country a lot.
So did I. I am waiting to see what the channel lineup is for the "100 Channels". Plus, CBS is known to not be available as yet. Other national networks only in large cities. Would definitely want a plan forward for offerings.

Just watching this thread and obviously I'm totally out of the loop as I'm confused - how is this content delivered? The article states, "For months the telecom giant has been teasing the streaming product, which like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, will allow subscribers to access live TV from a mobile device or set-top box without needing a regular cable or satellite subscription. DirecTV Now will work on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, on Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast TVs, and in web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer"

My understanding of "streaming" is that it requires a data delivery vehicle, either hardwire (phone line, cable, etc) or satellite/cellular. Is this delivered over a DirecTV dish?Cellular?If the dish, what's the difference between this and DirecTV service? If cellular, that leaves the existing coverage and bandwidth issues.  ??? ???

Sun2Retire said:
Just watching this thread and obviously I'm totally out of the loop as I'm confused - how is this content delivered? The article states, "For months the telecom giant has been teasing the streaming product, which like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, will allow subscribers to access live TV from a mobile device or set-top box without needing a regular cable or satellite subscription. DirecTV Now will work on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, on Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast TVs, and in web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer"

My understanding of "streaming" is that it requires a data delivery vehicle, either hardwire (phone line, cable, etc) or satellite/cellular. Is this delivered over a DirecTV dish?Cellular?If the dish, what's the difference between this and DirecTV service? If cellular, that leaves the existing coverage and bandwidth issues.  ??? ???
As I understand it you need a source of internet

Yes, streaming is the same as turning on your computer and watching a U Tube video, only longer. The concept is the same.  I stream Netflix nightly now watching old TV shows. It is done over my Verizon USB modem.  I do it at 3G speeds right now, and there can be disruptions based on available bandwidth.  Therein lies the question for me.  With thousands of people streaming, how does the system handle the load?

What is the advantage of AT&T's plan vs just paying $40/mo for Dish's RV plan with no bandwidth or reception issues (as long as I have a view of the southern sky)?

Back
Top Bottom