Berkley RV homeless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill N said:
I am pretty sure I am a  :)) :)) .  Otherwise it's too late to change so maybe we can meet there............lol

LOL, could be standing next to you either way Bill  ;)

SuzanneH said:
The root cause of this was NOT money...it was because there was a "successful" movement to stop the practice of keeping these patients safe and cared for in order to respect their "rights".  As this happened, THAT was when homelessness really started becoming the problem it is today. . . .
Maybe we need to take another look at the State Hospital system.  Surely there must be some middle ground that would respect individual freedoms and rights but still offer a haven to those who, by no fault of their own, must deal with mental illness and all the fallout from their illness.

The reason state hospitals closed was absolutely due to lack of money!!!  It happened in early 1981 when the Reagan admin (no politics attached) cut off all federal funding to the States that was ear-marked for the types of care being discussed.  If anyone was paying attention back then, as I was, this sudden lack of money resulted in thousands of people being turned out on the streets and is was a mini crisis of sorts.  It was reported for months, and not on the internet.  The federal govt gives all kind of money to states for various programs--not just health care or job training etc.  When the homeless--mentally ill dollars dried up overnight, each state was left to its devices to find the funds.  Most could not, because all states depend heavily on federal $$$ to remain solvent.  All states have recovered somewhat over the ensuing 30 years, some better than others at providing care, but none have made it a priority to provide care like pre-1981 levels. 

There are "state" institutions for mentally and physically challenged people, we just don't call then "state hospitals" anymore --maybe due to the abuses of 60+ years ago.  Most come under Medicaid funding, which again is fed dollars spent as each state sees fit (within guidelines of course).  The problem remains however that there is not enough capacity to take care of all those that need it, so people come and go, when it would be safer and morally better for them to not go.  Many who would have been hospitalized in days gone by now live at home cared for by family because there is no place for them to go. And many of these families desperately need help, while facing 3-5 year or more waiting lists to get into a state facility.

So depending on where you live, the problem may be more or less visible depending on how well the state you're in provides for the care of those that need it.  But it did all mushroom, and become a major issue that is still with us today because of lack of money.  Not my opinion, just history.

Linda

So, there's this homeless guy that lived under an overpass and begged for food, had to walk anywhere he needed to go (which was painful because the homeless life had taken a toll on him even though he wasn't that old), drank whatever water he could find, and in general lived a miserable life not of his own choosing.

One day a tall man walks up to the homeless guy and asks him why he is homeless.  The homeless guy says, I don't know, it just turned out that way.  I had a job and lost it and eventually ended up here.  I guess it took a while, but it seemed to happen so fast.  Now, even if I wanted to get a job I couldn't.  I just can't concentrate any more -I think something is wrong with me because the few jobs I did get I couldn't keep -things I'd say or do would get me fired.  Things I can't explain.

The tall man asked the homeless man if he would really like to live in a house -off the street, all the food and water he needs, no worries. He wouldn't even have to work for it. Or, did he just feel comfortable living the homeless lifestyle because it is what he was used to.  The homeless man said he could never get used to being homeless and he would love to have those things.

So, the tall man helped the homeless guy into his car and drove him into a nice neighborhood with big, nice homes -even the lawns were nicely manicured.  Eventually the tall man stopped the car in front of a big house with huge columns out front and a three car garage.  The tall man helped the homeless guy out of the car and took him inside.  Once inside the tall man showed the homeless guy the entire house -very nicely appointed with everything anyone would ever need -even food in the pantry.

For the first time in years, the homeless guy smiled.  He told the tall man he had a nice house.  The tall man told the homeless guy, the house isn't mine, it's yours.  So is everything in it and the cars in the garage.  There will be no expenses to you -everything will be taken care of.

The homeless guy just stared at the tall man but the tall man held out the keys to the house and told him it is a gift.  Take it.

The homeless guy walks to the front door and out onto the porch.  The tall man asked him where he was going.  The homeless man turned and told him there is no way this is real.  The tall man told him, it is real.  The homeless guy says it can't be.  The tall man told the homeless man to just take the keys and stay here.  If it turns out to be not real, then what have you lost?

The homeless guy stares at the tall man and tells him he refuses to believe the house, cars, etc. are real and that he will not be made a fool of.  The homeless man then walks down to the street and out of sight back to "his" overpass and chooses to remain in his miserable, dirty life under the bridge.

True story.

Dreamsend said:
The reason state hospitals closed was absolutely due to lack of money!!!  It happened in early 1981 when the Reagan admin (no politics attached) cut off all federal funding to the States that was ear-marked for the types of care being discussed.  If anyone was paying attention back then, as I was, this sudden lack of money resulted in thousands of people being turned out on the streets and is was a mini crisis of sorts.  It was reported for months, and not on the internet.  The federal govt gives all kind of money to states for various programs--not just health care or job training etc.  When the homeless--mentally ill dollars dried up overnight, each state was left to its devices to find the funds.  Most could not, because all states depend heavily on federal $$$ to remain solvent.  All states have recovered somewhat over the ensuing 30 years, some better than others at providing care, but none have made it a priority to provide care like pre-1981 levels. 

There are "state" institutions for mentally and physically challenged people, we just don't call then "state hospitals" anymore --maybe due to the abuses of 60+ years ago.  Most come under Medicaid funding, which again is fed dollars spent as each state sees fit (within guidelines of course).  The problem remains however that there is not enough capacity to take care of all those that need it, so people come and go, when it would be safer and morally better for them to not go.  Many who would have been hospitalized in days gone by now live at home cared for by family because there is no place for them to go. And many of these families desperately need help, while facing 3-5 year or more waiting lists to get into a state facility.

So depending on where you live, the problem may be more or less visible depending on how well the state you're in provides for the care of those that need it.  But it did all mushroom, and become a major issue that is still with us today because of lack of money.  Not my opinion, just history.

Linda

I remember that well here in California when Reagan pushed that through. At the time I thought a lot of it made sense but unintended consequences have popped their ugly heads up. 

Sure wish there was an obvious simple answer. 

garyb1st said:
Are you suggesting this is not true?

support ? what's that worth today.... you can just buy a dossier that will support anything you want.

The reality is all mental hospitals and prisons (actually just a mental hospital for the non docile ones ) are houses of horror.  They are the things most people never want to see or realize are happening....it's worse than watching those shivering chained up puppy commercials.

sightseers said:
support ? what's that worth today.... you can just buy a dossier that will support anything you want.

The reality is all mental hospitals and prisons (actually just a mental hospital for the non docile ones ) are houses of horror.  They are the things most people never want to see or realize are happening....it's worse than watching those shivering chained up puppy commercials.

If profit was taken out of the equation mental institutions, prisons and now child detention camps would be much less populated. For the uber rich there are really nice facilities to send those that are harmful to either themselves or others. For the rest of us there are only federal, state or for profit institutions and prisons. As for the for profit institutions, I would posit a lot of folks are sent to these facilities and kept there purely for the reason to pad somebodies bank account.

Oldgator73 said:
If profit was taken out of the equation mental institutions, prisons and now child detention camps would be much less populated. For the uber rich there are really nice facilities to send those that are harmful to either themselves or others. For the rest of us there are only federal, state or for profit institutions and prisons. As for the for profit institutions, I would posit a lot of folks are sent to these facilities and kept there purely for the reason to pad somebodies bank account.

Yeah, because the majority of people in prison are not there for committing a crime.  They were framed so the institutions can get more money.    ::)

FenderP said:
Yeah, because the majority of people in prison are not there for committing a crime.  They were framed so the institutions can get more money.    ::)

The federal prison population alone is 184,000. Of that nearly 20,000 are in private prisons. The US has the largest prison population of any developed country in the world. So to answer your question, I would say yes, there are many folks in prison that do not belong there.

yes, only the rich can circumnavigate the horrors of institutional healthcare and the legal system. 

And ironically the list of "Uber Rich" is just about all uber liberals.

Oldgator73 said:
The federal prison population alone is 184,000. Of that nearly 20,000 are in private prisons. The US has the largest prison population of any developed country in the world. So to answer your question, I would say yes, there are many folks in prison that do not belong there.

Foil hat time.

The shiny side has superior reflective properties, so you want to wear it on the outside to repel all of those nasty EMF forces away from your head.

Wearing the foil shiny side in not only allows more of the EMF forces to get through to your brain, but once they're in it will just keep reflecting back any that manage to escape.

Duh.  :eek:

Lou Schneider said:
The shiny side has superior reflective properties, so you want to wear it on the outside to repel all of those nasty EMF forces away from your head.

Wearing the foil shiny side in not only allows more of the EMF forces to get through to your brain, but once they're in it will just keep reflecting back any that manage to escape.

Duh.  :eek:

Finally some good expert knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom