Best Motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlazar

I often see folks list Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra as the top motorhomes for service and quality.  What are the reasons that Winnebago isn't included with these brands?

jlazar said:
I often see folks list Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra as the top motorhomes for service and quality.  What are the reasons that Winnebago isn't included with these brands?
Many people include Winnebago in the top brands. But the top brands are simply a matter of opinion. Very few people have real world experience with more than two or three different brands so getting real opinions that mean something is almost impossible. There are no bad motorhomes.

Opinions, just opinions. My list would be different, but so what?

Tiffin gives excellent customer support (phone and onsite at the factory), but I see no indication they build any better than others. Newmar builds higher end models, whether gas or diesel, so generally they are better made than cheaper ones, but they are no less prone to factory defects. Ditto for Entegra.

Winnebago is a low to mid-tier RV builder and builds as well as any in those price ranges. Winnie will soon have Country Coach models for the upper tier as well, and one hopes they will be competitive in build quality too.

REV Group, maker of American Coach, Fleetwood, Monaco and Holiday Rambler brands, also has good factory service center and customer service support. Build quality is typical for the various price ranges they handle.

I agree with Gary, Winnebago has always been a low- mid level builder. Newmar and Entegra a very big step up.

I would put Winnebago in the list of top motorhomes for service and quality :)

I would say the top of the line Winnebago - (Grand Tour) hits the Newmar line at a loaded Dutchstar or the Entegra Anthem, although Engtegra just bumped all their models up a step with the introduction of the Insignia for 2017).  Thats the end of the line for Winnebago, but the Newmar and Entegra, and even Tiffen and American Coach keep going.

SeilerBird said:
Many people include Winnebago in the top brands. But the top brands are simply a matter of opinion. Very few people have real world experience with more than two or three different brands so getting real opinions that mean something is almost impossible. There are no bad motorhomes.

Holy cow Tom.. I seem to be quoting your words of wisdom a lot lately.
I couldn't agree more. With the exception of Gary Brinck or a very experienced MH service tech, the majority of us simply don't have the purchasing experience to make a valid assessment of what's "good" or "bad".
That said, I would be hard pressed to trade my MH for much of the newer or more expensive rigs out there.

BinaryBob said:
Holy cow Tom.. I seem to be quoting your words of wisdom a lot lately.
Thank you Bob. I have owned a Tiffin, two Jaycos, two Fleetwoods, a Damon and a few others however I don't feel qualified to make any conclusions on the entire line of their motorhomes just by my limited experience. I could say good things and bad things about each one but I am certainly not in a position to pass judgement on any of them.

The OP didn't say if he was in the market to buy something.
He certainly didn't mention new or used either.

Having just purchased my first used MH, I could not name any units as one being better than another.

But isn't it very common on these forums to say Floorplan, Floorplan, and Floorplan?

For example I had seen a lot of MH's and decided that I would rather NOT have a TV up over the Driver's area.
That was just my personal preference as I didn't want to have to look up to watch TV.  Many people don't care where the
TV is located - but might have other things they want a certain way.

So the Best Motorhomes are different to everyone.  When looking at used it's often said that how it was cared for
is one of the most important things to look for and that can outweigh a lot of other MH's that might be better equipped
but if they were not taken care of, it can't be said it's the best, and most people would advise to keep looking.  JMO.

My only previous experience was owning a 2005 Allegro Bay.  We are going fulltime and looking for a DP in the 40-44ft range.  Plan on living in it 7-10 yrs.  From looking at DPs we like the Phaeton and Allegro Bus, Aspire and Anthem, and Ventana and DS.  Was wondering if we should also be considering the Tour, Journey/Meridian.  Are they in the same class?  Has Winnebago solved the Schwintek problems?  Looking for a 2-3 yr old.

Winnebago stopped using Schwinteck in 2016.  I don't know if Tiffen still uses them or not. 

I would say you lined up the classes about right - Journey/Meridian are close to Phaeton, Aspire, Ventana, and the Tour/Ellipse close to the Allegro Bus, Anthem, and DS.  We shopped a long time and that is what I concluded based on feature to feature.  Winnebago is probably the least "ornate", Entegra probably the most "ornate", with the Newmar and Tiffen inbetween.

This year Entegra bumped the model line up with the introduction of Insignia.  I would say today the Insignia would be what the Aspire was 2-3 years ago, and the Aspire is closer to the Anthem than it was 2-3 years ago.

Mile High.  I see you have a Meridian 42E.  I saw the 2017 version and was really impressed with what they were offering for the money.  Are there two or three things you really like about your Meridian and 2-3 that you dislike?

What we like:

2 bathrooms - by far the top of the list.  That was a search criteria because we travel with a handicapped daughter.
Tag axle - that was a bonus with length, but makes a nice ride.
L-couch front living with corner TV and fireplace - allows for use of the cockpit seats to introduce into the lounge
Huge slide out tray and tall basement

Most dislikes I have are corrected for 2017

No Aqua hot - but 42E now has a D450 aquahot in the 2017
Schwinteck slides on street side - but new Power gear on 2017
I continue to find little things that were standard on the Tour/Ellipse that I don't have - heated seats, electric lock on basement doors, etc, but we didn't buy the Tour/Ellipse so I can't complain too much.
No dishwasher - but I think I'll get one installed.

We liked the 42E Journey/Meridian and 42QD Tour/Ellipse floorplans over all the others we looked at.  Price was right for us on this one, and it was pristine condition.

We have began our search for a used MH, and are in the "research" phase right now-  it is really confusing when it comes to brands, quality levels , who made what when ect. It would sure be nice to find some kind of comprehensive "list" of manufactures and what is their top of the line so on ( Example Newmar makes Mountain Aire, Dutch Star , Kountry Star ect. what is higher/lower level models ) and their comparables - a Winnebago Ultimate Advantage  is  compared to a  Newmar model-?. Also like someone mentioned earlier Tiffin is a step up to say winnebago. From my understanding it is a matter of build Quality in terms of say solid wood cabinets or MDF, porcelaine fixtures or plastic. It gets confusing - just because it costs more does it mean it's any better. ?  I get that it is largely personal preference ( ask a Ford guy what he thinks of a Dodge truck, or vice versa ! )We have some things in mind; We are looking for older up to 15yrs or so - DP 35-37' range, with ample kitchen counter space, no bunks . Once we can narrow it down to a couple of makes and models we can begin to hunt for the perfect one.
What are some of your fav's and suggestions ?????

Since you are looking to get 10 -15 year old coach I would look at high end builders. Such as Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme, Monoco, and American Coach. Or if able step up a notch to Foretravel and Wanderlodge.

Back
Top Bottom