At the risk of being ridiculed, are there any vegans among you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have known vegetarians and vegans, to each their own. We eat a lot of vegetables and fruits which we both enjoy but still want a chicken or steak dinner once or twice a week. It's all about eating in moderation.

OK, here is one for the thread, ever hear of a fruitarian?  THey will only eat what would naturally fall off the plant.  Something close to that anyway.  Friend of mine growing up became one as an adult, not sure if he stuck with or or not.

Look it up.

I am with Tom on this though, I eat just about anything, love veggies, fruit, meat, sauerkraut, you name it, just no liver please.  63, no issues, no meds, fairly trim, don't even consider myself that 20 pounds over. 

Of course, when I die from whatever they can point at my box and claim, dang hamburgers!

We grew up eating meat.  I think it was a real treat for our parents' generation who lived during the Great Depression.  Jerry started the "health kick" in the 1970s and then when I got breast cancer in 1983 and 1986 we started getting more serious about healthy eating.  Also, my sister who was obese was starting to have serious health issues (heart and insulin-dependent diabetes to name two) and I didn't want to go down her path so it was a gradual process.  We started eating much healthier.

Then in 1993 I was a human test subject for a Stanford study and I was in the very low fat cohort so cut 'way back on all fats.  Interestingly my cholesterol skyrocketed with the extremely low fat diet.  Eventually I went back to eating a more balanced diet including olives, olive oil, nuts, and avocados and everything leveled out to a more normal situation.  But we never went back to eating a lot of meat.  I still track my meals and weight just as I did on the Stanford study.  We mainly eat fish and chicken, but occasionally have beef.  What we do not have is cured meats with nitrites and I try to avoid hormone-injected products, whether chicken or milk.  We average less than 3 oz. of meat of all kinds per day and have at least two vegetarian meals every day.  These are yearly averages since 1993 when I started statistics for the Stanford study.  I've had people tell me it's too much trouble to keep track but I'd rather be healthy!

Both of us have lots of energy and we're very healthy for our ages.  Jerry takes no medications and I only take allergy medications.  They tried to put me on statins 25 years ago and I refused because I would rather control my cholesterol with lifestyle changes than drugs.

The big issue with vegetarianism of all kinds is making sure people get the "right" mix of nutrients.  Protein is the biggest problem for many who don't eat meat, but there are other good sources like beans and egg whites or nonfat milk for those who eat limited animal products.

If anyone can actually stick to a strict vegetarian diet of any kind, more power to them.

ArdraF

Vegan / vegetarian is a great lifestyle.  I salute those who do it, it's great if they find fulfillment in it....but it ain't for everybody.

I'll be 50 this year.  I eat a very meat heavy diet.  I also eat (in moderation) pretty much whatever I feel like eating, including ice cream and sweets. I even treat myself to a couple of beers a week.  I'm in excellent condition, and my doctor concurs.

But here's the rub.....I also have what most would consider a very active lifestyle....I run 5-7 miles per week, work out on a regular basis, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and ride my bike weather permitting.  I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs, with very low body fat.  Last BP a month ago was 117/72.  Very low cholesterol, and I can outwork a lot of guys half my age.  Of course, a lot of guys half my age these days are what I consider obese.  Too many hours in front of the TV or playing video games while I've spent decades working my body as hard as it will let me.  They have huge beer guts, and will probably be sticking themselves with a needle twice a day by the time they're my age.

Exercise regularly and vigorously thoughout your life, keep the stress in check, avoid the bad substances (or at least do them in moderation) and you won't have to worry nearly as much about the stuff that most of the world does.  Vegan / Vegetarian is great if that's what you want to do, and for whatever reason.  More power to you.  But there are a lot of us hard charging carnivores out there who can still easily keep up with you....and maybe pass you.

Cheers.  ;D

The choice to be vegan  or vegetarian may  also come from beliefs  that do not have anything to do with one's health.  The arguments for or against a diet  based on  maintaining  good health is not applicable in the case where your belief is in sustaining the food supply on the planet. 

Firstly, let?s just say that I?m surprised by the volume!
?and now for some quick clarifications, in no particular order.
I don?t have thin skin.
I?m not crying in my beer. (That would be sacrilegious!)
I have a great sense of humor.
My initial post was, what I thought, pretty straightforward? are there any other vegans out there? I figured that with a membership list of 50k perhaps I wasn?t alone. So here?s a point about humor I?d like to make. Sexual harassment and humor have something in common? what matters is ?in the eye of the beholder?. If a comedian tells his funniest joke, I mean this is one that busts him up just thinking about it? and nobody in the audience laughs, is the joke funny? So here?s an extreme example. Let?s say that I posted that I was Jewish, and I was wondering if there were any other Jews on the forum. One of the responses is from someone who tells his best Holocaust joke! ?and then justifies it by saying ?oh well, that?s just me, I have a warped sense of humor?. Wouldn?t an average person be completely mortified, or at least feel as though the poster was being inappropriate? We are not islands, we live in a society with all types of others around us, most of us realize and agree that it?s an acceptable trade-off, the etiquette vs. rights thing. (Now that?s not to say that anyone doesn?t have the right to post whatever they choose.)  But just because your bosses husband is extremely overweight you don?t really need to exercise your right by calling him ?fat? to his face, do you?
When I made the comment about ?pushing off? it was because ?at that point in time? it did not appear as though the discussion was going to head in a direction that I found interesting. It was no different than if I posted a topic about making hand carved wooden trivets and many who responded sold the virtues of making cast iron trivets. No judgment being made about cast iron trivets or about those who make them? just simply not interested.
Although I am a fulltimer, I am not retired, so I still suffer from the condition known as ?work?! About eight months of the year I work 8-12 hour days, then come the end of December ? early weeks of January I?m sequestered in my office to do all of the bookkeeping, filing, and tax prep that there is no time for during the work season. Once the tax forms are signed I?m off to warmer climes, so there is plenty of impetus to buckle down and get it done. It?s been a few days since I?ve had a chance to turn on my personal computer, and relax. It?s Sunday afternoon about 4pm EST. I see that the discussion has taken a few twists and I am glad to see some have found value in it. Guess my original question still remains, ARE there any other vegans out there?

Michael....You're all right man.  Glad you stuck around.  And you're right....we're not islands...Didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you.  I hope I can still be your (albeit carnivorous) friend.

Welcome back.  :)

I'm not Vegan, but have many friends that are vegan.  I'm always interested in new recipes, and have tried many from my vegan friends that are delicious.  (They don't seem to want to try my food, as much as I like to try theirs.) As I like salads, yet need more protein, it's my vegan friends that taught me delicious ways to pump up the protein.  They are also the ones that turned me on to soy and almond milk.  The Silk dark chocolate Almond milk has turned into my favorite drink.  I use it to satisfy a sweet tooth, instead of that piece of chocolate cake with ice cream.  So feel free to share some recipes, I'll try them out, and am sure others will as well.  Maybe you can start a favorite Vegan Recipe thread?

Michael Holden -- Liked your first post, thought it would be an interesting thread. Really liked your last post. I thought some of the responses were inappropriate.

We're not vegan but do limit to chicken and fish as much as possible. Several family members are vegan and a couple are vegetarian, and we're thinking in that direction, trying to learn. Glad to have the additional info.

Welcome. - John

The Corn Carrot Potato Chowder at that link sounds very tasty. And it's cold enough here for a pot of soup to be a good dinner.

Wendy

And as for kale, was it Dr Oz who said "kale is the new beef" in terms of nutrition ?

We've been getting a ton of kale and other B.S. (Brussels Sprouts) all summer with our Bountiful Baskets. Nobody knows what to do with the Kale or BS, so they give it to us. I need to find a good deal on a juicer. I guess kale is really good in juices, Dr. Oz had a recipe with kale in it.

skyking1 said:
We've been getting a ton of kale and other B.S. (Brussels Sprouts) all summer with our Bountiful Baskets. Nobody knows what to do with the Kale or BS, so they give it to us. I need to find a good deal on a juicer. I guess kale is really good in juices, Dr. Oz had a recipe with kale in it.

I put a handful of kale in with my protein shakes.  One cup (frozen) strawberries, one large banana, one Fuji apple, one cup (frozen) blueberries, one scoop vanilla protein powder (which ever kind you like should work fine), the handful of kale, and handful of spinach, one cup of Silk almond milk.  Blend up, enjoy a glass, freeze the rest for "ice cream" later.  (Sometimes I add 100% Blueberry juice if I'm out of Almond milk.  Both work fine, some people think it tastes better with the Blueberry juice.  I like it both ways.)  This recipe contains about 47 grams of protein, but this will depend on the protein powder you use.  So it is really two solid servings. 

Also, I like to take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator about two hours before I enjoy it as "ice cream," as I like it softer than it is when I take it straight out of the freezer.

Another use for the Kale is to make Kale chips.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/
  I like them with Humus, salsa, and Guacamole. 

We did the chips!
I have some allergies to work around in your shake, but I can make some substitutions. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom