Boondocking SCARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am saying that in my humble opinion there are always better alternatives than firearms.

I'm in Florida so I don't understand the "get it by mail" statement. We (DW) and I had to take the course and very glad we did. It helped to drum home the decisions that must be made before even exhibiting a firearm. If anything it has made me more temperate towards others now realizing the possibilities of taking anothers life in anger or mistaken actions.

Shotgun for home defense.....Mossburg JIC...stand for Just IN Case. or shortened mossburg model 500, progressive home defense loads with last one slug..JIC.

To Frank...I certainly hope there is ALWAYS an option other than a firearm. That said there was an occasion where someone else having possession of a handgun assuredly saved my life. 1 unarmed middle aged construction worker against 4 large armed blacks in middle of the night isn't a fair fight. Thank GOD for the truck driver next to me.

Frank, I understand and deeply respect you position.

[quote author=FrankNSharon]The following is quoted in whole from another location on the web....[/quote]

Frank, please review our forum rules re such quotes. It's best to paraphrase and provide a link to the source.

This has become such an interesting thread.  Lot's of opinions.  Here's mine.  Firearms and their possesion will always be a controversial subject no matter what the circle.  Every person makes there choices regarding firearms, based on their beliefs.  I respect the opinion of those who choose to have nothing to do with firearms or their use.  I am not one of those people though.  One of my beliefs is that the United States of America has never been invaded by another country due in part because of the 2nd ammendment.  The right to keep and bear arms.  I would guess that there are millions of law abiding citizens who exercise their 2nd ammendment rights.  I'm glad for that.

Here's a quote from Thomas Jefferson.  A pretty smart fellow I think.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one"

If firearms are not effective, why do millions of police officers and military personnel carry them?  Seems obvious to me.  I agree that one should have the proper training, skill, and attitude also.

At what price:

50,000 intentional gun shot injuries per year
20,000 unintentional gun shot injuries per year
14,000 intentional gun shot deaths per year
18,000 suicides by gun shot per year

Just in the USA, that is 280 incidents per day, everyday. Incidents that have a major negative impact on some family's life, all so we might protect ourself someday if some bear happens to wander into our RV...

Everyone is concerned with government costs, we this causes escalating law enforcement costs in trying to keep up with the criminals in the "arms race".

Seems the price to bear arms is getting a bit high. But, that is just my opinion, the reality is I see no way to change it at this point so I live with it and accept that others feel differently that I do.

Frank,, you really need to check recent stat's. All areas that have loosend gun controls have had a DECLINE in violent crime and deaths.>>>Dan

Lou,

Just for you - :)

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

That is 4 year old data, so lets accept a 20% reduction for Dan, and I will add the following:

Annually, gunshot wounds cost an estimated U.S. $126 billion. Cut/stab wounds cost another U.S. $51 billion. The gunshot and cut/stab totals include U.S. $40 billion and U.S. $13 billion respectively in medical, public services, and work-loss costs. Across medically treated cases, costs average U.S. $154,000 per gunshot survivor and U.S. $12,000 per cut/stab survivor. Gunshot wounds are more than three times as common in the U.S. than in Canada, which has strict handgun control.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9183471

Seems pretty expensive even if we allow for a 20% reduction in the data I quoted. That is $126B per year, so in a decade (10 years) that is $1.26Trillion dollars - about enough to balance the budget that everyone is so upset about - :)

Frank

:)

Chet18013 said:
A 2 million candle power light will momentary blind someone at night. A gas charged boat horn will make enough noise to stop someone and bear spray will stop them cold. Why carry a gun and risk shooting  someone -  maybe the wrong person?

If someone is drunk enough (or on PCP), he may not even NOTICE bear spray.  Heck, he may not notice a small-caliber gunshot wound unless it hits a vital organ!

My uncle was attacked by a guy on PCP.  He took an entire magazine (including shots through both lungs and one dead-center in the chest) and didn't go down until the last shot severed his carotid artery.  He replaced his Walther .380 with a S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum the next day.  His carry gun is now a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

ochidoc said:
On the very first night of our cross country trip this summer we slept in a Walmart in Davenport Iowa.  At 4 am , I was awoken by a scraping noise, sounding like someone was under the coach, or in the bins.  (We were directly under a light)  I jumped over the darling husband, who heard NOTHING, and peeked out the front window to see a man standing three inches from the window looking under the coach.  I FREAKED., jumped in the drivers seat, and tried to start the engine to run the $)(*%$ over! ... Luckilly for everyone I couldnt find the ignition key, and as I was looking I noticed that the guy had a remote control car that he was running around the parking lot.  Really?  at four am?  are you KIDDING ME?  The RV was his obstacle course?  Unbelievable.  I guess it must have gotten stuck under the coach, and he was retrieving it, but from the sounds that awoke me, it was apparant that this had been going on for a while.  .  .  . 

After my heart got back to some sort of normal rhythm, the DH took the keys from me , and we had a really, really early start THAT morning.  Didnt stay in another Walmart for the rest of the trip. Not sure if I ever will unless there are other RVs there.

We travelled with pepper spray, high intensity flashlights, and the son's airsoft gas powered pistol.

I would have LOVED to introduce him to the air horn on my Genesis!  Preferably when he is leaning to look under the front! (The air horn mounts to the left framerail just behind the bumper.)

Mexray said:
Here's my wife, Patricia, decked out for some boon-docking 'fun'... :eek:  She's a pistol packin' mama!

Nothing on the center spot...she needs to work on that!

(And do I need new glasses, or is that a Smith & Wesson?)

FrankNSharon said:
At what price:

50,000 intentional gun shot injuries per year
20,000 unintentional gun shot injuries per year
14,000 intentional gun shot deaths per year
18,000 suicides by gun shot per year

Just in the USA, that is 280 incidents per day, everyday. Incidents that have a major negative impact on some family's life, all so we might protect ourself someday if some bear happens to wander into our RV...

Not to discount the significance of the above numbers, they pale by comparison to the number of unintentional fatal motor vehicle accidents and injuries per year.  Also, I would not include the suicides as anyone so inclined will find a way.  The only statistic that concerns me is the unintentional gun shot injuries per year. 

NHTSA stats for 2009
Fatal automobile crashes 30,797
Automobile injuries 1,517,000 

While I don't own a hand gun or rifle, I'm glad I have that option.  From what I've read on this thread, gun owners are likely better educated and safety oriented than the average automobile owner.  Personally I think our vehicle licensing laws are inadequate and I'm reminded of that every time walk to a store or return to my vehicle when shopping.

Gary   

Pick your position; pick your numbers; pick your analysis/interpretation of the numbers. It all comes down to your personal decision after weighing pros and cons, what is acceptable risk; and what your willingness and ability to use are.
I look at the numbers that say 80% are criminal acts. I look at the numbers for accidental deaths and the underlying circumstances (all members of my household are trained in the use of firearms; access by children is not allowed; guns are not used as toys). I look at what risk I am willing to accept. The numbers for suicides to me personally are a null value based on my personal ethics/morality.
Based on my analysis and personal decision, it is incumbent on me to provide for my and my families protection (when seconds count, the police are only minutes away).
All anyone can do is make their own decision and be happy that unbeknownst to them, their neighbor is probably providing some protection for the community.
Also, kudos to all for keeping this community discussion so polite and civilized.

here in Canada no guns or mace allowed for the average person , so we carry cans of bee and wasp spray, range is a lot further than mace and more direct, and legal to carry .plus added bonus, use it to get rid of bees around public garbage pails.

I will take my chances with attacking wild life at a camp site w/ my SW 40cal.

Frank and people who agree w/ him can keep yelling shoo.....

I like my odds better!

I think I will bite my tongue, this thread has been too civil so far to respond to that remark.

Cobra said...
Frank and people who agree w/ him can keep yelling shoo.....

Then Frank said ...
I think I will bite my tongue, this thread has been too civil so far to respond to that remark.

Frank, I understand, in as much as you never said you would respond to a home invasion or an attacking animal by saying "shoo." You have pretty much thrown Poo on everyone else who suggested a violent response to violence. You have a better idea, but have not shared it with the rest of us.

At this point, in the spirit of this friendly, helpful forum and in view of the quotes, above, I think it is pretty much time to share the correct response with us. Soooo....

How would you respond to a violent home invasion, and have you ever done that? (I have, on several occasions, and know what I will do. But, if there is a better way, I would much prefer that.)

(Heart pounding fear! Irritating/frightening/intimidating police questions.  :eek:  Lawyer money. Court time when I'd rather be elsewhere. Uncertainty. Gotta be a better way!)  :-\

How would you respond to a maurading dangerous animal, in your campsite? (Again, I've been there, done that, but would like a better idea.)

Hope direct questions don't intimidate you, and you find time to respond, soon.  8)

Thank you in advance.

Ray D  :)

I am not intimidated I am insulted, and this is exactly the reason these topics are not allowed, they always degenerate into you type of comments. I have not shoveled poo on anyone in this thread, I have simply disagreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom