Awning repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ro said:
What is the best brand Duck tape/glue to repair separating awning at motorhome side

Don't know what you mean when you say "separating awning at motorhome side".  Can you post a picture? If it's the fabric tearing, maybe some Eternabond tape will work

There is specialized awning tape that can be used to fix tears. Cut the piece to the correct size, then make sure you round the corners of the tape before applying to a clean dry surface that has been wiped with alcohol. We had a close encounter tee with a tree once, and the awning repair tape I used lasted for 3 years before I sold the rig. I would be a bit concerned that your terminology means the awning is coming apart which is something quite different than a simple tear.

When I said separating i mean the fabric where at attaches  to the MH.It is not torn it is coming apart,starting to flake/shreading. I used the silver duck tape but that didnt hold,It is raining here in maryland,so no picture.  Thanks for the replys

The fabric does not attach to the mh. There is a bead sewn to the edge of the fabric and that slides into a track fastened to the side of the mh. If it?s ripping at the bead, there?s nothing that can be done as far as I know. It?s just old and tired like allot of us.

Rene T said:
The fabric does not attach to the my. There is a bead sewn to the edge of the fabric and that slides into a track fastened to the side of the mh. If it?s ripping at the bead, there?s nothing that can be done as far as I know. It?s just old and tired like allot of us.

Lol agreed however if its just pulling out of the track you can spread the track with a screwdriver to feed the beaded part of the awning back in and pinch the track closed closed with pliers every couple of inches you feed back in
We had an awning "flag" in a wind/hail storm in Sturgis Sd and fixed it 3 yrs ago

The problem is not the bead. The flaking/shreading is about 6" from the bead ,3"to 4" wide, and about 6" long on both sides. The rest of the fabric looks fine. The silver duck tape oniy lasted about 100 miles before it came loose,Maybe I should have rounded the corners as stated.I was told black duck tape is stronger?

ro said:
The problem is not the bead. The flaking/shreading is about 6" from the bead ,3"to 4" wide, and about 6" long on both sides. The rest of the fabric looks fine. The silver duck tape oniy lasted about 100 miles before it came loose,Maybe I should have rounded the corners as stated.I was told black duck tape is stronger?
Just go buy real awning repair tape instead of duct tape. Duct tape is designed to seal metal, not fabric.

Do you know how old the awning fabric is? If it?s 20 or so years old, It?s probably ready for the grave. If the area you?re talking about is on the entire length, that?s because it?s in the weather 24/7 and it may keep fraying no matter what you do.

Sounds like a vinyl awning fabric and the vinyl is peeling away from the backing. Taping the area is a short term fix at best, but it's cheaper than new fabric.

Get a waterproof tape, e.g. awning repair tape of one of the heavy duty repair tapes like Gorilla Clear Repair tape or Sim Hurricane Tape.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7059421-ALL-PURPOSE-TAPE-HEAVY-DUTY-HURRICANE-White-Size-In-x-Yd-2-x-20/22001669

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-1-88-in-x-9-yds-Crystal-Clear-Tape-60270/204593167

X2 for clear Gorilla tape.  My awning has had a few patches for a year +, now.  The largest is just now needing redone.

I agree with Gary, sounds like the material is going bad (delaminating). I suspect it's right at the edge that is still showing when the awning is rolled up. Since that area is always exposed to the sun and weather.

Another alternative might be if you can find an upholstery or canvas shop willing to do it, you can probably take the fabric off (google for instructions) and have them cut off the damaged part and resew the "bead" (actually called "Keder welt") back on to it.

Still cheaper than buying a new one. And, it would last a lot longer,  but your awning will be shorter (by about 6") and it can sometimes be difficult to find a shop willing to do it.

Back
Top Bottom