Best way to store a lot of recipes in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and I see you are asking HOW to store them in Word...

If you SCAN them, you would store them as a JPEG which is like a picture.  Make a folder for Recipes in your Photo files.

I have been using a program called MasterCook for years to store my recipes.  It has lots of other features that I really like - menu planning, grocery lists, etc. - that are all drag and drop.

Download an app called Evernote.  You can take photos of your recipe cards and the app will actually search handwriting to find what you're looking for, as long as the writing is reasonably legible of course. You can place them into categories as well.  There are lots of you tube videos giving hints how best to organize with the program.  I digitized all of my dear mother's recipes after she passed away a few years ago.  Takes about a minute per card/paper, if that, to load each one and put it in it's designated notebook.

Evernote is free if you upload under a designated amount of space each month so if you have a lot of recipes, you might have to do a few hundered and then wait until the next month to add more.  Or you can pay for increased storage.  Another great thing is that the notebooks are stored on the Evernote servers so you can access them away from home - to pass them along to friends, check while at the grocery store to make sure you have the ingredients, etc.

Besides recipes, I use Evernote to store almost everything - manuals and specs for my yard equipment (lawn mower, trimmer, etc) - how much/type of oil, what plug, when purchased, etc.  Another notebook has receipts for anything major I buy - we all know how they have a habit of the ink disappearing!

Thank you Everyone!  Great ideas!  I'll research some of the suggestions given here.  I MAY end up digitizing, I wanted to be able to go to "Salads" for instance and find what I want quickly and didn't know how to do that.  I'll look at the programs suggested.  I DO have a lot of recipes.  I won't take them all, of course, in the fifth wheel but I'd like a good selection.  We have many favorites.  I appreciate your help in this.

Just an observation, I noticed how many people in the previous discussion use the term "scan" to refer to digitizing a paper document.  I, also, own a scanner but for most casual "scanning" I just take a photo of the doc with my smart phone.  With just a little care the quality of the photo is more that adequate for this purpose.  If you're having trouble doing this, try turning off the flash on the camera; natural lighting won't bleach out the words nearly as much as the flash does.

If you find recipes online and prefer to store them rather than to use bookmarks to retrieve them, I highly recommend using Microsoft OneNote (part of the Microsoft Office suite).  It enables you to take simple screenshots and file them in your database.  You could create OneNote cards for each recipe type (e.g., beef, pork, fish, etc) and then add online recipes to those cards by just taking screenshots of them.

I use an app called Recipe Gallery. Very  easy to take a picture or copy from a web page. You can customize how to file your recipes.
Deb

If you have a computer or tablet,  a site I like is called Paprika.  It has  one time cost of $5.00.  It will let you import recipes from any site on the internet, organize them into any category you want, and have them available off line.  You can manually enter your favorite recipes as well.  It does a number of other things as well, but recipe storage is what I use the most.  Since my wife is disabled and I have to do all the cooking, having the recipes and directions available has lead to some pretty good meals.
Bob

Downsizing from home to 5th wheel full time might mean downsizing the appetite/menu/diet as well...

Really like the idea of advertising ingredients during a potluck event.  Never thought about the significance of that until Granddaughter developed severe food allergies her first year.  Thanks for that idea.  :))

Back
Top Bottom