Best Way To Tow A Mototrcycle Behind A MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mayfair, They do have handicap lifts and I have to wonder if a Tommy Lift type of thing would work?  That 850lb bike will be asking a lot as it just might have the rider being lifted with it.  I am sold on the van concept since I have one but a clamshell on the bed of a pickup is not a bad idea either.  EZ is totally correct in the hesitation to load the HD that like a sportbike.  That Dodge Van is awesome with all that headroom and great fuel economy. 
Phil

THIS is the kind of lift I was talking about

http://www.sportslift.com/cycletoylift2.html

Mayfair, A nice system.  Looks like it would fit the van but would it function with the van?  I guess a quick call to the folks and see what they have to say.  Saw one of those loaders at the 4 Corners Rally with a pick up.
Phil

After seeing one up close this weekend, I'd like to add the dodge Sprinter into the equation. I think that van would work well because it has the tall roof line as well as rear doors.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee94c57/cmd.233/enclosure..ee94c58

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/MikeSprinterCargo350.jpg

On another note and still thinking about the lift up cap on a p/u truck, can you retrofit the lifts from a pop up camper to fit in the stake holes? I know they have motors to use on pop ups now.

Yeah Yeah Yeah !!  ;D

mayfair,

Good find on the Sprinter.

As I look at all the different vans on the road a lot of them look like they are suitable for the job job of hauling a 850lb Harley touring bike.

From a cost, convienence and weight standpoint what would be the disadvantages of a van over a pickup? What other factors should we consider?

Thank you.

Ron,

The Dodge works well for that purpose. I still try to find a spot where I can get the ramps as level as possible to make it easier to load. It does get dirty if we run into bad weather but it doesn't take too long to clean it. I didn't want to give up off roading. :) I may not get down some of the trails we have done in the past but I'll be able to do most of them. Prichett Arch would be interesting with the longer wheel base. ;D ;D

Pete built a wooden cover for his Dakota and has his Valkerie completely enclosed. Sure does help keep it clean!

Ron said:
Jim,

I think you will be surprised how well that pickup will do off roading.  Looking forward to when we can try it out. :)

I know Pete had no trouble on The Ridge. :) Can't wait to try it out.

Jim

>>Prichett Arch would be interesting with the longer wheel base.<<

Last year we were stopped from getting to one of the arch's by a big drop in the road...don't remember if it was Prichett or Gemini,  We needed a 6"- 10" lift kit to make it so we all turned back.<G>

ezrider said:
mayfair,

Good find on the Sprinter.

As I look at all the different vans on the road a lot of them look like they are suitable for the job job of hauling a 850lb Harley touring bike.

From a cost, convienence and weight standpoint what would be the disadvantages of a van over a pickup? What other factors should we consider?

Thank you.

One of the main reasons that I mentioned the Sprinter is because of the size of the rear doors. Trying to ride a bike through regular height van doors can be pretty tricky. You have to duck as you go in.  It get's kinda hairy, especially when it comes time to back your bike OUT. The Sprinter has the taller doors that woud give you more headroom not only inside of the van, but also as you pull in.

The Sprinter was designed primarily as a work van, so I'm sure it's heavy duty enough to carry a 800lb bike. Just try and imgine how heavy a plumbers truck is !!

If you are nervous about loading the bike yourself, that lift that I posted earlier looks like it would work well in the back of the Sprinter. Ask the guy's at Daytona while down there. They'll hook you up.

From a cost standpoint, I'd assume that the Sprinter is probably inline with a nicely equipped 2500 series truck. I'm only assuming though. You'd hafta check around on that one.

Glad you liked the Dodge Van idea.  It would be ideal in many ways giving the headroom and  would handle that big HD without a problem.  Mayfairs idea for a loader is not bad.  The weight for the 2500 was sub 5000lbs which makes it a towable for even my Beaver.  The daunting part for me was the cost, almost 1.5 times more than my E150, and is there a need for a that high a profile for my needs.  All in all EZ, you may have found your trailer with a motor!
Phil   

Ron said:
Dripping Springs and Wash will be a PIECE OF CAKE as Sam says. :D

Yeh, Sam would say that! ;D The rock waterfall would be quite a challenge with the longer wheel base but it's probably not much more than a Grand Cherokee.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Jim

>>Prichett Arch would be interesting with the longer wheel base.<<

Last year we were stopped from getting to one of the arch's by a big drop in the road...don't remember if it was Pritchard or Gemini,  We needed a 6"- 10" lift kit to make it so we all turned back.<G>

Terry,

That would have to be Prichett. Gemini is like driving on a paved road. The only drop there is at the very end just before the two arches.

Jim Dick said:
Yeh, Sam would say that! ;D The rock waterfall would be quite a challenge with the longer wheel base but it's probably not much more than a Grand Cherokee.
If I recall correctly Pete had his Dodge there.

Ron said:
If I recall correctly Pete had his Dodge there.

He may have. I don't remember him being on the trip with us but it's possible since there are a lot of things I don't remember well. ;D

Jim Dick said:
He may have. I don't remember him being on the trip with us but it's possible since there are a lot of things I don't remember well. ;D

Well I sometime get things mixed up too.  Maybe we should ask Pete he might have a better recollection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom