Boondocking Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same frustrations as everyone else on information videos. Many (most?) are focused on telling a story and I just want the info. I finally learned to keep hitting the fast forward bar to get the info without the excess narrative.

Thanks gentlemen for all the useful tips for videos and webs and speedreading insights :) Yep, to speedforward vids to get to the core is something I learned too... to resist the temptation on narrative.

Personally I like YouTube videos and can say they have helped me figure out at least 3 problems.  Maybe they could be done by reading but seeing what is being described is best for me.  Since I don't do any boondocking I have no need for YouTube in that area.

But then you have to be aware that the nut jobs can also make YouTube videos.  I live close to the Pensmore mansion near Highlandville, Missouri.  A huge home still under construction (for something like 9 years) but one nut job made an entire video of him driving in the area, describing the purpose of the mansion as home of the Illuminati and having a basement that he says has a tunnel from Missouri to the White House.  Okaaaaaaaay.

Bill

Personally I like YouTube videos and can say they have helped me figure out at least 3 problems.  Maybe they could be done by reading but seeing what is being described is best for me.  Since I don't do any boondocking I have no need for YouTube in that area.
I'm on the fence with this. I don't like using data to view information I can easily read, but love their "How To" videos. Have learned to do many projects that I would have paid someone else to do.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I'm on the fence with this. I don't like using data to view information I can easily read, but love their "How To" videos. Have learned to do many projects that I would have paid someone else to do.
Definitely useful for how to do something, totally agree with that Gene!

IBTrilpping...  $20 pass, didn't you get it when only $10?  And if you have the $20 it is only a annual.'

As for easier to make a video than type, really?  Making a vid is a pain, and then edit and then go through the load hoops.  Not all that easy.

I also like YouTube videos. I use them for simple household repairs. I can pause and back up the video if needed. I use YouTube to see how to winterize and dewinterize the RV. The problem with written instructions is if they are not completely comprehensive they are pretty much useless. Technical writing is not easy. If a step is left out the reader is lost.

While I agree that You Tube has it's place. In our current location You tube is not a option.

Gizmo100 said:
While I agree that You Tube has it's place. In our current location You tube is not a option.
Is that cause you are boondocking with no proper wifi?  ;D you dont need YouTube just look out your window! ????????????????

Frank B said:
Then add in all the ridiculous intro material these folks feel the need to add, and you waste another couple of minutes. Then they all want to discuss all kinds of extraneous topics, and you suddenly get 10 minutes of time to provide a few thousand words of ?real? data.

Indeed! One of my pet peeves. Also up there with annoying, useless intros would be really BAD or overly loud music which also does nothing to enhance the video. It seems to me that while there are certainly some who use music effectively, far too many just don't have a clue.

On the other hand... it might just be me. More than once I started to add a comment objecting to the music only to read a numer of commenters writing something like "Cool music dude!" or, "Who does that great song?".  No accounting for taste obviously...  ::)

Dragginourbedaround said:

Oh, I agree about "how-to" videos.  Those are truly valuable.  But for boondocking tips?  I don't see how having to watch a video is better for me than being able to scan the information and read it more carefully if it seems valuable.

PancakeBill said:
As for easier to make a video than type, really?  Making a vid is a pain, and then edit and then go through the load hoops.  Not all that easy.

The few forays I've made into youtube land don't reveal any editing--just start the camera and go.  And I can't remember which fulltimer it is, but one of them actually said that making videos is easier than writing, so that's what they're going to be doing. 

androns said:
Thanks gentlemen for all the useful tips for videos and webs and speedreading insights :)

Not everyone who responded is a gentleman.  Or even a man.

The video in the OP is by a poster named Grand Adventure.  He's also a member here in the forum. 
I've been subscribed to his YouTube channel for a while.  He's got some great drone videos of some of the spots he's boondocked in.
I've got several of those spots saved in case I'm ever in that area and need a place.

Back
Top Bottom