Best waterpumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arctic_fox

So i recently had the onboard waterpump in my 18 foot echo bandit fry on me (dead for good the leads to the motor melted) after checking my wiring for a short all the way to my fusebox and finding nothing, Not even a tripped fuse i must conclude it died of natural causes and will be buried in the local dumpster without fanfare for its service however shakey....ms waterpump will be very sad I'm sure.

Now seriously though what is a good heavy duty brand that won't sound like a blender full of marbles when in use? The housing it fits into is under the trailer exposed to air and thus can be modded easily enough, currently however it is 28 inches long by 18 inches deep and 14 inches tall give or take a bit but i could easily expand it to 3 feet on all sides as its really just kinda hanging there, not entirely sure if their is a set voltage or such but it does have a 5amp relay in the fusebox if that helps, current pump has no brand on it i can find just a black pump with no markings.

The most commonly used brand of 12v water pump for an RV is SurFlo, followed by Aquatec.  They come in several sizes (gallons/minute) and are either fixed flow or variable speed. The variable speed types are quieter at lower flow rates, but cost more. One in the 2.9-4.0 gpm range should be sufficient.

Water pump noise is as much a matter of mounting and flex in the water lines as it is pump quality.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The most commonly used brand of 12v water pump for an RV is SurFlo, followed by Aquatec.  They come in several sizes (gallons/minute) and are either fixed flow or variable speed. The variable speed types are quieter at lower flow rates, but cost more. One in the 2.9-4.0 gpm range should be sufficient.

Water pump noise is as much a matter of mounting and flex in the water lines as it is pump quality.

X2 on the suggested pumps.

The most likely cause of noise is the mounting method. You should understand that these pumps do not have a rotating motor. Rather, there is a solenoid / spring arrangement that moves a diaphragm back and forth. If the pump is firmly mounted to the floor, then the floor acts like a sounding board and amplifies the thumping noise.

Try mounting the pump to a small piece of plywood through rubber isolators. Then mount the piece of plywood through a second set of rubber isolators.

Joel

Interesting. I've only seen the vibrating motor on the very small one sink only models. The Sureflo models Gary talked about and which are generally used in multi-outlet RV's have a rotating electric motor.

This site will give you some basics of what type and capacity of pump is available.  http://www.shurflowaterpump.com/ With an 18' rig you probably don't need the largest capacity pump. Remember though that 1 gpm takes longer to fill a pan than the 5.7 gpm and if you've got a shower you'll probably want to supply it with a pump capacity of more than the 2.5 GPM that the standard shower head is capable of flowing.

I like being able to hear the water pump pumping. It's a background noise, but one that tells you if you ever develop a leak. If you hear it kick on every hour or so during the night you know there's a small leak somewhere. If you hear it run continuously then you know there's a big leak.

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom