At the risk of being ridiculed, are there any vegans among you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like Tom, I never knew the difference until my daughter became a vegan.  Thirty five years ago I was, or at least thought I was, a vegetarian.  Basically I quite eating meat for a while.  Never heard the term vegan.  But then, I think that was before the Internet.  Basically I just cut out all meat from my diet.  Even fish.  But then, I was born and raised in Minnesota and the only fish I ever ate was a sunfish.  As I recall, after it was filleted it was still 50% fish and 50% bone.  Never got into chewing fish bones. :eek:  Anyway my daughter, who became a vegan maybe 15 years later, explained the difference.  Can't remember if I felt better at the time, but then I've always enjoyed good health.  On the other hand, I did lose a bunch of weight.  Of course, I was going through a divorce and I don't cook.  So fruit and salads were the order of the day.  Fortunately, I love fruit and salads.  I am fine without meat but I'd have a hard time giving up eggs and butter. 

garyb1st said:
I am fine without meat but I'd have a hard time giving up eggs and butter.

Which would make you an ova-lacto vegetarian if you gave up other animal products.

There are different kinds of 'vegetarians'. I was ova-lacto, ate cheese and dairy products. I've met people who said they were vegetarian because they didn't eat beef. Some vegans use honey, others don't.  It's all a personal choice.

Sounds like a lot of us are at vegetarian at least once or twice a week. And that's a good thing.

Wendy

SmokerBill said:
"I read somewhere that if you really want to be healthy, don't eat any food that has a commercial.  You don't see many commercials for Kale, tomatoes and avocados.  :) "

I agree with that sentiment. No big business makes money off of kale. Eat whole foods, whether  plant or animal, and you'd be the better for it.  It's processed foods that hurt us.

Saw a commercial the other day for California avocados. LOL:)

Now on a more serious note. As I said earlier, I an a avid hunter and for all my life and to be honest it with you, I never took it super seriously till about fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago I was introduce to a doctor and over the years we became friends and started hunting together. When we meet he told me that the only beef he would eat would be the beef that he got hunting. I asked him why and his answer scared me. He went on to talk about all the growth hormones that were being use more and more and  scared about it too. That is the reason that I hunt today. Very seldom do we buy any beef and I can say that I haven't had a fast food burger in year. When we do go out I will get soup and salad and sometimes to the lasagna thing and maybe chicken. But the doc said the chicken even scares him too. So what do you. I do know that with hunting I will get beef that man hasn't corrupted for the most part.

This year I wasn't able to go deer or elk hunting because of my back. I had surgery last Friday so I hope to get stronger and back out there. I will have one more surgery for my neck in about 6 months. But thankfully my son did well and he has given us some meat. Dang he should, I feed him long enough.

One thing I didn't mention is fishing. I fish a ton, but I am a catch and release guy now because of the pollutants in the water. Here in Idaho we now have a few lakes where the state say to only consume one fish per month if it is out of those lakes. And if you are pregnant, you should not eat the fish at all. The Mercury is to high in the fish.  Really sad thing in my simple opinion.

Just thought I'd ask, have any of you ever had wild game like deer, elk, moose, pheasant, duck or goose?

For the most part, I make jerky out of the duck and goose.

hes4all said:
Just thought I'd ask, have any of you ever had wild game like deer, elk, moose, pheasant, duck or goose?

For the most part, I make jerky out of the duck and goose.
  Yup and squirrel, bear, rabbit etc. To be honest I didn't care for most of it  except the moose, rabbit and venison. I have had pheasant sausage and that was real good  :)

I found it kind of odd that the cows in Brazil were very, very thin.  But, the meat was incredible.  There were no big company owned farms, all were local and only had small herds of cattle.  The chicken there was pretty wonderful also.  And they ate lots of quail eggs.  But, every meal had beans and rice and salad.  The folks we stayed with ate very little pork and at all the places we ate, bread seemed to be only eaten for breakfast.

We stayed with a family in a small town there and saw a different side of the country than you would see if you just flew into Rio or one of the other tourist areas.  At the groceries, there was no processed food...no chips, cheetos, rice-a-roni, hamburger helper, etc.  and the only thing that was canned was corn and condensed milk.  It was very different from our groceries.  The produce was amazing.  At all of the restaurants, everything was made from scratch...no "fast food".  It reminded me of the US when I was a kid.  :)

The big thing that they loved was Coca Cola. 

hes4all said:
Now on a more serious note. As I said earlier, I an a avid hunter and for all my life and to be honest it with you, I never took it super seriously till about fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago I was introduce to a doctor and over the years we became friends and started hunting together. When we meet he told me that the only beef he would eat would be the beef that he got hunting. I asked him why and his answer scared me. He went on to talk about all the growth hormones that were being use more and more and  scared about it too. That is the reason that I hunt today. Very seldom do we buy any beef and I can say that I haven't had a fast food burger in year. When we do go out I will get soup and salad and sometimes to the lasagna thing and maybe chicken. But the doc said the chicken even scares him too. So what do you. I do know that with hunting I will get beef that man hasn't corrupted for the most part.
I am a lifelong meatatarian. I can't stand vegetables and can barely tolerate fruits. I have eaten a world's record amount of hamburgers in my life. And here I am at age 64 in almost perfect health. I have never taken a prescription pill on a daily basis for anything. It is amazing that I am still alive after eating all this beef that "man has corrupted".

Garry G. said:
  Yup and squirrel, bear, rabbit etc. To be honest I didn't care for most of it  except the moose, rabbit and venison. I have had pheasant sausage and that was real good  :)

You have me on the squirrel, never tried it. And venison is excellent. I do eat hambugers, I just use my meat to make them.
My son will eat everything he swear that snake is good.

garyb1st said:
I don't know Tom, based on your picture, you could stand to lose a pound or two.  lol
I know you are joking.  I am probably about 20 pounds overweight and I have been for the last 15 years. Even when I hike endlessly I don't lose weight. A few days ago a study was released that showed that being a few pounds overweight was healthier than being skinny. My BMI is around 30 and so I am not worried about my weight anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/study-suggests-lower-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html?_r=0

SeilerBird said:
I know you are joking.  I am probably about 20 pounds overweight and I have been for the last 15 years. Even when I hike endlessly I don't lose weight. A few days ago a study was released that showed that being a few pounds overweight was healthier than being skinny. My BMI is around 30 and so I am not worried about my weight anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/study-suggests-lower-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html?_r=0

Tom, it only gets worse with age.  I'm turning 70 in June.  Probably added 20 lbs in the past two years.  Also heard that being overweight is better but buying larger pants all the time is getting old. :) 

The word vegetarian covers a lot of sub groups.

Some only eat plants.. No mead, Dairy or anything that was ever a part of an animal or fish.

Some eat fish
Some eggs and/or milk and other dairy products.

Assorted studies suggest it is a healthy way to live and it may well be less expensive. Some folks claim it's better for the planet.. I won't defend any claims.  On either side.

I would like to reduce my meat intake but eduating the family cook .. Out of the question.

SeilerBird said:
Everything seems to get worse with age. The only good thing about getting old are the senior citizens discounts.

Actually, there's one other thing good about it: It's better than the alternative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrispyjCSLT22
Back
Top Bottom