Beginner guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Larry, I finally figured that out.

Your next step will be Barre chords; with a barred chord, you just strum your plectrum across all 6 strings. No muting necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnS4uhaXAI

Barred chords are not in the tea leaves. I've tried and tried, and failed miserably to barre a chord with my ukuleles and banjos. I decided some time ago that it's one of those things that's just anatomically impossible for me, and it would be even harder on guitar.

[quote author=SeilerBird]Let me try again:[/quote]

Didn't mean to appear to ignore your message Tom. I mentioned a sprain in my left hand/wrist, and it's very evident when I try to play guitar. Since I have a uke concert coming up tomorrow (and practice this evening), I decided to lay off the guitar for a while.

Strangely, I've been playing my plectrum banjo (4 strings, much narrower neck), apparently with no adverse affects. I feel the sprain 'improving' (less pain) daily, and I'll hopefully get back to the guitar shortly.

Now if only I could recall how I got the sprain  ???

That's a bummer for a guitar player to sprain his wrist. I hope you feel better soon.

Do you use a pick? If so here is a little tidbit you may not know. Picks come in different stiffness's. Most guitarist use a stiff pick for lead and a thin pick for strumming. Of course there are many who don't follow this convention but I thought I would mention it just in case you were not aware.

Thanks for the tip. I don't use a pick, although I bought a couple at the music store when I got the guitar. Maybe it's because of the way I've played uke for the last couple of years, but I find it easier to strum with my forefinger and thumb; Actually use the fingernails. I occasionally try a pick, but don't stick with it. I suppose that, if I was picking notes, a pick would be almost a must.

Actually there are many guitar players that pick notes without a pick, like Jeff Beck. I don't see how they do it but they do. Strumming with your forefinger and thumb is a great way to do it.

I picked up a nice Yamaha acoustic electric guitar ... They let me have it on their rental program, with full credit towards purchase should I decide to buy.

I made it official last week, and outright purchased the Yamaha when I visited my favorite music store. Formal guitar lessons start mid August. I couldn't resist wandering around the store, trying out different instruments, including a mandolin; I see another instrument in my future  ;D

I once purchased geetar, like  . . . forty years ago, and learned to play it rather well. ??

I must have been rather awesome! When looking for it one day, my wife mentioned that she had donated it to neighbour to sell in her garage sale!!

How much?

$$ 7.00!!

Obviously . . . . I got the message. 

I just plunked down $2600 for a new Taylor 718e. I'm beginning a killer cancer battle, so I thought I at least owed myself this fun treat; first guitar since college.  Plus, It'll be a nice leave-behind for my son.

Bummer on the cancer. Hope you get it beat. We have a number of survivors here on the forum.

Enjoy that Taylor!

Haven't attempted (much) to play my guitar; Classes are just 10 days away. Meanwhile, a friend who played it suggested I change the strings, and to get "accoustic electric, lite" strings. Following some research, I ordered a set of DR Zebra Accoustic Electric Lite (9-42) from Amazon, along with a string winder.

I've changed nylon strings on ukuleles, but this will be the first time I've changed metal strings on a guitar. I've done some research/reading on this too. No tying knots to secure the strings!

9s are probably not the best choice for strings for you. 9s are basically for lead guitarists who do a lot of string bending. The reason you won't like them is because they will make your guitar thin sounding, especially without amplification. Lead guitarists add a lot of effects to basically give the strings back the balls they are missing. You would probably be more happy with 11s or 12s unless you plan on playing a lot of lead and doing a lot of string bending. You are probably thinking thinner strings would be easier on your fingers. Maybe, but you are better off toughening up your fingers by doing a lot of playing. Thinner strings actually can be more difficult to play and can be harder on your hands, depending on your playing style.

Thanks Tom. I figured I was probably going to need to try different strings to decide what I needed.

Finding strings that sound and and feel good is a very time consuming process.  Personally I have never found an acoustic/electric string I liked.  I don't even like them on electric guitars.    One of my band-mates plays a classic Martin 000 with (gasp) nylon & steel strings.  She might as well be playing under water.  I use nothing but Elixir Lights.  I buy about a case of them a year for several guitars.  They last a long time.

X2, the 9's are going to sound wimpy and may actually hurt your fingers more.  IMHO your efforts would be better rewarded by taking the guitar to a luthier and having the action professionally set up for ease of playing with a normal set of 'Light' strings.  This is the #1 reason why so many beginning guitarists give up.  They buy a guitar that probably has the proverbial 'action from Hell' and never have it adjusted.  Yahaha builds good guitars with perfectly curved necks but they are not known for their silky smooth action right out of the box.

I broke all 4 metacarpals in my left hand and have very little strength left.  You can bet all of my guitars play as easily as possible.  But if I can play 3 hours a day anyone can!

Please tell me you also bought a tuner.........  Or have a tuner app on your smartphone....... :eek: 

My head was spinning by the time I read different folks' opinions on brands and models of strings. So I figured I'd try one of the recommendations.

Good suggestion re the luthier. I used one an hour or so from here to adjust the action on my banjo when I first bought it. I might take a drive down to see him. Didn't buy a tuner; I have a bunch of tuners around here, and the Yamaha has a built-in tuner that seems to agree with my clip-on tuners.

Please tell me you also bought a tuner

As mentioned, I didn't need to buy one, but I'm sitting here looking at 9 stringed instruments (6 ukes, a banjo uke/banjolele, plectrum banjo, and guitar), and there's no way I could play them if they weren't in tune  ;)

Or have a tuner app on your smartphone

I have several different apps on my Android tablet, but I find the clip-on chromatic tuners convenient. I usually seem to have one in my pocket when I'm out and about shopping or visiting garage sales; You never know when I might see an instrument I want to pick up and play.

My experiences with the clip on tuners has been all over the map.  One of the guys I sit in with occasionally uses some weird little clip on tuner and it's just plain wrong.  (I think it might be a Frogmind?) I used the same big old Boss tuner for about 15 years until I decided to  stop buying batteries and started using an iPhone app.  The iPhone has a better mic and seems to be spot on accurate.  And I can check my email while everyone thinks I'm tuning!

I don't even know how many instruments I have anymore.  It's a sickness.  But I really only play a couple of them most of the time.  I'm actually thinking of selling a Baby Taylor because I never fly anywhere since I retired.

At least uke's don't take up quite as much room......  ;D

Have a listen to some of my older 'stuff' on soundcloud:  soundcloud.com/Russell-Causey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom