Atlas tire opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gears

Ok, so our "new" motorhome (1997 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree Rally) needs tires, the Coopers that are on there range from 2004,2008, unknown, and 2014. We had a blowout on the way home from Michigan and now I need new tires. CampingWorld wants $400 each for Goodyears but a local shop sells Atlas Desparado in the 225/75R16 load range E for &95 each (plus mnt/bal/stems&disposal) 

These Coopers look new (other than the dry-rot cracks) so I'm not looking to get 40k miles out of a tire, I just want 5-8yrs out of them.

Opinions or experience?

Thanks

That's a tough one - I find no info at all on the Atlas brand of tire and $95 is really cheap for that size tire. CW, on the other hand, always charges top dollar for tires, so not surprising they are very high. Good year Wranglers generally sell for about $180-$199 each, not $400!  Stick with the local tires companies, since they all will handle that size range.

Are there any other choices, e.g. Cooper again, or another major brand?  Goodrich (a Michelin brand) and Firestone (a Bridgestone brand) both make that size and ought to be priced competitively. Maybe not quite as cheap as Atlas, but a good price for a known quality tire. Probably around $150 each.  Kumho also makes that size and they should be less, maybe $120 or so? It's not a brand that Americans recognize quickly, but it's a worldwide brand with a solid reputation.

Atlas were a well known brand back in the 60's at least. They were sold by Imperial Oil (Esso) stations, if not elsewhere, I seem to remember. I don't remember hearing about them in recent years though.

Yeah, I remember that Atlas brand too and even owned a set, but the current Atlas brand/company makes no mention of that heritage, or anything about its origins, factories, distribution, etc.

Based on the replies above it may be wise to avoid the risk of unknown with Atlas. One facility that I have used for repairs specializes in RV and truck fleet maintenance. For the 16 inch size they recommended the Firestone Transforce tires, they use them extensively on trucks of that size. I went ahead and replaced all six about 3 years ago and have been satisfied with them. I think the grand total for 6 was about $1,100 including all the fees and taxes.

Alfa38User said:
Atlas were a well known brand back in the 60's at least. They were sold by Imperial Oil (Esso) stations, if not elsewhere, I seem to remember. I don't remember hearing about them in recent years though.

Right on Stu.  My mother worked in the ESSO accounting office in New Orleans for many years and everything we had related to automotive was branded Atlas.  Like you, I haven't seen them in years.  Esso (Eastern States Standard Oil) finally changed their name to just plain Standard Oil.

The "new" Atlas tire co is about 20 miles from here - the shop that recommended them puts them on all the TimeWarner trucks & vans. For replacement Coopers I'm looking at $182 a piece and Goodyears are $250 and up.

I've got a friend who has access to Firestone discounts and he's working on getting me a price.

I wouldn't be afraid of the tires if your dealer backs them. Just because the tires are cheaper tires don't mean they aren't any good. I put a pair of no name tires on my old Itasca and they were pretty good tires. Lots of china made tires, some good some bad. Find out where they are made.

I don't know where you live or if you have a Discount Tire close to you, but they have the Cooper Discovers load range E in your size for $114.00. I put these on my class c last time I bought tires and they have been great.

One potential problem with obscure tire brands is getting warranty coverage when away from the selling dealer. Maybe not an issue for some, but those who travel widely have to consider that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom