Boondocking SCARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cafe Press gun sticker search yields many gems!

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty daughters do.
Keep moving. Nothing worth your life here. (pic showing revolver pointed at the viewer)
Coexist (a play on the hippy sticker using gun mfr logos)
I carry a gun. Because a cop is too heavy.
Warning anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning (revolver barrel pic)
(yet another barrel perspective) Do not screw with this truck. (And pull up your GD pants)
Fight crime. Shoot back.
Heavily armed. Easily pissed.
When guns are outlawed I'll be an outlaw
Warning trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

[quote author=anemic]I used to have Ruffed Grouse Society and Trout Unlimited stickers but the deterrent effects of a dry fly to the eye may not be sufficient.[/quote]

One of the grandkids bought me a t-shirt bearing a large image of a tied fly and the words 'Frequent flyer' below. One day someone asked me "which airline?"  ???

This has been a great discussion and the humor has been outstanding.  My background is in Insurance and Risk Management so I have a tendency to think in terms of what can go wrong and what can be done to avoid or minimize the risk.  Because of that, I'm probably a bit more diligent than the average traveler.  I've thought about personal weapons since we began RVing 3 years ago.  Never owned a weapon and other than target shooting as a teenager when visiting relatives on a farm, have never fired a weapon.  Putting thing in perspective, I was a teenager 50 years ago.     

My wife and I enjoy boondocking.  The last time was by a river in the John Day area of Eastern Oregon.  We were the only RV in a BLM spot that could accommodate maybe 10 RV's.  The spot was remote, probably 5 to 10 miles from the nearest town of maybe 150 people.  To be honest, I was pretty uncomfortable and not happy with the location since I had no real protection.  I don't count the small hatchet I keep in the cupboard above the bed as a great defensive weapon. 

My question to the group is, what are your suggestions for a 68 year old grandpa who has never owned a gun before?  I've been seriously considering it for a couple of years.  I would definitely take the gun safety courses and keep the weapon in a secure locked area.  I like the idea of a shot gun since I honestly believe that anyone outside that hears the shot gun being loaded is probably going to look for easier prey.  But my wife and I enjoy hiking and frequently are in areas that can be remote.  In these situations a hand gun would be best.  I'm thinking more for when we accidently get between mommy bear and her cubs. 

Gary 

To reply on the trails and wildlife, you will need at least a 40 caliber hand gun to deal with a bear. Even the most experienced will have a high heart rate if they ran into a momma bear. I would suggest you stop by a gun shop in your area. Most of them have a shooting range and have a Concealed Carry (weapon) Permit classes or work with someone that does. You can handle and shoot handguns to get a feel on what you would feel comfortable with. CCP are not for everyone. If you feel you could not kill with a gun then I would consider some other deterrent. I would also carry a razor sharp knife and get used to how it feels. This could save your life if you were to get attacked. The choice is yours and what you will feel comfortable with.

garyb1st said:
I would definitely take the gun safety courses and keep the weapon in a secure locked area.  I like the idea of a shot gun since I honestly believe that anyone outside that hears the shot gun being loaded is probably going to look for easier prey.
Amen for the gun safety courses and add to this periodic practice to become comfortable and proficient with the weapon of choice. You need to know how to use one, be aware of features, safety, loading magazine, maintenance and all the other things that go with operating your weapon.
A weapon that is secure and locked away or not loaded is not as good as your hatchet. It needs to be immediately available.
For household and boondocking use, one with an attached tactical illuminator (very bright light) that comes on when you grasp it, it can give peace of mind that what you may wish to target is actually a threat and not the DW getting up to visit the loo.
Bob
Bottom line, is be aware of your environment, evaluate for threats if any and prepare yourself in how you will respond and what risk you are willing to accept. By the way, running if possible is always a good response if possible. :)

For a long time now I have had my eyes on the Taurus Judge. If loaded progressively with first bird shot and last round being the 410 slug or LC45 it could be an excellent deterrent. Shot pattern spread so rapidly with small shot at 6ft it's only good for snakes.  I may feel different when I finally have one and tote it around for awhile. They are impressive just by their looks alone. But then there is nothing like the sound of a pump action shotgun loading up a round to make em pull up dos pants an run.

Garyb1st,
YES, take a course and be sure it is done by a NRA certified instructor. Second don't just go out and buy a gun. Most places that offer the course will have a gun for you to rent for the course. Third, find a gun range or ranges that rent guns. Try different ones until you find the one that you are comfortable shooting, are accurate with, and the recoil doesn't make you want to flinch. Then practice,practice,practice. Keeping your gun locked up while camping is a useless as not having one. "Excuse me mr. bad guy I have to go get my gun from the safe. Time out." You get the idea. Study your training manuals and remember the four basic rules, 1.NEVER point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy 2. Know what is behind your target 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 4. MOST IMPORTANTLY ALL guns are always loaded until you have personally cleared them, this includes the ones you put back in the safe unloaded. No one with the proper training is just going to pick up a gun and shoot at someone shining a light in their window. Yes I would have my gun in my hand but not where it could be seen. Then I would call out to the intruder as the wife is on the phone with the police dept. Then when they state "Sheriff, exit the vehicle" I would demand they shine the light on their uniform. No compliance, no exit the vehicle until my wife confirms through their dispatcher they are who they say they are or the real police arrive. Yes. You can think like this even freshly awakened like that. You just have to work out different scenarios in your mind and take the instances that started this thread and use them to train yourself as to what you would do. Gun play is the very last resort and only when great bodily harm or death is imminent. In all the gun forums I frequent the medias biased portrayal of gun owners is not accepted. If anyone comes in with that kind of an attitude they are set straight real quick.

I ordered the mace gun from Amazon.I signed up for their credit card and they knocked off $40.Cost me $3.49.My wife won,t let me bring my friend L.C.SMITH

I have yet to take a trip but when I do I will be carrying a .40 and a 9.  The .40 is mine and the 9 is my wife's.

wbilotta said:
I have yet to take a trip but when I do I will be carrying a .40 and a 9.  The .40 is mine and the 9 is my wife's.
Traveled numerous trips:
9 mil moi
380 auto DW
12 Gauge just in case we go hunting.
Have a target pistol that I will have with us if we plan on any plinking while on the trip.

How about this sign to place on the door after you bed down.

"If you are law enforcement please knock loudly and identify yourself.  Please be prepared to prove your identity.
If you are not law enforcement and you pose threat of bodily harm you will be met with deadly force."

It's polite enough good guys in law enforcement and doesn't threaten life, only that deadly force is available and may be used.  Might make someone with intent of no good have second thoughts.  We don't travel a lot where we're overnighting (boondocking).  We camp in managed campgrounds.  Our deadly force is with us, several of them, mainly because there's a lot of bears where we camp.  A co worker lives about a mile from one of our favorite campgrounds and she had a 600lb (est.) bear on the deck by her bedroom the other night.

I spend a good deal of time around guns in my job and after reading the posts I can say that it's important to have some sort of weapon around when you camp like that.  I am very pro gun but I have learned the best weapon is the one you are most comfortable with.  Be that a bat - golf club or a spear gun. Lol.  I am currently researching cross bows as I have never had one and always wanted to try them.

But one thing that strikes me right away is that you left you blinds open.  I used to be like that but 15 years of marriage trained me to shut the blinds.  My wife hates the thought that someone might be out there.

I am so shocked the police left the light on you all for that long.  Man o man. 

You sound like a nice guy who took it well.   

I do agree about the dog idea someone posted.  My lab would have gone nuts the second tires crunched gravel.

Thats my first line of defense at my home. 

Hope you have better luck and thanks for sharing.

Safe to say that my DW will not allow a blinds up sleeping experience ever again!

There was a gate about 150 yards down the two track we were slightly parked off. So the copcar was parked well out of earshot. We probably would not have even caught his eye, but for a 50x50 event tent that first caught his eye which was slightly off the two track about halfway down, ~75 yards. He went to investigate that, and THEN saw us. during the daytime there was hardly anybody coming by the entire area, and what little traffic there was shut off completely at sunset. We had reasonable expectation that nobody would come thru, and I'm sure that was the case, notwithstanding the officer!

Yes he kept the maglite on us for an incredibly long time...& to think we did have a gun trained on us...yikes.

Awareness is good, and now we are aware! Even if awakened, this experience will come to bear, should this happen again. Now I am aware that all I need to do is find any two RVs and park near 'em. Certainly one of youse will be "protected!"

After reading all of the responses here I am seriously considering stopping our plans to full time in an RV at public camp grounds. I don't want to be that close to so many people with guns and nothing but 1 1/2 inches of foam between me and them waking up in the middle of the night and firing off a few rounds.

Each to their own when it comes to guns, but my personal impression is that the average American is not smart enough to find their way out of a phone booth without a map, much less intelligently use a weapon at 2AM after being up all day sucking down beers...

Here's hoping I never meet any of you under those circumstances.

I really intended to stay out of this, but - - - :eek:

Each to their own when it comes to guns, but my personal impression is that the average American is not smart enough to find their way out of a phone booth without a map, much less intelligently use a weapon at 2AM after being up all day sucking down beers...

There are an awful lot of "average Americans." I kinda think of myself that way. Think we all suck down beers, all day and then start shooting guns? Did you really mean what you wrote in the quote above? Is there a chance that I missunderstand you?  :( 

I have never seen any of this happen. Have you?

Thanks in advance for your reply.  ???  :-\

Ray, Average American, D  :(

I really intended to stay out of this, but - - - :eek:
Yea, what Ray said!!!
I have never fired a weapon outside of my Army career and hope I never have to (except at targets). With that said my MH ALWAYS has our dogs, blinds pulled and my pistol.
I'm sure this post wasn't intended to be offensive but if you think about it you are probably around many more people with firearms than you know.
9 million gun owners shot no one today! That will never make the 6pm news.
nuff said...

FrankNSharon said:
After reading all of the responses here I am seriously considering stopping our plans to full time in an RV at public camp grounds. I don't want to be that close to so many people with guns and nothing but 1 1/2 inches of foam between me and them waking up in the middle of the night and firing off a few rounds.

Here's hoping I never meet any of you under those circumstances.

Does this mean you consider yourself to be an "above average" American?  I wonder what that would be based on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom