Bodywork shine - Red Max Pro 3 no longer avail - ZEP is same product :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Between Dandelions and Parsley I'll choose Parsley every time.  Parsley is an aphrodisiac, don't you know ?

Don't buy any more blue pills.    ;D

carson said:
Between Dandelions and Parsley I'll choose Parsley every time.  Parsley is an aphrodisiac, don't you know ?
Don't buy any more blue pills.    ;D

Yeah! but, I've never heard of Parsley Wine ;)

Lou, you haven't lived. I made Dandelion wine one time many years ago. There is a recipe for that.

Don't bother looking it up, it was horrible; same thing for Salal Berry wine. But if you are desperate that's' another story.  A good Scotch beats it every time.
  Is this an RV forum

Finally got the other side and the front cap done. I haven't bothered with the rear cap yet because it still looks pretty good.

Results are outstanding, IMHO. The pics don't really capture it very well. I think it helps to have a little lower light to see the shine. One thing that is very noticeable in the pics is the mirror. It was completely matte before and is nice and glossy now.

I ditched the spray bottle for this side.  Lou, I didn't do the mop either. Probably would have been quicker. I used the microfiber cloths, but this time I had a bucket with the Zep in it and just dipped the cloth and wrung it out so it wasn't dripping. It went on really quick and I got much better coverage than with the spray bottle.

First photo is before, last two are after. Like I say, difference is a lot more noticeable in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 155
Bootiful. :D  Great job - doesn't it make you feel good?  Microfiber for me every time too - easy to use and (evidently) is completely consistent each time.

Yay. :)

I made Dandelion wine one time many years ago.

Same here Carson, but that was back in the home country. Maybe it would be good as a polish for RVs. Surely, it can't be any worse than floor wax  ???

Thanks, Dougie. Btw, for anyone planning to do this in the future, I bought a six pack of the microfiber towels. I found that even though I had scrubbed and then washed the coach, the towel used for the first coat got pretty dirty. After the first coat, I just threw that towel away. I was then able to use one more towel for the other three coats on that side. The rest of the coats go on pretty quick and the towel stays clean.

[quote author=jagnweiner]
Lou, I didn't do the mop either. Probably would have been quicker. I used the microfiber cloths.[/quote]

LOL if you were 75 (like me) you would appreciate how easy it is to apply with the sponge mop wrapped with a microfiber cloth.

Your rig looks great.

BTW - you will appreciate how easy bugs come off those mirrors now.

Just Lou said:
LOL if you were 75 (like me) you would appreciate how easy it is to apply with the sponge mop wrapped with a microfiber cloth.

Your rig looks great.

BTW - you will appreciate how easy bugs come off those mirrors now.

Funny you say that, Lou. Honestly, when I was posting that I thought about adding "because I'm still young enough to go up and down the ladder."  ;D. But I didn't want to be rude.

On the mirrors, no bugs would be nice, but my biggest mirror problem is that in the field where I park it, there is a bird that likes to sit on the passenger side view mirror (just the passenger) and repeatedly crap all over the mirror.  :mad:

Get one of those little bobblehead owls and stick it on the mirror.  No more birddo.

Back to shiny stuff.

303  great stuff for the poly things.  I have one of those Yalima rooftop boxes, bought used, been outside, faded and dirty.  Cleaned it from the dust and grime, and put on the 303.  Awesome.

Jag,
Did you put a new sticker on the side of the coach?

The first picture does not show the word Horizon on the side of your rig and the other 2 do. What gives???

The deployment has been called off and I am going back to my regular job at the shop at the end of the month. I am going to start using the BKF on the outside of the Titanic tonight. Looks like I get to drive the old girl home the end of the month.

Chief-

I did put new "Horizon" decals on each side.  It is a two tone decal, with lighter color around the edge.  The originals looked awful, with the lighter colored edge peeling away.  My original plan was to use a razor blade to trim around each letter to remove the peeling part.  Then I discovered that I could buy new decals for $19.  Easy decision.  It actually includes the "Itasca" as well, but I didn't need to replace that part. 

I added the decall after I had scrubbed, but before applying the Zep.  This actually provides an example of how the photos are not really representative.  Where I scraped off the old decal, it's pure white clean fiberglass, while everything else is cream colored with checking.  It's quite obvious in person but barely shows up in the photo at all.

Look forward to seeing the rejuvenated Titanic.

You have it looking outstanding. I will have to put the rest of the work on the Titanic on hold for a little while. I am
going back to my shop and the sequestration is starting to kick in now. I will be loosing a grand a month in pay so we have to live on the cheap for a little while :-[

I have the ridge panels on my MH, I hope it turns out as good as yours when i do it.

ChiefM said:
I am going back to my shop and the sequestration is starting to kick in now. I will be loosing a grand a month in pay so we have to live on the cheap for a little while :-[

Me too.  :( But we've been planning our Utah trip since I was in Afghanistan so we are following through with it and just eating into savings.

The barkeepers worked great on the side panels, so good I might have to do the whole MH with the bar keepers and then the ZEP. I have plans to go to the Talladega race in October, might still go but might have to do the free camping instead of the infield.

Hi Dougie...I'm new here and was enjoying reading the various posts...yours, however, caught my attention...I plan on using Zep Wet Look Floor Finish on my '98 fiberglass motorhome....the front and back definitely have to be done but the two sides still have very little shine to them...my question is, should I use the same process as the oxidized front and back??  Thanks in advance for your reply...

Mars    (Marcel)

PS: By the way, I'm from Quebec, Canada  :) 

Yes, do all four sides. The Zep is essentially adding a shiny clear coat finish even if there is no shine.

What a great tutorial!

Hey- for clarification: white streaks on older decals is good to use BKF and scrubbie?

Back
Top Bottom