Berkley RV homeless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldgator73 said:
The private prison industry or for profit prisons gave more $100,000,000 to the campaign of the guy that is in the WH now. More than 65% of ICE detainees are housed in private for profit prisons. These prisons are making a tidy profit off the current immigration policies.

"The current immigration policies" are the same one that have been in existence for some time; they were not changed due to the existence of for-profit institutions. Those institutions came into being because there were not enough existing facilities, and/or the desire to cut costs (an endeavor that the government rarely gets right). So, your position, that they somehow caused the problem, doesn't work. It is entirely correct to say that they are profiting from it, but that isn't the same thing...

As Deepthroat's famous quote says, "Follow the money".  So candidate A gets a huge donation from lobbyist B, then Elected Official(formerly candidate A) once elected, then changes policy that enriches the company that lobbyist B lobbies for.  Coincidence?

sightseers said:
I hate to be the one to defend an ACLU member....but right is right.

There was an in-depth 60 minutes show on a DOJ/FBI investigation of the corruption of many Louisiana Parrish for profit jail systems that was doing just that.

They interviewed a bread winner father/family man that was given a 3rd strike life sentence because he had a joint on him.  it ruined his wife and kids and left them on the streets.  the Parrish jails were trying to fill empty beds for federal dollars.

Yes, and no.

First, Louisiana is not exactly a template; many of the for-profit institutions there are owned by the current, or former, sheriffs. They were built, again, because there weren't enough facilities to house a burgeoning population. Louisiana was already #1 in incarceration rates, I believe, so that it cannot really be argued that the for-profit institutions changed that, which is the charge being leveled. Second, without knowing the case, I do know that many states have fairly harsh laws regarding recidivist offenders; California had a three strikes law that was passed in the 1980s, if memory serves, in which any conviction following two felony convictions would result in an automatic life sentence. Again, that was before the advent of for-profit, so it may again be confusing (intentionally or not) correlation and causation.

I don't have any doubt that there is/was corruption in the Louisiana system, or that it can exist anywhere else. I do, however, feel that the argument that it is all based on for-profit institutions, is simply misdirected anger with the system. To really get to brass tacks, the bottom line of that argument is to address the problem, not the symptom, which necessarily be the government...

so,  back on thread.

I saw that California counts for about 12% of the national population.  but it accounts for 33% of the total food stamp recipients.

and now our one party controlled CA legislators are demanding ICE to be eliminated and open borders sanctuary state ....

San Francisco has given non citizens the right to vote in local elections. 

it just keeps getting better and better.  say goodbye to the golden state.

Paul 1950 said:
As Deepthroat's famous quote says, "Follow the money".  So candidate A gets a huge donation from lobbyist B, then Elected Official(formerly candidate A) once elected, then changes policy that enriches the company that lobbyist B lobbies for.  Coincidence?

First, they all get money; every candidate gets donations for their campaign, from plenty of different companies. Period. So, are they all necessarily dirty? Because that is essentially your argument.

Second, what was changed...?

signcut said:
"The current immigration policies" are the same one that have been in existence for some time; they were not changed due to the existence of for-profit institutions. Those institutions came into being because there were not enough existing facilities, and/or the desire to cut costs (an endeavor that the government rarely gets right). So, your position, that they somehow caused the problem, doesn't work. It is entirely correct to say that they are profiting from it, but that isn't the same thing...

The policy used to be catch and release. The policy now is everybody goes to prison.
FenderP said:
ICE apprehends CRIMINALS, what do you suggest we do with them?  Send them over to your house with all the homeless you are helping out?

I think you are confused between those illegally entering the country and those presenting at the border asking for asylum. They are now all lumped together and 65% are sent to for profit prisons and their children are sent to for profit detention centers.
FenderP said:
That was a down payment for the uranium his not a stand by my man kind of woman "sold" them.  ;) ;)

You need to learn how to research. Make make you look a bit more intelligent.

sightseers said:
so,  back on thread.

I saw that California counts for about 12% of the national population.  but it receives about 33% of the total federal welfare budget.

and now our one party controlled CA legislators are demanding ICE to be eliminated and open borders....

Non citizens cannot vote. Voter fraud is virtually nonexistent in the US.

sightseers said:
so,  back on thread.

I saw that California counts for about 12% of the national population.  but it receives about 33% of the total federal welfare budget.

and now our one party controlled CA legislators are demanding ICE to be eliminated and open borders sanctuary state ....

This is an interesting statement. Can you point me to where this data can be verified?

Oh yes, according a bunch of news sources and Snopes, San Francisco allow non-citizen residents to vote on local school board matters only.

Oldgator73 said:
Non citizens cannot vote.

you are wrong about that in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Davis_Hanson.  he's the chair of the Hoover institute,  an economic think tank at Stanford univ.

Seems like we?re pretty far afield from the original RV related topic. As has been stated innumerable times folks, take the ideological and political discussions elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom