Blue Screen on PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holdem

I'm having trouble with the blue screen appearing on my pc. If I run my recovery disk will that fix the problem? And if I run it will I lose all of my email and facebook contacts? Thanks.

If you use the recovery disk, the computer will be reset to the way it was when you first bought it.  Any programs installed or files added by you will be lost.  If you are using web mail, like Gmail or Yahoo, then those emails and contacts will still be available on the web servers, but if your using a POP3 mail service, then those email on your computer will be gone.  Haven't you been making regular backups?

It's possible that your blue screen is caused by something that can be fixed by someone using the right tools.  Did you recently update a driver?  Those are most often the cause of a blue screen error.  Second most likely cause is bad RAM.  Again, with the right tools these can be solved without loss of data.

Before you recover and lose everything - see if it will start in safe mode and then try and solve the problem - check memory and mae sure it is working properly and if the blue screen shows an error code - google search and find the cause - recovery disk should be your last option as you lose basically everything....

Good Luck,

Jim

If it does work in safe mode, that points to a bad driver.  That can be fixed.  Also, the blue screen should have at least a brief description of the cause.  Post that and it may tell us where to look next.

I do use Yahoo mail. I haven't installed anything on the pc. I have been using the pc in safe mode with networking. But I still get the blue screen. The next time I get it I'll write down the error code and post it . Thanks very much for the help.

Well it went from bad to worse. I couldn't even get on using safe mode. So I used the recovery disk and now it's working. Only problem is my internet and yahoo email are out dated. The pc came with windows vista. Can you help me update the internet and email. Thank you.

What do you mean by "my internet and yahoo email are out dated"?  Your email and contacts are all stored on the Yahoo servers and should not be affected by anything you did to the computer.  You will have lost your bookmarks if you didn't back them up.

Yes all of my emails and contacts are still there. It's running the version of yahoo mail that was probably the version that was used when I bought the pc. Which as a few years ago.  And when I get on facebook it is very slow and asks that I upgrade the browser. I'm just not sure how to bring things current. Thanks

Before you go any further, I recommend you run chkdsk (check disk).  I'm not totally familiar with Vista, so the following may not be exact. 

Click Start button
Enter the following in the Run field - cd\c:\windows\system32
Enter the following in the Run field - chkdsk /r

chkdsk cannot perform this function while the drive is mounted, so you will be asked if you want this to be run the next time the system is rebooted (or something like that).  Answer 'yes' and reboot...then go get a cup of coffee or two or three as it will take quite some time for the process to complete, depending on your hard drive size.  Once it completes, Windows should start up normally.

What this process does is check each sector of the drive for integrity and if it detects a possible problem try to recover the data and write it somewhere else then mark that sector as a bad sector.  The marking of bad sectors is normally done with a full format, but typically a recover disk will do a quick format which will not check all sectors.

Thanks, I'm a real novice at this. Should I shut off the pc  and then his the actual start botton on the pc? And then where is the "run" field located. Thanks for the help.

Yahoo mail is all in the browser, so what you're seeing is most likely due to the browser being an old version.  If you're using Internet Explorer, and I suspect you are, then it will be updated after you do the following.

Open your Start menu by clicking the Start button at the left of the task bar on the bottom of the screen.  Find Windows Update and click it.  Tell it to check for updates and when it has found them, tell it to install them.  It will almost certainly require a reboot, so do so then run Windows Update again.  Repeat until no more updates are found.

holdem said:
Thanks, I'm a real novice at this. Should I shut off the pc  and then his the actual start botton on the pc? And then where is the "run" field located. Thanks for the help.
As I said, I am not totally familiar with Vista, but the "Start" button I'm referring to is the one you would click to get your program menu.  It s/b in the extreme left lower corner of the screen and may just be a Windows icon and not actually say "Start".  Once you click "Start", look for an item called "Run".  Typically on the right bottom of the Start menu.  Click in the field next to "Run" and you s/b be able to type there.  It is possible the "Run" option is hidden from you, in which case, you would be better off getting some direct assistance - friend, neighbor, etc. as things get even more complicated here.

That said, what I have described to you is not necessary if the hard drive is okay.  However, with the blue screen history, and age of the computer, a hard drive problem is very possible, even likely.

Thanks to both,
  I'm updating Windows (114 updates............). Then I will check my hard drive for problems. I think I'll need a entire pot of coffee. :)

Thanks again.

I can't recommend running chkdsk unless you really know what you're doing.  At best, it will find nothing and change nothing, at worst it will show you errors and you won't know what they mean.  Since you just did a full recovery, it's unlikely that chkdsk will be of any help.

The quickest way to get to the run box is {Windows Key}+r, but there are easier ways to run programs like chkdsk.  And Tom's instructions left out a step, running CMD.EXE to get a command line.  And that's not a place for a novice to be :)

Ned said:
I can't recommend running chkdsk unless you really know what you're doing.  At best, it will find nothing and change nothing, at worst it will show you errors and you won't know what they mean.  Since you just did a full recovery, it's unlikely that chkdsk will be of any help.

The quickest way to get to the run box is {Windows Key}+r, but there are easier ways to run programs like chkdsk.  And Tom's instructions left out a step, running CMD.EXE to get a command line.  And that's not a place for a novice to be  :)
Oh yes, there is that little detail (cmd.exe) and I agree with Ned that it is no place for a novice.  I disagree that it doesn't fix problems with the hard drive, however.  I've salvaged several disks with it.

SeilerBird said:
I have never had to run CMD.EXE ever in my life.
And I've never smoked marijuana, but that has little to do with the OPs problem.

While chkdsk will fix hard drive problems, and I've used it many times, I don't think it's going to help in this case.  That's all I'm saying.

If you are using Yahoo Mail to "Update" you simply click on the proper link on the screen and it will take you to the currrnt offal vorsion of Yahoo mail.. Me. I like Classic.  And no Offal was not a typo in my opinion.. Though "official" is the word Yahoo would use).

Internet... Will happen one of these tuesdays. May take a few weeks.

Or you can do a windows UPDATE from the start menu... I do not know how to do that on vista.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom