Bounder entry steps stuck retracted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How did you get them un-stuck?  Lubrication of some kind, or were they bound up in another way?

The Youtube link you posted mentions that the video is private and cannot be viewed.  You'll need to change the viewing permission to Unlisted (can be viewed by those who have the link) or Public (can be searched on Youtube and viewed by anyone).

scottydl said:
How did you get them un-stuck?  Lubrication of some kind, or were they bound up in another way?

The Youtube link you posted mentions that the video is private and cannot be viewed.  You'll need to change the viewing permission to Unlisted (can be viewed by those who have the link) or Public (can be searched on Youtube and viewed by anyone).

Oops -- I made the video public.

I got them unstuck by pulling the motor out. With the motor removed, the steps freely swung down and became extendable again. My guess is they just hadn't been lubed much by the previous owner. They seemed a little stiff.

Good deal!  Keep them lubed (a "dry lube" spray is usually recommended to keep oily gunk from accumulating) and see what happens.  Sometimes the internal motor brushes can develop rust and bind up too, but that probably should not be happening yet on your 2014.

I used a white motorcycle chain lube that I had around, seemed like a reasonable enough application for it. I thought I had an all-purpose white lithium spray but couldn't find it. But yes, regular lubes will be on the menu from here on out!

Oh dear, I do hope someone is reading this.  Our 2014 Bounder steps are retracted and we are traveling thru Wyoming getting in and out of our motorhome with a little ladder. 

They stopped working one day after my husband overrode them with the switch to make space for another vehicle in a gas station.  Not sure if that is a coincidence or not.  We read all the posts and we found the proper fuses, a 3 amp and a 20 amp in the same compartment (passenger,front) with the inverter.  Both fuses were good but we replaced the 20 amp anyway.  We bought the ladder.

Pulled out of campground this am and steps started working.  The worked perfectly probably 20 times of in and out so far today.  Just pulled into Walmart just no and opened door.  No step.  I?m thinking it?s a bad ground, since the motor works and the fuses are ok.

The ground that attaches to the frame right under the steps looks fine, but should we try to clean it?  It seems to have already been painted to prevent corrosion around the connection.  Is there another ground somewhere?

So far the two hints we have read are to hit the motor with something.  BTW, my husband lubes the steps several times a year without fail.

I sure hope someone can help as it is not a pretty picture being a 72-year old woman carrying a ladder in and out of a motor home, especially with an ornery husband that made her chase him thruough walmart parking lot in Rawlins Wyoming carrying ladder.

Back
Top Bottom