Back Up Camera...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oystercopy

Hey folks.. our trailer is pre-wired for a back up camera, but I'm not sure exactly where the lines go, or whether (at some point) it becomes wireless to reach the cab of the truck?? I know there are cameras out there that come with a display (etc) but not sure how the signal gets INTO the towing vehicle to use it? This is a new Palomino Puma, 26' trailer. We received a less than helpful "tutorial" on the trailer when we bought it, but there is a lot (I'm discovering) that was left out of that tutorial.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new travel trailer. I can't help you with backup camera issues. But, I'll monitor this thread in case I decide on getting a backup camera system.

Our trailer was pre wired for the Furrion camera. If yours is the same maybe I can help. You will need the camera & monitor which I bought off Amazon a lot cheaper than the dealer was asking. Take 2 screws out to removed the cover on the rear of the RV. The camera will plug into the existing plug under the cover. Install the camera using 2 screws. If I remember correctly they camera and monitor were already paired as I bought the set. All that left is plug the monitor into 12v power and that's it. You need your running lights on to power the camera. Sometimes I forget that and wonder why my camera is not working. FYI the camera is on all the time if you have the lights turned on and that allows to see behind you running down the road also.

jlhog Nailed it. Although I did have to pair our camera to the monitor. Not a big deal.

I have my MH backup camera wired to the ignition so it is on all the time when the engine is running. I can see tiny cars tailgating me and when cars pull over to pass me much sooner than the side mirrors. I think it should be a required safety feature. I have the monitor mounted to the sun visor mount so I don't have to take my eyes so far off the road.

Our trailer was pre wired for the Furrion camera. If yours is the same maybe I can help. You will need the camera & monitor which I bought off Amazon a lot cheaper than the dealer was asking. Take 2 screws out to removed the cover on the rear of the RV. The camera will plug into the existing plug under the cover. Install the camera using 2 screws. If I remember correctly they camera and monitor were already paired as I bought the set. All that left is plug the monitor into 12v power and that's it. You need your running lights on to power the camera. Sometimes I forget that and wonder why my camera is not working. FYI the camera is on all the time if you have the lights turned on and that allows to see behind you running down the road also.
Unless Furrion changed the design on certain cameras, there are four screws on the cover and the camera.
This is from Furrions website fr the vision S
Be very careful, the screws are small and easy to drop,never to be found again.

1706628187193.png

Thanks for all that folks. Yeah, I looked into the Furrion camera and it was over $1200 at the dealer but still $900 elsewhere. I was hoping to not have to spend that much because I was able to buy a good Dash Cam for less than $300 with the same features except the display. And we were told that it could pair to an iPad or other display just as well as the one that comes with the Furrion camera. Not sure, but appreciate the help nonetheless!

I bought a cheap camera off Amazon that was furion compatible. Actually, it was the rear camera for my toy hauler, display monitor, and a license plate camera that I mounted on the front of my truck. Total cost was about $200.

I have my MH backup camera wired to the ignition so it is on all the time when the engine is running. I can see tiny cars tailgating me and when cars pull over to pass me much sooner than the side mirrors. I think it should be a required safety feature. I have the monitor mounted to the sun visor mount so I don't have to take my eyes so far off the road.
And here I was, spending hours online when I first bought this new truck last year trying to figure out a way to disable my backup camera because it's a PITA. I finally just put a piece of electrical tape over the lens.

And here I was, spending hours online when I first bought this new truck last year trying to figure out a way to disable my backup camera because it's a PITA. I finally just put a piece of electrical tape over the lens.

And I'm having one installed on my ride... That was the only thing I really liked about my rental car while my primary was getting the hail dents removed.

And I'm having one installed on my ride... That was the only thing I really liked about my rental car while my primary was getting the hail dents removed.
I have to admit the safety features on our Outback are amazing, when the salesman was doing the demo he intentionally tried to first drive the car forward into a stationary car and then back into it, both times the car stopped itself, if it drifts over onto the line it will sound an alarm and gently steer itself back into the lane. I'm convinced that as AI advances autonomous driving cars will be safer if they aren't already.

I have to admit the safety features on our Outback are amazing, when the salesman was doing the demo he intentionally tried to first drive the car forward into a stationary car and then back into it, both times the car stopped itself, if it drifts over onto the line it will sound an alarm and gently steer itself back into the lane. I'm convinced that as AI advances autonomous driving cars will be safer if they aren't already.
My friend has a jeep Cherokee with similar "protection" devices. It took a call to the dealer to figure out how to get the system disabled when he tried to back up with his TT attached.

Just heard from FR. They will not release the TT's wiring diagram to me for "liability issues". I suspect that might also be to discourage DIY so that the dealers' service centers get more work.

Just heard from FR. They will not release the TT's wiring diagram to me for "liability issues". I suspect that might also be to discourage DIY so that the dealers' service centers get more work.
I think most would agree the people who assemble an RV don't pay much attention to their wiring diagram. With them it's whatever works if you're lucky. So it's their liability they are protecting.

Had you tried not looking at it?
Yeah, but it's really bright and I can't ignore it at night. It activates when I put the truck in Reverse even when I have the screen turned off. Very distracting trying to squint past the glare to see my mirrors. Therefore the electrical tape. The screen still comes on, but it's black.

The camera I liked.. The Radar adaptive cruse control was a mixed item It slowed me hard when some idiot cut in front of me. Lane assist was a pain. The only one I'm adding to the jeep is the camera.

The camera I liked.. The Radar adaptive cruse control was a mixed item It slowed me hard when some idiot cut in front of me. Lane assist was a pain. The only one I'm adding to the jeep is the camera.
We can set our cruise control to react within certain distances of cars as we come up on them. If you're not paying attention you'll be cruising along behind them at their speed for no telling how long before you noticed you're going 10 mph below your set speed.

Yeah, but it's really bright and I can't ignore it at night. It activates when I put the truck in Reverse even when I have the screen turned off. Very distracting trying to squint past the glare to see my mirrors. Therefore the electrical tape. The screen still comes on, but it's black.
I knew you were Navy so I thought maybe that hadn't occurred to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom