Best BBQ in the South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

We’re eating our way through Tennessee, Arkansas and Louisiana and so far have encountered 2 really excellent bbq places.

1. Loven-Fresh Smokehouse Barbecue - 8305 Highway 64 Oakland, TN 38060 Log into Facebook

2. Jones Bar-B-Q Diner 219 W Louisiana St Marianna, AR 72360 Log into Facebook

The proprietor of Jones has a James Beard award: It’s all about the barbecue at no-frills Arkansas diner with unpredictable hours — and a James Beard Award

Any other bbq recommendations?

Any other delish food item not to miss?

Heading to Natchitoches, then Abbeville LA.

6AA55D1F-33D5-4899-8A9F-6BFEBA0584D0.jpeg

F2F77B36-8012-41FD-BAEC-9F888648D1C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Until recently we had a great BBQ place here, the owners were doing a booming business, but they decided to close up last week due to not being able to find good help.

If you are going to be near Vienna, GA in November (1 & 2, 2024), you might be interested in the Big Pig Jig. Downside is the RV Parks & Campgrounds fill up pretty good during this event.

Until recently we had a great BBQ place here, the owners were doing a booming business, but they decided to close up last week due to not being able to find good help.
So sad. We’ve seen this a couple of places.

Found another great bbq place worth mentioning in St. Joseph, Louisiana

There is a rustic BBQ place called The Little Dooey with one location in Starkville, MS. and another in nearby Columbus. Many believe it is the best BBQ in the USA. Smokey and sweet but not overly sweet like Memphis BBQ. President Obama gave it 5 stars when he ate lunch at the Columbus location. I understood he had the fried ribs. Sounds disgusting because you actually eat the rib bone. The bone is very tender and delicious.

I have no recommendations for BBQ in Louisiana but for Great Turtle in Sauce Piquant you will find it at
Suire's Grocery & Restaurant
13923 LA-35
Kaplan, LA 70548
This is the real deal local joint not many tourists know about it. If it is not on the menu for the day you will find it frozen to go. Add some rice and heat the turtle YUM YUM

BBQ is one of those things that folks argue over. It was the invention of the slaves. In my opinion BBQ today is way overrated. Chicken, pork and cheap cuts of beef are what’s normally used. Franklins BBQ in Texas has folks lined up well before dawn. The line runs down the street and when they run out of food everybody is told to go home. Not for me. I won’t stand in line for any kind of food. The best BBQ I’ve had was when my dad and cousin cooked over oak on a makeshift pit made from concrete blocks and old furnace grates. We haven’t gone to a restaurant for BBQ in more years than I can remember. Folks also confuse grilling with BBQ. And when we lived in Texas folks would put BBQ sauce on steaks (a sacrilege in my opinion).

I have no recommendations for BBQ in Louisiana but for Great Turtle in Sauce Piquant you will find it at
Suire's Grocery & Restaurant
13923 LA-35
Kaplan, LA 70548
This is the real deal local joint not many tourists know about it. If it is not on the menu for the day you will find it frozen to go. Add some rice and heat the turtle YUM YUM
Suires was on my list but we ran out of time. We did get to a place someone else recommended: Best Stop Cajun Market and got some boudin and tasso. Wish I had known about the turtle…would have made it a priority! Next time!

Last edited:
There is a rustic BBQ place called The Little Dooey with one location in Starkville, MS. and another in nearby Columbus. Many believe it is the best BBQ in the USA. Smokey and sweet but not overly sweet like Memphis BBQ. President Obama gave it 5 stars when he ate lunch at the Columbus location. I understood he had the fried ribs. Sounds disgusting because you actually eat the rib bone. The bone is very tender and delicious.
We are going to be in Starkville this week. I’ll check it out. We plan to visit Rhoda's Famous Tamales in Lake Village and Aunt B's Soul Food Restaurant in Tupelo. We’re hoping to stop at the BB King museum as well.

At one time Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, a wood frame house on a hill with a screen door, was the geocentric place in North America for ribs. Visiting teams to the Tide all went there. Originally they served three items, white bread, house bbq sauce and ribs + coke in a bottle or tea. No fries, no slaw, no nuthin. While waiting for the order you dipped white bread in bbq sauce. Now they've franchised out and serve a full menu. Not sure how it is now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom