Best Way To Tow A Mototrcycle Behind A MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ian H said:
Jim    We camped at Orange City RV Resort but the ride in for Doreen on the small pad on the choppers fender wasn't that comfy so we alternated the days with the truck.If we do daytona next year we should arrange a meet
Ian

Ian,

I'm planning on Daytona next year so let's keep in touch!! I'm hoping to be back for Biketoberfest but usually can't down here that soon.

EZ never did get back with his decision. 
We did hook up the van, E150, to our rig.  You barely know it is back there.  The rig averaged 9.6 mph this trip so it does not seem to be digging into our fuel consumption too much if at all.  Plans to install a small sink, water connect, RV drain,  electrical outlets, a small microwave and small TV are in progress.  We may even put a small fridge in it and do intend to have an awning installed on the passenger side.  By doing this we will be able to haul the motorcycle and use the van to get to places our 40' rig cannot do and spend a few days in albeit primitive but adequate accommodations.  Load the bike, a couple sleeping bags and some lawn chairs and we are ready.
I hope EZ lets us know how he aqpproached this.
Phil   

EZ, For the sake of all that is good DoN'T even try to ride that HD into a van! The first thing that will happen is IF the ramp don't slip out on you is the front wheel will enter the van and the frame will bottom out at the door area and stop like right then! YOUR
legs will be off the ground NO Balance! Very shortly you WILL loose your balance and start to fall. You will realease the front brake and it get worse. EIGHT HUNDRED FIFTY POUNDS of steel is going to fall. Ma Nature commands it! If by some act of GOD you don't get hrut badly your pretty paint and anything else that contacts the van is going to get bent. For God's sake don't try this! I broke my Left wrist, dis located my left knee sprained my left ankle cracked three ribs for grins. I tell you this because I did it. Please as a life long biker you don't have to believe me.
ask other bikers, mechanics Bike dealers ect! DON'T try it man. A trailer with a fiberglass shield on front will keep it from harm. Yes the draft from a motorhome will go right by it. No the wind will not whip the cover around enough to hurt the bike. Best case IF you did make it up the ramp the top of the van would likely get your head and break your neck! My nickname is Saddletramp1200
think about it! ???

Saddletramp, You got my CB handle ;D. 
What precautions do you recommend to load a bike into a van?  My friends do it at the race track all of the time and I have done it since the 70's.  I think EZ was looking at a Sprinter Van with the high doors.  My BMW weighs 300lbs less and I use a wide ATV ramp to do the deed.  I will not do it in the rain for obvious reasons.  EZ was thinking about some sort of fancy loading system but I do not know what he ended up with.  I think if you use common sense, good equipment and are sober you have a good system.
Phil 

Howdy! Well I got my handle from an old trucker that we were runnin' with a thousand years ago, well it seems that long. lol,
He said you ride them cicles and that old freightliner, and bikers ain't the most trustworthy of the bunch so you sound like a saddletramp to me! It stuck. As far as loading a bike into a van many factors are involved. I have a HD Electra Glide, and a 99 Goldwing. My trailer is "home made" because the ready made ones are too high to ride on safely for me. As far as a van I saw a rig that was a winch like on a 4x4 that hooked to a ring on thr front of the frame just above the front fender. He had a three piece ramp that he could put Both feet on and winch the bike into the van. He could operate the control while steering the bike into a channel on the floor or the van. Tall thing is was. Like the ones UPS has. It's slow but safe! The winch is bolted to the floor inside the van. How he gets it out I don't know. Beer was a great factor in me getting hurt. To get a bike in a van or Pickup you would have to be going at least 5 mph. Painted steel and tires arn't the best of friends. My step brother broke his neck playing football in high school. He lived 4 yrs. Someone may get away with riding a bike into a van a few times but the law of gravity says you won't get away with it over a long time. A 200 lb dirt bike yes. a 850 lb HD no. Hope I've been of some help.
Two people are always better than one even if it's someone you never met. Almost everyone likes a pretty bike! 9 of 10 RV'ers are more than happy to help. Except the old grouch! But that's another story.

Welcome to the forum, its the best one around.

I picked up the handle around 1977/78.  I had a CB mounted to my motorcycle tank, it was the size of a tankbag.  I was crisscrossing the country with my bike and a trucker called me that.  It stuck.
Van and pick up loading can be risky.  It takes time and care to do it.  You are right it is not 100% like a lift.  The wide ramp I have means I can walk the bike up into the van.  Tie downs is not a problem.  I imagine as I age, 60 now, I will do it differently.  My bike is not as heavy nor big as your beasts which makes it easier and safer. 
I had one FL which is about as big as I wanted.  I would not put it in the van I currently have but a sprinter might work.
Take care,
Phil

We have a class A MH and currently carry a motorcycle on a tray attached to our hitch.  We are moving up to 2 motorcycles and are considering the Swivelwheel (www.swivelwheel.com).  We like that it has a 360 degree wheels that track with you in any direction when you back up and handles up to 1200 lbs. We will go with the duel wheel model plus a 6 inch extension. The wheels take some of the weight off your frame, but check carefully what your rig will handle. We are also looking at the Power Ramp Loader as a little back pain prophylaxis.  Getting our bike up the ramp to the tray has been challenging to say the least.  Remember a Class A is likely 20+ inches off the ground.  Not cheap but I think worth the money.  As far as missing a car - we haven't yet.  Motorcycles are fun, get us where we want, and compared to a car - relatively cheap.  If we end up somewhere that rains for weeks on end, we either move on or rent a car for a few days to a week. Enterprise will come and get you.  Good luck.  I will be following this post to see what other suggestions are out there!

Back
Top Bottom